Handling problems with the '06 R6.....

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott_in_FL, May 20, 2006.

1. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

ouch.

2. Scott_in_FL

Scott_in_FL Active Member

PaulM, I think you're right about the linkage. It appears to be very, very progressive and that might explain why heavier guys have no suspension movement whereas the lighter guys seem to like this bike.

There is no way a stock bike has springs that are too firm for my weight (200 lbs.), so it has to be either a faulty shock or an incredibly progressive link which begins progressing far too early (because I can't get sag).

Problem is that swapping the link (if any become available) takes you out of SS.

3. PaulM

PaulM Member

Scott, the spring may(?) not be too heavy, but it has too much preload for the adjustment range provided. That extra stored energy is at the top of the suspension range, which doesn't seem desirable.

4. Cane

Cane Well-Known Member

The bike had only 2 spark plugs in it to save money and weight.

5. PaulM

PaulM Member

One additional factor that added time to my suspension testing:
    Many of the adjusters are listed as having "x" number of clicks,
    and as it turned out, some adjusters have as many as double the number
    of clicks listed in the manual.

6. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

The 2006 R6 has probably the best streetbike chassis I have ever worked with. When properly setup, the thing handles very, very well. We are running the stock shock linkage and have had no problems from it.

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel Castrol

7. Moonpie

Moonpie Yo Yo Yo!

No problems except finding a dealer to sell one at cost!!!:rock:

8. PaulM

PaulM Member

Thanks Rocky, you give me hope. I think the majority of my issues are that I am somewhat lacking in setup skills, and didn't verify the range of adjustment. I guess this will be my learning experience, in more than one way.

P.S. Saw one of your bikes in action...very nice!

9. slowohioboy344

slowohioboy344 Well-Known Member

I have had no problems with mine, I beleive that it's close, I need a little more time on it, but not having any major issues. Are all of you triing to use stock shocks or something? I have a Penske rear, AK-20 front and the only thing slowing the bike down is ME:)

10. BBaker

BBaker Well-Known Member

Haaaaaa, you said stock...

11. WERA82

WERA82 Infidel, phone ringing...

Raced mine this past weekend at Jennings for the first time. Man, I love it! No problems whatsoever with the bike setup w/the Dunlop tires. Mine is not on stock suspension and pretty much has the suspension Deezul has...

All I can say is....:wow:

12. kl954

kl954 Well-Known Member

How about 17.4 at Summit Main, fastest time before high 19's (03 R6 all setup). 06 R6 stock suspension dialed in!

For all of you smart asses, not me riding, my rider.

Kent

13. TZRaceR6

TZRaceR6 Well-Known Member

No problems here on the west coast. Using the Lindemann built Penske titanium shock and GP Suspension 20mil kit up front. Love the bike, and it reminds me a lot of my TZ250! The D209's seemed to have been made for this bike as well!

14. Scott_in_FL

Scott_in_FL Active Member

Anyone know why no privateers seem to be successful running them in AMA events? I think there were two privateer R6's in the recent infineon SS and FX events.

15. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Straight from someone who really knows.

16. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I know Tyler McDonald is running an R6 in SS and FX and has done pretty well for it being his first year in AMA. He is only running select events though and I don't think he was at this last round.

Remember, a lot of guys show up for Daytona and don't do many of the other rounds. This may account for the decline in the number of R6s in these two classes.

17. TZRaceR6

TZRaceR6 Well-Known Member

^^^ I'm just waiting for Josh Herrin to hit the next round and see what the kid can do.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First race - mid-pack as he gets used to the whole thing. Then he'll move up every round til he's battling with the leaders :D

19. Martin M

Martin M Former BRP Rider

20. Nicky3

Nicky3 Well-Known Member

Well... I got 3 test and 1 race behind me on the new R6. Well the new R6 is broken now but......:Puke: We're running Öhlins stuff front and back, but in the forks we only got some springs.
    We found a pretty good setup, I personally think it handles a lot better than the 03' version.

The slides are a lot contollable, when it starts to slide gettin on the gas, it does'nt just try to spit you off(well in Hockenheim it did) but the Suzi what I was riding last year was just crazy. It was just way to unpredictable.

And I'm loving the new Slipper clutch:bow: