1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where would you go in the US?

Discussion in 'General' started by hockyis1, Jun 27, 2006.

1. hockyis1

hockyis1 Well-Known Member

I'll be getting out of the military in another year and a half, and the wife has a career that lets her "pick" where she wants to work. But once she's there, we probably won't move for along time. We're starting the planning process and been going in circles on where we should move to.

Where out of the following places would you pick to live based on distances to tracks/housing market/cost of living/weather? My bike is track only, so having a good selection of tracks is important to me. The warmer the weather the better too...

1) Miami (Homestead raceway...anything else close?)
    2) Tampa
    3) Jacksonville
    4) Los Angeles
    5) San Diego
    6) Atlanta
    7) Honolulu (yeah yeah...but the wife likes it...would have to sell the bike for a boat)
    8) Norfolk, VA
    9) Richmond, VA
    10) Charlotte, NC

We're limited to those....

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

For track proximity, Atlanta and Charlotte are not too shabby. Cost of living is much more reasonable than San Diego nad LA.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

either 6 or 10.

4. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

Charlotte.:up:

5. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

I always liked the Norfolk area, spent a total of about 8 months there myself. My brother lived in Tampa for 4 years and neither he nor I would recommend it.

6. mad brad

mad brad Guest

charlotte.

7. xsbaggage

xsbaggage Banned

yup.

8. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Richmond's a dump.

9. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

im moved from kalifornia about 10 years ago

great place to visit by NO Way in hell i'll ever move back
    +1 on Atlanta or NC

10. MrOgle

MrOgle I love college!

Werd.

11. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Not Atlanta...

We're full already. I hear Charlotte has plenty of room, though. :up:

12. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

charlette or atlanta or san diego.
    with Miami you've got Homestead, then a couple hours north is Moroso, and then about 8 hours north you have Jennings

but with Miami you;ve gotta deal with hurricaines (not just the football team) and our Florida riding season (fall through spring, since it rains every day in summer...)
    Tampa you're looking at 5 hours to Jennings, 3 hours to Moroso and 5 hours to Homestead and you've gotta deal with what i said above
    J-ville its about 2 hours to Jennings, probably 6 hours to Moroso, and 8 hours to Homestead. Not much in terms of stroms up there though..

I woudlnt live in LA, just cuase its LA, and everyone syas its expensive and really crowded.
    San Diego would be nice place to live. dont know much bout Cali other than earthquakes, and some good riding weather out there year round.
    Atlanta is a nice big city to live in thats not nearly as crowded as LA
    If you live in Honalulu expect prices to skyrocket. My stepbrother was stationed there and he said that everything was super expensive cuase you've gotta import it from the mainlands.

I've got nothing on Norfolk or Richmond, other than it snows in Viginia in the winter.

13. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Atlanta

you know we got all the rappers here. lil' john, t.i., ludacris, youngbloodz, yung joc, outkast, JD, the list goes on.

:D

14. mad brad

mad brad Guest

and, they're cristal free. :D

15. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Charlotte -

Carolina are beautiful and lots of riding time. Plus you can get on the coast and have the water and sun, without the Californians.

16. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I know it's not on your list, but Saint Louis is pretty close to a lot of tracks too....

Housing is pretty cheap and wages aren't too bad.

1) Gateway 15 minutes....
    2) Putnam 2.5 - 3 hours
    3) Blackhawk Farms 5 hours
    4) Autobahn 5 hours
    5) Heartland Park 5 hours
    6) Gingerman 7-8 hours
    7) Road America 8-9 hours
    8) Mid America 8-9 hours
    9) Barber ~10 hours

nvm, I see you said you were limited to those....

Norfolk does get pretty damn cold in the winter.... of those... I'd pick Charlotte too.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  17. dragon129

dragon129 Well-Known Member

Well, looking at your choices and the name on your post, you might as well choose the Stanley Cup Champions and nice place to boot. Go just outside of Charlotte.

18. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Atlanta,
    Road A
    Barber
    Jennings
    Tally
    Nashville
    They all aren't tooooo far so it isn't a bad location.

They aren't too far and Atlanta is a nice place. Visit Makos, Fogo De Chau (SP)

19. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

:stupid: (and I do mean stupid). j/k Bruce! :D

Six years of living here and Richmond still sucks. Housing market is starting the climb toward NoVA prices to boot.

I wouldn't wish living in Norfolk on anyone.

Charlotte's a big town without the big town "feel" of some of the others... That'd be my pick of those on your list. Atlanta's cool, but big... lots of traffic... Too bad Nashville's not on your list - awesome town, cost of living isn't too bad and its relatively close to quite a few tracks as well...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  20. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

:stupid: