1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended Synthetic Oil

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Bandit 600X2, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Bandit 600X2

Bandit 600X2 Well-Known Member

I am currently using Kendal 20W50 motorcycle oil, but want to go to 10W40 synthetic. Not ever really using synthetic oils, would like to know what oil you recommend.

Thanks
    Bill

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

3. Sunny

Sunny Banned

Support US products................Amsoil!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the same if not better than Mobil 1 and cheaper than Mobil 1 (I am only talking about the motorcycle specific oil here).

4. Bandit 600X2

Thanks. As to AMSOIL, I belong to another board for Bandits and every one who used AMSOIL was tearing up their cams about about 10 to 20K miles of AMSOIL use. So I personally am very leary of using that one.

On the Mobil one, do you use the automobil version or the motorcycle version?

5. Dezmo

Dezmo addicted to the trackpipe

+1, moto-specific only

6. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

I use Castrol R4 superbike oil. I used it in my 954 (12,000mi) with no motor issues and started using it in my GSXR 600 this year. Kind of pricey but good oil. Other brand to look at: Motul
    I have not used it but have heard alot of good feedback.

7. Bandit 600X2

8. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I've been using Rotella-T synth. for aboout 50 gajillion miles in everything from long distance tourers to my racebikes...no probs, and multiple oil analtses at that lab place tha tAmsoil works with have shown that it works great.

$16/gal at Walmart.

Motorcycle-specific oils are a waste of cashola IMO. No test has shown them to do anything any better than other, non bike-speicific premium oils at a fraction of the price.

9. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

Redline has not failed me yet in motors I have built. But as you see everyone has a differant oil they use. Todays oils are really good. I still like motorcycle type oils. More so for the wet clutch...

10. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

Sport Rider did a very in depth oil article a few years ago. They tested motorcycle specific dino and syn's and car oils as well. They did not tell which oil was best but instead presented the reader with the test results and what affect they had on a motorcycle. IE too much Moly will make your clutch slip.

With all of this info. in hand I picked the Mobil MX4T.

11. stabber

stabber Well-Known Member

I use Mobil 1 5w-40 truck and suv fully synthetic from walmart. It doesnt have moly (friction modifier) in it and its cheaper than the motorcycle specific oil

12. (diet)DrThunder

Ya this stuff has a gold cap, and appears to be the same (or close) as the old red cap M-1 that folks used for years. I use this stuff when WallyWorld is out of Rotella-T Synth. and it's just as good. It's alot more cashola than the Rotella-T, but it's still way cheaper than the "motorcycle" oils.

13. sabrina

sabrina Well-Known Member

I use Amsoil 20-50 Vtwin motorcycle specific with no friction modifiers, or (moly). I run a 1000cc aprilia with a slipper clutch and have had no problems at all.

14. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I've been using Motul and love it.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I've heard awesome things about Golden Spectro.

16. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

Rotella-T synthetic from Wal-Mart for $16 a gallon here.

17. Dezmo

Dezmo addicted to the trackpipe

it amazes me that ppl who will gladly pay $10,000 for a state of the art bike would also run diesel oil to save a few bucks per oil change :rolleyes:

...and thats all I'm gonna say about that:D

18. (diet)DrThunder

...and it amazes me that people will pay $15/qt for oil because it has the word "motorcycle" written on the bottle. I guess we're even.

BTW I have sent oil samples of several differnet oils from many of my bikes in for lab testing over the last 15 years or so, and that's why I use Rotella-T...not because it's cheaper. It's because it's the best there is (tied essentially with Mobil-1 and Amsoil, of the ones I've had tested post-use), and of those it's the least expensive. If I'd found any difference w. expensive oil I'd use it. There isn't any, so I don't.

It might interest you to know that most of the things that make oil good in deisels are also the things that make good bike oil, such as being engineered for higher bearing loads, increased operating temperature stability, and better viscosity retention.

So you know, you can do the testing yourself if you're interested. Amsoil sells lab sample kits on their web site. The last time I did it (last year w/ my FZR race bike and Rotella), it was about $20 and took about 3 weeks to get the results.

19. unoigo817

unoigo817 Well-Known Member

Yep, M4 Emgo swears by it. Yes, they are sponsered but said it truely performed well. :cool:

I personally like MX4T :up:

20. gixxermike99

gixxermike99 Baba Booey

Lucas Oil.