1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slow front tire

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by fullmetalF4i, Dec 2, 2006.

1. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

so I've put the bike back together (for the most part) and I've got the front back on w/ the calipers. Well i give it a decent push and the wheel only makes about 1 revolution.
    Now before the crash at the GNF it would go around for like 10 seconds

the calipers seem to be whats affecting it. If i loosen the bolts attaching the calipers top the forks, it spins much better

any suggestions????

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Guessing: do you have floating rotors? cause that sounds a little like rotors are not true and causing the brakes to pulse some. :confused:

3. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

you know that is very possible.
    when i fire put the wheel on i noticed that when i spin the wheel every revolution i would hear a a ring.

anyway to fix this by hand???

4. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Check the warpage on your rotor with a dial guage. Simply fix the gauge to the fork leg or other foundation and slowly rotate the wheel checking how much variation you have from high to low spot. More than 0.006 - 0.010" means you've a warped or bent rotor. I have experienced this on bikes with cheese rotor supports (SV1000S), and have been successful in using a maple or oak block (hard wood) and a hammer in conjuction with the dial gauge to return the rotor to near (within 0.004") of true. Do not apply the hammer to the rotor. Spend the time to figure out where the worst high or low spot is, and what adjustment will result in the least amount of beating on the rotor judiciously to return it to true. Good luck.

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

The axil on those bikes will let you put them in wrong. You have to line it up properly or it can be off a mm or two and still look fine.

6. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

You did push the pads apart,right? :p

7. riopko

riopko Slowest Expert Ever

sometimes you need to shim the caliper a little to make everything line up. One layer of duct tape between my left caliper and mounting blocks makes the differenc between one spin and 3-4.

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Now that's a good example of "Vintage fine tuning" right there.