Stolen Bike VIN search question

Discussion in 'General' started by boingmotorsport, Oct 29, 2006.

1. boingmotorsport

boingmotorsport Well-Known Member

Wondering if anyone can me out with some info. I am interested in buying a race bike, but want to make sure it's not hot. I have the VIN, he has no title, just bill of sale. Does anyone know of a website that shows if it's been reported stolen or anything? I've tried a few sites, and all it does it send back the year, make, and model. Does this mean that it's not stolen.

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Call local law enforcement, they will run the vin for you.

3. areceefittywon

areceefittywon Well-Known Member

Be careful, even if it comes back as not being stolen you may still have some trouble in the future. I see guys selling bike without titles all the time, the vast majority of those are bikes that the owner has defaulted on the loan. The bank won't report it stolen but if it has a lein you are asking for trouble if you buy it. It sure would suck to get a 7K bike for 3K then 3 months later 2 rough dudes with a tow truck show up to your place and snatch it, simply because the @sshole that sold it to you, stole it from his bank in the 1st place

4. Vinnie@proline

Vinnie@proline Well-Known Member

+1 Dont Buy W/o Title

5. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

You can check to see if a lein is on it as well.
    2/3's of the bikes sold on here come with BOS only and no issues. You just have to do your research if you don't know the guy you're dealing with.

6. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

How do you check for a lien?

7. boingmotorsport

boingmotorsport Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll get the local cops to run it.

8. Rodger

Rodger RamJet

In Maryland , u can go 2 the MVA & pay $10 & get a title search . if its stolen , the cops will get involved but as long as u r not in possession , u wont b in trouble . the search will show if any lien is recorded on the title . if the bike wasn't registered in Maryland , there still could b a lien in another state . the police "can" if they want 2 , find out where the bike was last registered . if the bike became "dead" title wise in Maryland ( ex; towyard ) there would b a yellow scrap sheet . hope this helps . if u decide 2 buy it , get the seller 2 show their drivers license & sign a bill of sale that includes y there is no title & all info . can save u alot of grief & lawyer fees in the future .
    regards , Rodger