1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice on breaking in gloves?

Discussion in 'General' started by Indy92, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Indy92

Indy92 Beer Me

I've got a new pair of Alpinestars GP Plus gloves that fit great but are so stiff I feel like I'm wearing iron oven mitts. I just don't have any feel at all when I'm wearing them, so much so that I'll do one session with them and then go back to my old Spidi's (which are 4 years old and broken in to the point of wearing out). I'm sure they'll break in on their own with time, but they are so stiff now that I think it's a safety issue.

Any advice on breaking them in quickly? Soaking? Leather treatment? Help!

TIA:beer: ,
    BB

2. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Well-Known Member

If you ride on the street, get Lexol, put the gloves on then SOAK your gloves in it.

Go for a ride. I wouldn't reccomend that for the track cause of slipperiness.

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Alternative. Go to the phramaceria and get a tin of "Bag Balm" (yes, that's a real product). Put a dollup in the palm of one glove then wring yoru hands.

4. Indy92

Indy92 Beer Me

Don't ride on the street (never have). But thanks for the advice anyway. I was thinking of doing the Lexol thing and just wearing them for an hour or so around the house to flex them a lot. I'll probably try that for a start...

5. Indy92

Indy92 Beer Me

"Bag Balm" sounds like you'd use it on another body part ;)

6. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Well-Known Member

7. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

I got some stuff from a sporting good store for softball gloves. You hose down the glove pretty good and then bake it in the oven for 4 minutes @ 300 degrees.

Worked great on my softball glove. Don't see why it wouldn't on riding gloves.

Stuff is called Hot Glove Treatment. Made in Woodstock, GA.

http://www.hotglove.com

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Originally made for dairy farmers to use on their cows with sore teats from milking. Then the farmers' wives found out it was pretty good on their sore teats from nursing. Came into general use because it softens hides.

9. Calamari68

Calamari68 Well-Known Member

Well, one thing is for sure! Don't soak them in blood. It makes them shrink and not fit anymore.... just ask OJ!:D

10. Put them on and go ride in the rain or race in the rain...worked for me several times.:up: I did soak my first pair. I put the gloves on and filled the sink with warm water...now your hands and the water will likely turn black but it will wear off.:D Also I tucked my fingers in and thumb when I stored my gloves...in other words I folded them up as if they were wrapped around grips...then stuck them in my boots and in the gear bag they went.

11. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

steam works great. get the shower going as hot as you can, put the gloves on, then stay in there for 15 - 20 mins. the steam will loosen them up, then wear them while they dry. they will fit like they were made for you. this works great for new leathers, it's the first thing i do with a new set, and it makes them fit great.

12. Indy92

Indy92 Beer Me

My wife nurses our son. I'll see if she wants to borrow some :D

13. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

I have the GP tech gloves....they were stiff and killed my knuckles for the first weekend...then broke in nicely on their own by the 2nd weekend. Good luck.

14. Actually it does work quite well for that. We have a can and used it 14 years ago on our son if he had diaper rash. So far our daughter hasn't had any rashes so we haven't had to use it. It does work really good though for rashes!:up: