1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aluminum Casting?

Discussion in 'General' started by E=MC2, Jul 20, 2006.

1. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

I was looking at prices for rearsets, just the main V shaped part with nothing else is $64 dollars. So I'm going to cast my own. I've looked into sand casting, but you have to remake the mold everytime. I cant find much information on permanent mold casting. does anyone know how to make a permanent mold?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

3. hazben

hazben Banned

yes....i've been in aluminum die casting for about 10 years.

but how many do you want to make?

4. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

how much would it cost to make the die :D ? I guess I could sell the extras

5. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

You better start making R1 parts so you can replace the ones you break when you crash.

6. muguvian

muguvian Well-Known Member

It would be alot easier and stronger to have it milled from billet. You'll need a fair size tree if you want a foundry to do it. I would not recommend casting something like rearsets in your garage, especially if it's your first go. 2024 ALALY if you use powdercoat (it oxides and ages quickly if left uncoated) or 6061-T6 if you want to anodize. If you can make up the drawings yourself and bring in the material, any good machinist with an end mill and drill press should be able to make them within a few hours for not too much $, but I bet it's more than $64.
    Permanent molding requires a blank be made first from which a ceramic mold is then taken to produce the actual items. If you're making less than 50 then it's not worth it.

7. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

I guess permanent mold casting wont work out then.

what if I do sand cast? i found oil-bonded sand for the drag, but where can I get the dark looking sand for the cope?

8. backbone

backbone scarred for life

I don't know much about casting alum, but isn't it alot weaker when sand cast. I thought there were bubbles or something when casting it.
    Just curious.

9. muguvian

muguvian Well-Known Member

Green sand formulas or suppliers can be found with Google. Again, I think it would be much better to have it machined, unless you have foundry do it. Porosity of the casting, handling of the crucible, impurities/slag getting into the molten Al, yada yada WILL bite you in the ass somewhere in the process (or on the bike). Not to mention holding your tolerances for bolt holes etc could be a PITA.

10. Gopher Greg

Gopher Greg Old...Eh, what? Ohh.

If they are still in business, try Pyramid Products. But if you are going to found them yourself, figure your first set will cost in the area of $1000 in parts, material, labor and fuel. You aren't going to do this on the stove! You'll need a crucible, tongs, boxes, sand, patternwork, aluminum, flux, furnace, fuel source and the list goes on ad nauseum.
    I whittled my last set out on my mill and if I don't count my labor, they cost about what CFm would cost. They are however, exactly what I wanted.

11. merle4

merle4 Menace to sobriety

Try Hjelm Motorsport. $75 a pair, I think, in stock and +3cm lengths. They are very nicely done and John Hjelm is a fast 125 guy to boot.

www.hjelm-motorsports.com

Merle

12. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

thanks merle

13. motopix

motopix Well-Known Member

Hjelm rocks. I just got my stuff from him; nice. Fast, friendly and amazingly he sent my stuff and asked me to send him payment on arrival.

14. Stimy25

Stimy25 Well-Known Member

Buy some Sodium Silicate from Ebay. A bag of Bank or Lake sand from Home Depot. Blend with a kitchen mixer and Gas with Co2 to make a No bake mold. One time use but cheapest and easiest. Find a small jobbing shop foundry in your area to pour your mold. Dont forget to add shrink and draft to your pattern.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nick, here's a bit of advice, take it if you want. When he gets home, beg, borrow or pay to intern with Britt. The dude has forgotten more than I know about metal.
    Sweep the floors, take out the trash, be a fly on the wall over at MotoR.

16. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Well-Known Member

I am jumping on the "you should have it milled out of billet" bandwagon. If you have it cast you still will have to do fnal maching, and a big one is heat treating it. But it would be kinda cool to cast your own parts in you garage.

17. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

And i'm sure the neighbors and the EPA would juuuuust love it:up: .
    Cheers, Lee S.

18. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

small scale casting isn't that big of a deal, it's just propane with a blower. the neighbors already love me enough, like today, i melted 120g of kno3 and 80g of sugar together and put it in a coke can in side an old christmas tree base. Coolest smoke bomb ever, not to mention to the 2 foot pink flame that comes out of it while it burns. The coke can was liquid when it was over. some soccer mom lady in an suv drove by with her mouth open. lol, i smiled and waived at her.

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    May 29, 2009
    Suwanee Man Arrested

After FBI, ATF, NSA and Homeland Security forces raided the home of Nick Cesar and transported him to federal facilities for further questioning, Cesar's neighbors reported that he had always been an odd child.
    Neighbors said they "knew he'd be gettin' in trouble onenna theses days". Cesar had a reputation for creating a stir in his neighborhood with a variety of "experiments" that frequetly left his neighbors reeling from smoke, fumes and in laughter.

20. motopix

motopix Well-Known Member

And potato(e)s pancakes.