SV Gurus, GSXR Front End

Discussion in 'General' started by sportbikepete, Jan 9, 2007.

1. sportbikepete

sportbikepete Well-Known Member

Want to install a GSXR inverted front end on my 1st gen SV. First question is what years can I consider for the forks. Second question what bearings for the steering stem do I need to get? Lastly, yes I know it will no longer be SS legal.
    THX!!!!

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Do a search on here, as there's bunches of info.

You can run anything from a 94 - 02 GSXR750 front end. We had run both.

3. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

I went that route....then went back to the stock front end...even on my superbike SV. Good luck man!!!

4. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

pm zoran (TWF2). he's the gsxr conversion guru.

i personally like the stock front end with ak-20's.

5. sportbikepete

sportbikepete Well-Known Member

OK the response seems to forget the conversion and go fro the Brembo.

6. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Don't forget the rotors if you can...they don't hurt. :) (Since you said that braking was one of the problems.)

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Yeah I don't think you need it unless you want the ease of adjustability.

8. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

My buddy lost 3 seconds a lap at Grattan after installing a gsxr 1000 front end on his SV

9. Suzuki freak

Suzuki freak New Member

SV650 for sale

Dude I just sold my GSXR1000 front end for my SV650(99). If anyone knows of someone looking for a bike to take to the track. As a track day bike. Let them know that I have a 99' that I want to sell. It needs a carb clean. I ahve not used the bike in three years. Work, moving, and my kid did'nt let me finish the project. I tried to make it a cafe racer for the track. It needs a shift light as well. Any way I want $2800.00. It has damper, and lots of extras. Thanks everyone.

10. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

why did you go back?

11. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

I just installed a right side up gsxr 600 front end on my bike with Zoran's conversion kit. With one track day on it and some knob fiddling (thanks Kris!), it already feels better than my '99 slightly worked front end and the brakes will take some serious reprograming on my part. Anyone I could talk into riding endurance on the thing complained about the stock front end and brakes. Hopefully the new stuff and a ball gag will end that.

12. CATMAN

CATMAN Well-Known Member

I have a 01-02 installed now, am putting in an 1K gsxr (in an ohlin R&T)soon so will have it available- the 01-02 forks i have, rock! will come w/complete bearings stem wheel! no guru just bougth it that way- John in NJ

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  13. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

All the slow guys run Gixxer fronts. I guarantee that I am just as fast on the regular SV front end that is properly set up for my fat ass. Dont waste your time or money.

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I guess I was slow when I ran my SV then. (not that I disagree with you) ;)

15. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Well, I saw on SUPEBIKERS a guy doing SV650 mods, and he said the GSXR front end was the only way to make the SV safe. :rolleyes:

So there.

16. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Be better off saving ur money. The gsxr front end makes it a little harder to turn, and although the brakes are much better, the weight difference doesnt help at all. Our endurance bike has got the gsxr front, and going from that to the sprint bike with stock, night and day, sprint bike is much easier to ride. Get Jon at CTR to set you up.

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

For you 2nd gen SV superbike guys who are aligned with the fast boys (Kris87, Ghetto) and build a righteous front end with the stock forks, I have a pair of those fancy wave rotors that I'd like to swap for a set of stock rotors. I'll be running ss and I think wera said no to wave rotors for this season... shoot me a pm.

18. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

I guess that I am proof that you can be slow on the stock front end also. But with the new '01 600 forks, I don't suffer from "front end envy". Maybe it will give me another excuse.

19. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

The GSXR front end wasn't helping my times really. it was harder to get the bike where I wanted it. Difficult to compare to other bikes setup. Etc...

Plus I was going to the ROC and wanted two bikes with nearly identical setups juuuust in case. It also made switching between them easier. The handling was nearly identical.

20. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

:stupid:

- Roach