1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage in the future

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Cyclephoto, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Sure thing. I'll be the one with the wacko ideas.

2. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Cool, then I won't be the only one.....

3. Cyclephoto

Cyclephoto Well-Known Member

We have formed a "Vintage" rules committee for the year 2002 and beyond, (Mark Mitchell, John Early, Bucky Sexton, Steve Stasser, Rick Breckon, George Moode, Dale Burroughs and Lyn Garland). There will be a meeting at the track on Wednesday, after GNF practice. We will announce the location some time during the day.

All Vintage riders are welcome to meet with us. We will have a specific agenda to explore slight changes in some of our classes and rules. We feel that the overall class structure developed by WERA Vintage is very sound, so we don't see any huge changes. Time will be made available for discussion of additional ideas. One objective is to think about the "Super Vintage" classes, and the possibility of a V7 class.
    Please contact anyone, of the rules committee to have an idea included on the agenda.

[This message has been edited by Cyclephoto (edited 09-04-2001).]

4. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

Hi all!

I've just wandered over into the Vintage area for the first time and read this thread. Imagine my suprise on finding fellow GSPosse cohorts Pam, Greg and the Lizard King here. Well, OK, I expected to find Lizard w/his GS450 over here.

I dig what everyone is saying...you Vintage folks sure do keep things less ornery than the other crew. [​IMG]

Anyways...I'm an utter nebie/FNG. Shit, I haven't even run a race yet. I have, however, spent the past year studying road racing. I've gone over rulebooks for WSMC, AFN, CCS, WERA, AHRMA and CRA. It's been both fun and enducational.

Re: getting more "modern" bikes into vintage. I'd love to lay my hands on a late 80's 600 or 750 and take it out racing. That'd be fun as all get out. The AFM handles this is a pretty simple manner. They just have a "Super Dinosaur" class. It's defined as follows:

"Super Dinosaur: For 1985 and earlier motorcycles, using DOT tires."

link: http://www.afmracing.org/Rulebook/Rb_ch06.html

I've always liked that. It's also a really fun class to watch race.

WSMC has "Vintage 'Dinosaur' Classes":

Vintage Heavyweight 651 - Open cc, 1985 year model and older production

Vintage Lightweight 0 - 650cc, 1985 year model and older production

link: http://www.race-wsmc.com/rulebook.htm#1999WSMC%20RACING%20CLASSES

Which, in retrospect, is even better than the AFM. [​IMG]

This random babbling brought to you sans caffeine,
    - Erik

[This message has been edited by EMathy (edited 09-13-2001).]

5. 796

796 Well-Known Member

I know this was mentioned a few times in this post, but I have get my two cents in. Let's allow Clubman legal EXs/GSs in V5. It will help grid size and give the EXs/GSs something to race on Saturday. Also, I thought I read that there is going to be a meeting for next year's Vintage rules at the GNF. When and where is this? Will the EX/GS question in V5 be a topic?
    Thanks.

6. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

Yeah, I don't know how to do the BOLD stuff so bear with me here [​IMG]

1) I agree to a point, what about a novice class in vintage? Would it be less intimidating for the rider starting out? You would be running with the same bikes though.

2)See number 3) getting your butt kicked is the first step in becoming a better racer. You will get faster, everyone always does. Its too long a winter to not just think and visualize all the tracks you've been to, go over every corner what you are doing etc...

3) Its hard to not get mad at yourself when you are constantly passed, but this happens to everyone. Last year at the GNF (my first time) I was out for the practive day with the vintage 1 -4 guys to learn the track ( I ride a FZR400) I was scarred sh*tless, I couldn't believe how fast those old piles would pass me in the corners [​IMG] When I started working on what I was doing and where I could go faster, and stopped worring about everyone else, it really started to come together. Oh and a FYI if you are going to be at Atlanta, don't eat before you go on the track the first time; comming down the hill for the first time is always "fun" [​IMG]

4) You can [​IMG] There is no modern class for a modern 1000 for novices, but a V6 bike is legal for B superbike and Formula 1 and HW solo -- skip to the vintage rules and V6 gets you a GSXR1100 or an old FZR1000 [​IMG] Whether or not you'd be competetive is a different story.

5) Track time will help with alot of that. Next time you are around come on by the pits and we'll be glad to talk with you and give you some tips, but most of it comes from within [​IMG] Look for the yellow and black bikes with the biohazard logos all over them.
    Another good idea is to read the Code books (or read them again if you already have).

Welcome aboard
    Don Kinsey
    Team Frost
    WERA #28 Novice

[This message has been edited by Don_728 (edited 10-10-2001).]

7. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

I am very interested in hearing about revisions for 2002 for V5, V6, V+. With the popularity of the SV in D-super the FZR numbers are dwindeling. It is a shame that an 88-90 400 FZR has no place in vintage.....I thought about a V6 race at Roebling last month, but those Liter bikes come by too fast on the straights.

My FZR is a blast to ride, and they are selling for really cheap these days.......because they can not stay with an SV, and EVERONE wants an SV.

The FZR's are a great entry level race bikes. I just want others to dice with, without building a granade to chase the folks in D-super.

I agree that there needs to be a class for the older 600's and 750's too! Great opportunities here, I hope Vintage stays with WERA.....I love walking the pits and watching the older bikes race!

PS......you guys have awesome trophies!

Dennis
    Gypsy Racing
    Novice #357

8. Cyclephoto

9. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

Thanks Don. I really appreciate the positive feedback. I was just wondering if I was in over my head. Guys in my class(V5)can really move. I thought maybe a newbie class would help. Having problems judging my entrance speeds. Either scrub off too much or brake too deep. Hopefully Dirt bike for the winter, hit as many track days and races that I can next season. Code books are great. Found the Ed Bargy book the most useful. Thanks again and see you next season. Good luck at the GNF.

10. Cyclephoto

I started this thread some time in August of 2001. I was aware that a change in the leadership of WERA Vintage was comming.

I am quite happy to become the Coordinator of a sport that requires, as far as I'm conserned no equal in balls and self relience. I appreciate both qualities, and the "colorful characters" who have them.

I have established a "Rules Committee" of some of the most experienced and knowlegable members. The Committee members may change from year to year as people express an interest in becoming involved. (it can be a thankless job).

All the ideas for rule changes are appreciated. We ask you to please submit your ideas to the Regional Directors, or myself directly, via snale mail or E-mail. We hope you all can appreciate that our organization needs to have a prescribed flow of change; without chaos. If it's something that needs immediate attention, we'll get on it. Some things will have to be tabled for the next years rules.

The WERA BBS does not represent the majority of the membership, that's why we will maintain a WERA Vintage news letter and rule book as the primary source, to get all members current information.

[This message has been edited by Cyclephoto (edited 11-13-2001).]