1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 R6....should I be concerned, clutch question?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Blue Dude, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Blue Dude

Blue Dude Well-Known Member

So in the future I should prolly look at replacing the plates, springs, and basket? Did you go with stock or is there something else that is good....I know the plates and springs aren't much money at all, can I just buy a used basket off ebay or something....or do you buy aftermarket baskets also since the stock ones you say aren't any good?

2. sideways_skinny

sideways_skinny i need about, tree-fitty

go with the stock clutch. they last the longest. also, when torquing the nut down, actually torque it to the right spec. otherwise, the feel on the clutch will not be right.

i have an 05, and the clutch is pretty bad. (compared to other bikes) it has a little chatter, and especially if the revs are up high, it becomes really grabby. if there is a little chatter, even at idle or just above, that is normal. they do that right out of the box.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

buying a used basket is just buying someone elses junk basket that wont be any better than yours. I have always used stock springs and plates. None of my bikes are grabby unless the clutch gets glazed or worn. I use full synth Silkolene. Remember the innermost metal plate is thicker than all the other metal plates.

4. stabber

stabber Well-Known Member

Maybe the clutch isnt adjust right or you might not be taking off right. I have over 20k on my 03 R6 and I clutch wheelies all the time and I ride it hard and the clutch works like when it was new. Make sure the clutch lever has some free play when you wiggle it back and forth.