WTF is wrong with movie theatres?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawn Dart, Dec 8, 2006.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

greatest movie theatre ever is http://www.brewvies.com/ in SLC. Cheap movies, $4.00 a pop, plus, the whole 'concession stand' is a pub. The theater has a shelf for your pitchers and pub grub. Found it on a business trip to SLC a few months ago. I dont know why more of these aren't around. Drink beer, eat wings and watch flicks for cheap. Genius.

Almost enough to make Utah worth living in, .....well not really, but if it was closer to Miller then maybe...:)

2. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Movie theaters are for sheep.

3. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Too many dolts with cell phones on and bad attitudes with it's supposed to be quiet.

Wait until it comes out on DVD.

Plus, there is soo much comfort to be enjoyed in your own home.

4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Crying babies are everywhere, they are even all over the BBS.

5. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

With the cost of DLP projectors these days you can get set up with a 100" wide screen, 720P projector and fair suround sound for under $2000.
    My current projector is only 480P and it looks pretty good at 100". After chrimbo I'm going to upgrade not only for picture quality but some other features too.

6. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

It is true that movie ticket prices are too high, but then again so is a gallon of gas, race tires, diamond tiaras, etc. Production costs are way higher than ever to and the studios are in it for a profit. Theatres make thier rent on the sodas, etc. so all you guys lamanting the loss of the drive ins and then sneaking your own food into the theatres or staying home just remember when there are no more theatres to go to who's fault it will be. Was that clear? I'm a but hung over still.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Yeah, but movies are optional. The other stuff isn't. :D

I can live without movies.

8. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

True, so true

9. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

We don't have drive -ins around Atlanta due to development and suburban sprawl. I buy all this stuff at the movies 'cause I like to spend money (believe it or not).The only place where the soda mix is right is in a movie theater,for reasons unknown.

I once was in a theater when I was in high school and I could smell something familiar,but it didn't belong.A family several rows back had snuck in some KFC.If I was then as I am now,I would have asked how they did it.And tried it later......:p

10. lawman800

lawman800 What did I do?

The theatre experience ain't the same with too many sexed up thugs, wannabe thugs, outcasts, goths, skaters, etc. clogging my area. The main cineplex got built up to a mini-universal citywalk type gig and it's just maddening to even try to find a parking spot and then hope to come back without a ding or two or multiple handprints all over your car.

I'll stick with my home setup with the 720p or 1080i and my own surround system.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It worse paying $70 for an AMA ticket that doesn't include paddock access. They jack you worse than the shit-bag movie house fools.

12. svstinker

svstinker Well-Known Member

My kinda woman.:D
    I saw "Thunderball" in 1970 for a dollar. Great movie for a 9 year old.:up:

13. Thumper

Thumper Saved by Grace

Movie theater prices are why home theaters are getting so popular. I put a video projector pionted at a 110" screen (could go up to 20 feet but 110" was big enough for the room). I installed speakers around the room just below the celing (7.1 surround) and put four 10" woofers and a 300 watt amp under the platform for the two couches (the back one is 4" higher than the front couch). When there is an explosion or earthquake on the movie, you feel it in the floor and couch. Rent a movie, throw some popcorn in the nuke box and enjoy. All the electronics and screen was cheaper than a big screen TV. Moto GP races on cable are theater quality and you can't get that anywhere else.