2strokes vs. 4strokes

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by reknelb, Dec 28, 2001.

1. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

I need to wade into this one. Sushi kicks ass! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I could eat it just about every day if I had the chance. Alas, there is no sushi to be found in Green Bay. [​IMG]

Now, what's this about motorcycles?

2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

A Real GP bike or a Sears GP bike?

We got the extra cc's because the 4 strokes sounded so much better than the 2 strokes, they decided they wanted even more of a good thing. [​IMG]

3. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the Lizard ride my TD-3 (a real GP bike) around the track. After trying to get it rolling and having to push start it a few times as it dies, then bogging it around the first corner and having to push start it again, he will have to find something a bit more negative than just "2-strokes suck". RDs feel like tractors torque-wise compared to the real piston/port GP bikes.

Fred

4. still novice

still novice Guest

Thats says it all....but if I know Bob, he will find more to bitch about .

5. lizard84

Twist it & fan it, Rinse & repeat [​IMG]

6. lizard84

Not only do 2 strokes suck, Bob S told me today that a certain someone is replacing their FZ750 motor with a FZR1000 motor & that SUCKs, I better get that 2nd disk mounted up & spring for that new cam...

7. Yamaha Bob

Yamaha Bob Active Member

Well it seems like just so much more 2-stroke fairy tails, Most 2 strokes seize or have problems when tuned by Diesel mechanics that have little or no understanding of how they work and draw on the vast pool of “pit lore” tuners for advice. Make a 4-stroke fire every time the piston comes up and it would not make a lap before it disgorged the abundance of additional parts that it uses to make less HP per cc than a 2-stroke.

Piston life and short fused 2-stroke motors come much of the time from OVER ported cylinders. Modern 2 strokes have VERY good piston life. It is the design and port location in the older motors that shortens the piston life and we just have to live with it. Drill a coupl 3/4” by 1” holes in the intake side of your 4-stroke piston and see what sort of life you get out of them. We live with it and with the exception of Mr. Buff and several other Diesel riders we do well against diesels of half again or twice the displacement of our 2-strokes.

Diesels are like racing with an automatic transmission, hell you don’t even need brakes just close the throttle to slow down and hmm at the apex open it up....

you have to be able to walk AND chew gum to ride a 2-stroke

8. robw122

robw122 Well-Known Member

yeah but if you ride a 4 stroke you can sit down and relax to chew your gum while you all watch the 2 stroke guys mess with their jetting all weekend. btw, you're welcome to just shut the throttle on my bike and try to make a corner. [​IMG]

9. lizard84

Don't blame the 4 stroke guys for holes in your pistons, Its not our fault 2 strokes suck, they suck only because they do.

And where is this twice the displacement stuff coming from? In that case, In Formula 500, Sr 500's should be allowed up to 600cc instead of 540cc and at the same time limit RD's to 350cc & make them run restrictor plates!!!! And let GS450L run too, of course [​IMG]

4 Strokes Rule---2 Strokes Suck (But you knew that) [​IMG]

On another note (swingarms, dead horses) Did anyone check out the story with Wes Cooley (Time Machines) in the Feb issue of Cycle World? Anyway, Check out the "Period Swingarm Bracing" on page 52 of the GS Wes won on in 1981 at Daytona, along with another pic of a 1980 Suzuka 8 hour bike. A fine photo of how "period bracing" was done back in the day [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by lizard84 (edited 01-02-2002).]

10. Christopher Spargo

Christopher Spargo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but when you build it so it can run with the TR3, the part of the power band you use for racing isn't any bigger than the piston ports. Dave Wright's TR3 and my 400 had virtually identical power delivery.

If the bike's forgiving below 8000RPM, that's great, but you're still not going anywhere from a serious racing perspective.

Piston and crank reliability in 2strokes is all about SMART porting and proper assembly, as well as damn good oil (and lots of it).

Scott - the secret to daytona is to setup your bike to get out of the Chicane up onto the banking. If you can do that perfectly, you're laughing.

Oh, and don't back off for the dogleg. (I know someday I'll get the guts to try that on my 400. It just seems like you're just going so DAMN fast when you get there... ;-) )

Actually, the secret to daytona is no secret. Get some horsepower, and then go get some more.

Oh, and 4 strokes suck. I was following Todd Ross on his Guzzi at the ROC in 2000, and I was tucking up into his draft flat out coming into the tri-oval when his motor decided to abso-f*cking-lutely explode nascar style with a massive cloud of smoke. I just had to dodge and hope. (I chose up - I was right. ;-))

I guarantee my annual piston budget wouldn't cover the noises I heard coming out of it as he pulled over to the side of the track at turn one...

Spargo

11. reknelb

reknelb U must have Klingon blood

Seems to me the people who run the world GP have already made the decision for us on the subject. 2strokes suck. And before anyone starts babbling on about how these people are idiots, and 2strokes rule, let me just say this. The people who run the new MotoGP have forgotten more than most of us will ever know about racing. They are the experts, and the experts have spoken. The only hope 2stroke fans have is that the 500s embarrass the 4strokes in the upcoming season. And judging by the test sessions, that isn't going to happen. Another note, they are knocking down the displacement allowed on the 4strokes in the 250 motocross class because the DEISELS are kicking their ass. Muuuaahhhhhh!!!! I know we were talking about vintage bikes, but someone had to go and open their mouth about riding a real gp bike and an xtra 440cc.

[This message has been edited by reknelb (edited 01-03-2002).]

[This message has been edited by reknelb (edited 01-03-2002).]

12. lizard84

Those words say it all,

My pistons may fail the next time I run the bike(thats racing) but then again, they are a hi compression set that have lived for around 15 years...

2 strokes suck [​IMG]

Nothing like the sound of a couple of 2 strokes racing, It never fails to get me in the mood to fire up the weedeater & head over to a field in need of some trimming [​IMG]

13. still novice

still novice Guest

He will need it to hang with B-Bobs GS1000. Looks like you should start working on that KZ if you want to be in that front pack.Did Bob S. say anything about kicking that FZ out of "B" and into "A' where it belongs?

14. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

Chris, a TD-3 has alot low-end power when you can move off the line at 9,000 RPM, 9500 RPM is normal. A TR-3 is a tractor in comparison.

Fred

15. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Seems to me the manufacturers, who sell mainly four strokes now, have spoken...

And they still had to cheat (OK, change the rules) to do it. There will not be another 500cc champion after Rossi, because it isn't a 500cc race format any more. Remember, 4 strokes were never "illegal", they just sucked.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. RMS40

RMS40 Well-Known Member

All this talk of 2 smokes and 4 strokes... I've got nothing against oil burners, er 2 strokes, it's just that they leave a ring around the track.... [​IMG]

17. reknelb

reknelb U must have Klingon blood

18. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

19. Yamaha Bob

Yamaha Bob Active Member

AHHHHHH YES.... and the sound of 4-strokes makes we mant to go and crank up my 500cc (whopping 18 HP) 4-stroke mower and make a lap around the yard!!!!!!

20. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Lets see now, I'm the fim and I love the way diesels sound, but deisels suck so bad, what can I do to give them at least a chance against the allmighty 2strokes? I'VE GOT IT!!!! We'll follow the ama motox lead and give them twice the displacement. Now even suck a$$es like Kurt-a$$ Roberts will be competitive. Of course Rossi, like Pastrana, would probably kick everyones butt even w/ half the displacement, but we'll never get to see it, cause Honda's too scared he'll show up their new superdiesel.