1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where would you go in the US?

Discussion in 'General' started by hockyis1, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Of what you picked, Charlotte easily. Good location, great nature all around. I'd say try Rock Hill, SC. Less crime, less taxes and just 10-30 minute drive to work (depends on where you work in Charlotte).

2. crammer1977

crammer1977 SATISFIED ENZYTE USER

Speaking of Charlotte, anyone know of a good headhunter I can contact to help find a job for me? :D

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

YIKES!!! I'd say 6 or 10. Honestly, I have a hard time telling cities with perimeter bypasses apart anymore. I'd let the job offers make the decision between the two.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  4. LiveLikeYrDyin

LiveLikeYrDyin Well-Known Member

After 20 years of living in Atlanta, I'm fed up with the traffic that's only going to get worse and even though I love Road Atlanta it seems that I'm either soaking wet in sweat from the high humidity or the pouring down rain whenever I go there. Yesterdays track day in the all day rain was the final straw. I'm moving to the dry climate of the Salt Lake City, UT area and ride the new Miller track for the rest of my life.

5. hockyis1

hockyis1 Well-Known Member

Wow...it looks like Charlotte is the overwhelming favorite here. I'll take this back to the wife and let her see the comments. Thanks for all the help!

The job the wife is doing is a federal one. The reason I'm limited to those 10, is because that's the top 10 the wife and I picked. However there are plenty of other places we could pick, but they just didn't seem like great places....here are some of the others...

Houston
    Dallas
    El paso
    Phoenix
    Salt Lake City
    St. Louis
    Columbus, SC
    Baltimore
    New Haven, CT
    New York
    Albany
    Buffalo
    Nashville
    Knoxville
    Jackson, MS
    New Orleans
    Seattle
    Portland

So you see, there are a few on there that aren't that bad...but once the wife weighs in on the weather (I've dragged her through Wisconsin and Cleveland in my two tours in the Coast Guard), and opinions on places we've visited, the list thins down quite fast.

Anyway...thanks again!

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Baltimore is a good place to end up dead.

NY, sorry, unless you're pulling major bucks, you can't afford it. Hell, you can't afford Hoboken.

7. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

What's wrong with Portland? I was only there once and thought it was real nice. I have no idea how it is as a permanent resident though.

8. rookieracer

rookieracer Well-Known Member

no Baltimore

stay away from baltimore 300 some murders a year.

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Knoxville area. East TN is great and we have something like the 4th lowest tax rate per capita in the country. No state income taxes. :up:

As for tracks:

Road Atlanta ~3 hrs
    Tally ~2.5 hrs
    Barber ~3 hrs
    Savannah(Roebling Road) ~8 hrs
    Carolina Motorsports Park ~4 hrs
    Jennings ~7 hrs
    Nashville Superspeedway ~2 hrs
    Tennessee Motorsports Park(eta 2009) with be ~ 10 min.
    Mid Ohio ~6 hrs
    Grattan ~9 hrs
    Summit Point ~8 hrs
    Pocono ~9 hrs
    VIR ~5.5 hrs

State of California ~2 days :D
    State of New York ~1 day :D

California and NY far enough so you don't get communist cooties on you. :D

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Are you sure that isn't Columbia, SC? That's not too bad either.

11. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

1) Miami (Homestead raceway...anything else close?) - Florida sucks, and in Miami you're an 8 hour drive from everywhere else, minimum.

2) Tampa - Florida sucks.

3) Jacksonville - See #2.

4) Los Angeles - Traffic is insane, COL is high, poor track selection. Great city/night ilfe lifestyle, close access to various types of terrain (mountans for skiing, the beach or course, Las Vegas in the desert, etc.

5) San Diego - L.A. Lite. Perfect weather (no weather...82 and sunny 300 days/year), if you like strip malls, you'll love S.D. ...pretty similar to LA in most respects.

6) Atlanta - freaking hot in the summer, massive suburban sprawl, bad traffic. Still some ok places to live COL-wise, and excellent proximity to lots of tracks.

7) Honolulu (yeah yeah...but the wife likes it...would have to sell the bike for a boat) - no race track at all any more in HI, high COL, otherwise pretty sweet. I mean, it's Hawaaii fer crissake.

8) Norfolk, VA - high COL, suburban sprawl, ok proximity to a few tracks, close-ish proximity to many metro centers.

9) Richmond, VA - No experience

10) Charlotte, NC - lots of people like to live there...reasonable COL, ok economy, pretty ok track proximity, has a good big/little city thing going on (big enough to have pro sports, small enough to not feel like a metropolis. Traffic can get bad, but it's nothing like ATL or LA.

My vote:

Birmingham AL: good COL, growing economy, good proximity to tracks, small enough to live in the country and work in the city, good proximity to many metro centers (ATL, Nashville, etc). When I went job hunting this time around, it was my first choice. Nashville was second.

12. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Oh, I meant to say that if I could have gainful employment there, I'd pick Knixville TN hands-down. I love the mountains, and it has good track proximity.

Looooove the mountains.

13. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Question.. is income constant or adjusted to reflect local COL?

Do you like Mountains, ocean, desert..... all three?

Do you speak Spanish?

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Im impressed with the amount of people recommending Charlotte too!

I didnt even get a chance to recommend it before seeing it added on and RCJohn jumping all over it but yea Ive heard GREAT things about eastern Tennessee, namely the Nashville/Knoxville area. Im seriously considering a trip there this summer to find me some land to build on when I retire in a few yrs.

15. hockyis1

hockyis1 Well-Known Member

Income is adjusted (somewhat) because the govnt gives the wife an increase in "locality" pay depending on where she is. I love the mountains, ocean and desert...wife only cares that it's warm...

I speak enough spanish to go shopping and buy beer...wife is almost fluent...she was born/raised in Miami...nuf said

Sorry, mistake....Columbia, SC....not Columbus....

16. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

17. edge23

edge23 Well-Known Member

Dallas Texas ....oh wait you had a list. Sorry none except Hawaii but only for a vacation home.