1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To All the Shooters!

Discussion in 'General' started by Pavel, Sep 11, 2006.

1. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

The Guy that shot my sisters wedding does magizine ads and shot her wedding with 2 cameras one digital and one that still had bellows on it and a crank. I'm talking real old school.

2. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

I hope so I have a NIKON F5 I can't get rid of! Anybody Interested. :)

3. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

I have about 6 film Nikons with motor drives dating back to circa 1974 or so, F1s, F2Ms, etc. and a boatload of lenses. I figure I'm gonna still have them when I die.

4. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Oh, and Tri-X, you can shoot anything from bright noon to just this side of pitch black with that stuff...

5. NEVER the urge to go back to film.........why? I essentially started with digital, no need to go backwards......I'm just waiting to get a hold of Canon 1DS bodies or the anticipated new megapixel monster that is rumored by Canon...22mp???? Just of portrait work though, no need for that type of gun at the track.

If I were to use a film camera, I like to use a medium format.....

oh yeah.........the Raiders look horrible.....geeesh

and how bout them JAGUARS!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  6. oldbeginner

oldbeginner Well-Known Member

I've been using film most all my life. I started photography in 72 while in JR High. I have so much equipment for my Nikon and Bronica I can't afford to get into digital. And then when would I get to use my darkroom. I'll keep using film until I can't get anymore.

7. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

I haven't had a chance to shoot with the F6 - I've got an F5 though, and I *love* that camera.

Bingo - as far as I'm concerned, until digital can do everything than film can do, film is not dead. Is digital superior from an operational standpoint? Sure. But photography is about far more than funtionality and grinding out wads of photos. Last year I shot a double-header SCCA weekend and my brother and I shot something like 8000 exposures - if we had been doing film, we would have been seriously in the hole for the weekend. However, there are times when I prefer to work with film - for example, portraiture. I like the wider range in contrast and variation I get from film because of its superior dynamic range.

As far as the super-specific context of motorsports photography goes, digital is easily the easiest and most productive medium with which to work. But there are things you can do with film that you can't do with digital, and therefore film still has its uses. Especially when it comes to B&W - the fact that film still has superior dynamic range is a greater factor when working with B&W - you're paying more attention to the exposure of highlights, mid-tones, etc.

Between equivalent speeds I've found tri-x to have a coarser grain than the Neopan. I've heard that tri-x offers more latitude for exposure though, but I try not to push/pull film too much - not sure how that pans out in that respect.

I love my Mamiya C330. No autofocus. No meter. No film advance. But it takes beautiful photos. I did the 6x6 negatives. I keep looking at getting an 4x5 or an 8x10 view camera . . .

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  8. Sean Jordan

Here's a few shots I took at a friend's wedding recently (except the photo of me - obviously someone else shot that one!)

Nikon F5, 85mm/f1.8, Ilford FP4.

Unfortunately, these are scans of 4x6 prints done on a cheapo all-in-one. I'll be doing scans of the actual negatives later in the week. (Had to clear lots of dust from these scans in photoshop.)

9. Sean Jordan