1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia SXV 450 - 550..........................Monte, waz up?

Discussion in 'General' started by 45° Please, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But it's NOT DOT legal. The Ferarri 333 I drove a few years back had lights and a horn. As did the Gamma 500 I owned. Weren't street legal.
    Aprilia is not willing to support the bike with a warranty and the paper work to make it street legal in the US. Check the turn signals, brake light and that front light for a DOT marking. Got one? Nope, than it isn't DOT legal.

Street legal in Italy, France or Poland doesn't mean DOT legal in the US.

2. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

Ah! OK...so the 450 should make around 60 something? :confused:

3. Sunny

Sunny Banned

The dealership who offer the test drive, Detroit Eurocycles, had its SXV550 tagged as street legal, so I believe it is. But then again, it's easy to make anything street legal in Michigan as long as you got all the lights and a horn with DOT tires whcih is what the SXV comes with.

4. Sunny

Sunny Banned

I believe on a spec sheet, I saw the claim from Aprilia is................

450 => 60 HP
    550 => 70 HP

These are probably at the crank of course.

5. Sunny

Sunny Banned

One thing about Aprilia SXV...................its rear turn signal parts are worst than anything China made!!!!!!!!!!!! It'll break with a slight kick! Both dealership's demo had it's rear right hand side turn signal broke off just from people swing a leg over the bike and hitting them.

6. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Wrong, I recieved A 1 year factory waranty with a 2 year extended warranty when I purchased mine....
    DOT or not...I still have a tag on mine

:Poke:

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think that's cool but a 1 year won't get you DOT approval.

Maybe in Gap Tooth County where you live it might? :p

8. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

I would hope the coppers have better things to do other than checking overpriced dirtbikes for DOT lenses.....;)

9. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Dot approval? I dont need no stinking Dot approval.

If that was important I would buy some god awful Honda.

10. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

:stupid: :clap:

11. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

What did I win? :confused:

Brad who? :confused:

12. r6_philly

r6_philly Well-Known Member

the ones around here are not street legal as on the other side of the steering head there is a metal plate that says "Off Road Use Only"

I suspect it is on your bikes as well.

That doesn't mean you can't register it or get a tag or even get it safety inspected. What it does mean is that it is not DOT approved/certified to be used on the street. And if you ever was involved in a court case involved with these bikes it will be proven that you illegally operated this bike on public roads. Plate or not.

In PA you can get a plate for a vehicle without ever producing the vehicle to the state or any inspector. Just need the title and it has to not say "off road use only" (which does not on the Aprilia) but the bike itself is labeled as such and you won't pass any PA inspection with it unless you remove the plate.

My local dealers will not issue plates to a new bike, they will give you the title and you can get your own plate. They also will not inspect your bike for state safety inspection for fear of liability...

You can still ride on the street though. I would as well. But it is not "Street Legal" like the Huskys, which I ride one now :D

13. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd see the day a bunch of racers arguing over a bikes street legal status. Racing seasons must be over, lol

14. theTank

theTank "You're my BOY, Blue!"

:stupid:

How cool of a clubman bike would that be? Would it also be allowed in LWT? I personally think it would be a hoot to ride, reasonably insurable, and give new riders a reasonably priced, yet highly capapble motorcycle to be their first bike, while also being race-able. . . . discuss, discuss.

15. 1TRKMND

1TRKMND Well-Known Member

Yes, needs a 41, but be careful, it looks like it will wear out the upper chain guide in a hurry if you go too small (43 may be as far as we can go).

16. Silo Pete

A bike is as only good as it's rider, but I'd be afraid that this bike would do so good out of the box if might be restricted to just a few classes. It's going to be interesting to see who shows up with one (hint hint) and how it does, and it might be the shot in the arm the lightweight classes needed.

If the MSRP is $8700, and you get a pipe and new maping, and prep it you might as well get a used 600 inline 4, SV 650 or 1000. That being said, an SV650 is cheaper, a used SV even more cheaper, and they pay out depending on the year of the bike you have. I think it's relative to what you want to do and what you want to race (bike wise).

17. Silo Pete

18. Sunny

Sunny Banned

Maybe up the front sprocket as well as a combination? Anyway, let us know what you end up with and what you think. Also, let us know if there is any motor issues. The one thing I dislike about it is the basically "mandatory" engine rebuild every 70 hours (not sure if I remembered this correctly).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  19. Sunny

Sunny Banned

Very true. That's what stopped me from getting one right now because I should step it up to a 600 logically. Although a 600 is still more expensive to get preped to be competitively, and it'll use up more tires, and is more expensive to fix when crashed (I know, don't crash at all and one will be fine).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  20. icantslowdown

icantslowdown Well-Known Member

if you buy a 600 though, you'll have to put up or shut up - you'll lose all of your 'underpowered overweight 25yr old technology' excuses :D :D :D