1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to the forum with a quick questions

Discussion in 'General' started by cyclescientific, Nov 20, 2006.

1. cyclescientific

cyclescientific Active Member

Hey guys - I've been lurking around for a while so I thought it was time to join. I've been on the 600rr.net forum for a while but I'm looking to get into racing. Is there a thread/article on here somewhere that explains, step by step, what I need to do to get into racing? I've been doing track days for a while but I was hoping for a 'dummies guide to racing wera' approach. I ride an 03 600rr and obviously would be looking to race novice for the fun of it.

cheers,

James

2. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

No, but do a few searches and you'll find lots of info. And welcome aboard!

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Search for threads containing the following phrases:

1. Lots of money.
    2. Unlimited credit.

That's a start.

4. cyclescientific

Appreciate the welcome. The searches just seem to bring up too much damn information.

lol...Hopefully I can afford to do 5 or 6 races this coming season - assuming I don't crash (too much.) I figure I've got most/all the equipment and plenty of spares so I'm hoping to only have to drop green on tires, registration fees and travel.

5. Strick

Strick Good to be king

There is no "guide" anywhere. The info is just posted all iver the place.

START BY READING THE RULEBOOK..........and then read it again.

Best way to start since you have already done some trackdays is to go to a race and just watch. Go to the opening round at Tally in february and just spectate or better yet hook up with a racer and spend the weekend in his pits. This will give you a good idea of what to expect during a weekend.

Next would be finding a chool to take so you can get your license. There are many out there find the one you want and have at it. Once you complete the school send in your certificate and get you PN license. After that you can grid up and race.

Make sure your bike is prepped. Again if you can find a racer near you to help you go over it that is a huge help. Your first weekend you wan to have everything done so you don't have the extra stress of wiring the bike.

6. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Well said :up:
    Bring some beer with you, it will come in handy at the end of the day:beer:

7. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

if you take ed bargy's school, he will be able to answer all your questions. he'll also have a lot of answers to questions you don't know to ask yet.

My best advice: GET THERE EARLY

8. cyclescientific

Cool....appreciate the info. I was thinking about doing the Ed Bargy school but don't some of the WERA events also have a school? Also, running a 600rr, what classes can I run in? (read: which is a good one to start out in?) I've heard that novice supersport can be somewhat of a "meatgrinder." I'm just looking to have some fun. Bike is safety wired and as far as I can tell doesn't have any mods that aren't allowed by the WERA rulebook for supersport (and I guess superstock?)

Again guys, I really appreciate all the help - I've been wanting to get into this for a while - REALLY looking forward to the coming race/track day season.

9. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Bargy is a good choice and yes it is typically run on the friday before SE regional events.

As far as classes go.......it is purely subjective. That is one of the reasons I recomend going to watch a weekend first. Not only do you get a feel for how a weeknd works you can also see what some of the classes might be like.

10. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Halla at me if ya need a paint job..............

11. carpediem

carpediem Well-Known Member

"meatgrinder."

is a word you will become used to by the end of your first year. I just finnished up my first year and it was great. The only crash I had was in Feb @ tally but it seemed like everyone was crashing b/c it was so cold. (even an expert crashed at pit out)

Like said before go to a weekend and hook up w/ a racer and see what they have and how it's set-up. After the firstweekend of seeing it you should have a good idea on what to do. and about the schools WERA does offer one before some of the events but you will learn so much more from one of the all day schools like what Ed puts on. With your bike you can race in all of the B, C classes w/o question some of the other classes are open but the set-up and rules play a little more into those. Print off the rule book and buzz through it. For anything else there are enough people on here who are sitting at work doing nothing that are willing to feed you a line of their bull so just ask. :beer:

12. cyclescientific

awesome - thanks for all the help guys.

ghetto customs - appreciate the offer...unlikely that I'll be varying much from my super sweet rattle can jobs though..

13. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

The amazing thing is that this thread had gone over 10 posts and nobody has suggested that you sell the 600 and get an SV.

14. cyclescientific

:bow:

lol....I was expecting that too. No...I'm not going to buy an SV or sell my CBR... I love my bike. I'm pretty happy and reasonably quick on my CBR (more importantly, I'm comfortable and confident on my CBR though certainly I have TONS to learn, much of which could occur on a SV). I have considered getting an 250 gp machine but that won't be in the budget for a while nor will a liter bike until I can ran under a 1:40 at Barber (which won't be for a while).

15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

16. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

17. woodyracing

woodyracing Well-Known Member

yo james
    i'm gonna be doing the Bargy school @ Tally Feb 9th, you should too man!
    now that I've got two bikes theres a good chance at least on of em will run lol
    -Jonathan

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  18. cyclescientific

What-up bro - is the F4i running again? I'll see what I can do as for scheduling. I'm dying to get back on the track. Should have known you'd be on here - pretty damn good forum. I'll let you know about the Feb riding school.

19. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

And if you don't bring it, word is the ace photographer usually has some :beer:

20. cyclescientific

It would appear that I have found the right forum....for everything.