Why no airfence at Cycle Jam?

Discussion in 'General' started by kjohnson, Jul 3, 2006.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

John, my whole issue with both Miller and Barber is that both tracks were designed from a blank sheet of paper and both had sufficient financial backing. I would agree that from a comparison point, with other existing tracks, they both represent venues that are safer.

With that being said I am still dumbfounded by certain aspects of both tracks that in my opinion should not even be an issue. Pit out and pit in being an example. Yes, I have been to both tracks.

I guess I don't understand how both tracks have had to make significant changes in the name of safety so soon after being built all the while hailing Mr. Wilson as some sort of track designer God.

Rant Off.

2. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Name somebody who, on balance, has designed two better tracks (in terms of motorcycle racing suitability) that have actually been built in the United States?

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

I have no idea who designed them but Brainerd, Road America, and VIR come to mind. Even Putnam.

Again I am not discounting Miller and Barber as being unsafe. I am just puzzled by the fact that both newly built tracks have had to make major changes relative to safety. What does it take these days $100 million? As it seems that $70-80 does not get it done completely.

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

of those 3, i have ridden 2 of them. BIR has it's issues, it's sure as hell isn't 99% safe.
    we have to have airfence at the base of the tower and the bridge. the end of the concrete wall at the exit of T10 would probably kill ya if ya hit it. i had a tank slapper right there last month that had me lock to lock, with the back wheel a foot in the air. 3 feet to the left at most and it could have been ugly.
    other possible issues are the trees on the outside of T2 and lack of run off in many of the corners, but you learn to ride with those things in mind.
    hopefully one day some thing get fixed, we'll see...........

5. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I submit track designer Ed Bargy. He designed Talladega Gran Prix, designed its remodel, and designed Jennings GP. :up:

6. mad brad

mad brad Guest

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Actually, you threw Loudon in there as a way of suggesting I have no right to comment on any other track. There really is no comparison between a Nascar track adapted as an afterthought to motorcycle racing, and a track built specifically for that purpose. Everything is relative, but comparing a 65 Volkswagen to a new Masserati with a dent in the fender doesn't mean there isn't a dent in the fender.

Conditions at Loudon have nothing to do with conditions at Barber or MMP.
    No, I haven't been to Miller, but I did read about the problems there in your magazine.

I have been to Barber, and pit in there is poorly designed for a purpose-built track. Saying Loudon is worse changes that not one whit. If we were discussing gearing or tires or suspension, I wouldn't comment because I know jack shit about those things. We are, however, talking track design as it relates to safety, and Wilson dropped the ball there in a couple places.
    And I have enough experience and knowledge to recognize that fact and don't see where my opinion is negated because the track I work at most often pales in comparison to Barber.

If it makes you feel superior to imply that I'm stupid, have at it, but just because you publish RRW doesn't mean yours is the only valid opinion, and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

And I have had a subscription to the magazine for many years and actually read the articles (and the website). It's where I read about the changes that had to be made at MMP and why the riders felt those changes were needed. Me not having been there (yet) has no bearing on those events, or on discussing track design.

But if it seems logical to you to imply there's nothing wrong with the pit in design at Barber because Loudon is a second-rate track, fine.

8. DUFF

DUFF Well-Known Member

Hey, the bottom line is, something has to be done. Tax us, yes tax us, I don't think there is anyone out there who is not willing to pay for safety. Most racers won't think twice about spending a G on suspension, or the promise of 4 horses. $$$ towards airfence, we'll pay it.

Cycle Jam was horrible , lots of injuries and worse, RIP Chris, but things happen for a reason. Randy King hit an unprotected wall at the bottom of 4, even if we had a bunch of air fence, none would have been there. As Mongo would say, " nobody ever crashes there, so we don't need to have it there" No offense, I know that the little we have, needs to go to the most prone areas. But to be truly as safe as we can be, it needs to be wherever there is even a chance. Road A is a dangerous place, No race track will ever be "safe " for bike racers, but we can definitely do more. And I think we will be more than willing to pay for MORE...

9. ginny diva

ginny diva New Member

Ancient racing philosopher say

"There are no safe race tracks. It's just that some are a little less dangerous than others."

10. John29

Actually, corner, we agree on a lot of stuff, and you seem to have missed my editorial comments regarding Barber published last year. And yeah, pit in and pit out there suck in my opinion. All I'm saying is, relative to the rest of the place, and relative to most tracks we race on, the stuff that was changed (and note that they did change it before the first races) at Miller was minor, minor, minor. And I still believe that people should actually see a racetrack before using it as an example to advance an argument.

If you had seen Miller, even you would have to find the irony in even discussing it in the same breath as Loudon. (Note: I am in favor of anybody who wants to, racing at Loudon, and I once won on the boulder-bordered Bryar course that NHIS replaced. I just personally prefer a little less concrete in my line of sight... )

11. In Your Corner

Which issue was that in, I usually have at least a year's worth sitting on the coffee table, I'd be interested to read it. I pretty much read every issue cover to cover, but don't recall everything I've read.

Loudon's a fun course, and thankfully, a lot of those walls now have Alpina Defenders in front of them, but it certainly isn't compatible with balls to the wall superbike racing. It would be nice if they'd build out into the back area known as Animal Hill and take the Nascar track out altogether, theres lots of land, enough for the long straights and sweepers Loudon doesn't have now.

The old track was fun too, but it had a lot of scary sections. Crashing into the pond probably wasn't a good experience.
    Unfortunately, I don't think Bob Bahre is going to sink the money into a nice road course which is probably the only way the AMA will ever come back.
    I don't know if Jerry showed you Eric's suggestions for mods to the existing course, it is an improvement, but there are simply too many spots without enough run-off. I hate seeing racers needlessly injured, it's dangerous enough with the possibility of being run over or punched with your own bike.

I like working club races and we have some fast guys, but I miss the big show. Now I have to travel a long way to see the pros.

I'd like to see Miller, it sounds like quite the facility. Maybe next year.

12. John29

July 2005, page 12.

13. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Sorry if this is a thread jack...

As a nooby racer, I wanted to ask what the problem is with pit in and out at Barber? I did an endurance there, and I thought they both worked very well. Is it the narrowness and walled-up nature of the lanes, or is it the way they leave/enter the track?

I'm not tyrying to argue, I'm asking to gain understanding. If a person with the experience of JU says that they have issues, then they have issues, period. I just dont' know what they are.

I'm assuming (pit-in especially) it's the proximity to walls, but I guess I assume that pit roads will have walls. Having raced at Road Atlanta this weekend, I thought that the blind entrance to pit road was sketchier than the entrance at Barber, for example.

Anyway, if you wouldn't mind explaining it I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

14. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I will take a stab at this:
    • Pit out isn't too bad: lined with armco, going downhill (not a big deal), and entering track close to the race line.
    • Pit in: tightly lined with armco, when you first leave the track you are pointed straight at a tire wal, down hill with tight turn at the bottom, and you leave the track directly on the race line :(

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  15. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

what he said

16. In Your Corner

Good editorial, I agree with it 100%. I like the fact you also ask track workers to help identify problems. I have and will continue to do so.
    I have never raced, but when you stand on a corner all day and watch crashes, you learn a lot about what's possible, not just what's likely. In at least 3 corners at Loudon, cornerworkers are stationed in the crash zone.
    Being able to imagine what could happen is a matter of self-preservation.
    When Thomas Wilson had his career-ending crash at Loudon, his bike hit the wall at over 100mph right where I had been standing just 2 seconds before.
    We'd never seen a bike hit there, either. It was a learning experience.
    Tom, btw, is a class act, when the AMA returned the following year, he made it a point to look me up and thank me for the help I gave him that day.
    Very nice guy, and obviously a very tough guy.

Anyway, nice to see we're on the same page when it comes to track safety.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Actually with a shitload of airfence there would be some near where Rnady hit because people have hit there before, Steve Rapp I believe is one - not positive who the other is. On a full on Superbike driving hard down the hill they can get out of shape and if the riders don't keep it together they can skip off of that wall on riders right - not a large section but a section. I'd put 5-6 doghouses there as a just in case thing if we had them. However that is like 10b riders right of the bridge - it's a place I'd protect (where Mladin keeps almost getting to) if I oculd but it's a very low priority because the chances of anyone getting there at a speed sufficient to hurt them are negligible. Remember - people can hit the wall riders right going down the front straight if they get tangled up with another rider, but we're not likely to ever cover it. The other places are a lot like that.

Not sure if I posted it or not but the ultimate coverage at Road A would be something aorund 1500 linear feet. That's cover stuff that is damn near impossible to hit. Sufficient coverage is more like half that - I don't have the exact figure because I need to go through my notes and check the measurements but for now I'm still sticking with wanting 120-150 doghouses.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

IYC - seriously, you need to quit making opinions based on what you're reading from people whining about them on the internet and go see the tracks yourself first. You'd have a totally different opinion of Miller if you just drive around it once including pit out. Barber I'm not fond of pit in because riders don't have enough sense to signal early enough - but I have zero issue with pit out. I'm glad they pushed the wall back in T1 and I hope at some point they'll but some doghouses in the areas that while unlikely to be hit can be. If they'll let us then we'll work on those too once we get Road A done. I also totally agree with a catch fence down the back stretch - not so much for bikes but at some point they're going to launch a car over the 4' high one.

19. In Your Corner

Actually, the only stuff I read about Miller was from RRW.
    My comments didn't include the track as a whole, which I hear great things about, just pit out, with a mention of the corner where they were asked to move the wall back. When and if I get there, I'll let you know what I think.
    I'll admit my opinion would be more legitimate if I saw it for myself, I've certainly read enough comments on the internet condemning Loudon as a death trap, written by people who have never seen it, especially in response to the infamous video of the T2 incident.

On the whole, I like Barber, I just didn't like pit in or that four foot fence, and noticed some spots with armco or tires that would be less threatening with soft barriers in front of them.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doesn't matter where you read it - it was strictly the opinion of one or two riders and was posted as such. The issue at Miller is that there is nothing there to look at - so when people keep asking if they saw anything that needed to be fixed the riders etc... started looking at things that didn't need to be done but were all they could find.

I have been there, saw the wall before it was moved - it didn't need it at all but it was nice to have done just because it shows the lengths they're willing to go to. I agree with you on Barber for the most part.