1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Healthy Eaters - HELP

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Mar 21, 2006.

1. joe617

joe617 Well-Known Member

A good alternative to the regular tuna in a can is the Starkist Tuna Creations in the "flavor fresh pouch". I believe there are 4 different flavors but I prefer the Hickory Smoked. Unlike the regular tuna I can eat this stuff straight out of the pouch, no mayo, no crackers, no nothing. Quick and easy!

2. xtest

xtest Village Idiot

Sounds like I need to give that a try. I bet it is more costly than tuna in a can.

3. joe617

joe617 Well-Known Member

It is a little more costly than canned tuna but the flavor and convenience (no juice draining) are worth it to me. I can just open a pack and eat it at my desk. Throw in a 8 oz. can of Bush's baked beans and you've got a meal.

4. xtest

xtest Village Idiot

Ok dude...I am officially hungry.. Let's see Myoplex or Tuna?... I'll opt for the Tuna. I hope Target has it (it's the closest and on my way).

5. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

And how is that working for ya?:Poke:

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm going to say that they're fuilling me up and creating what looks like fat but is really a recycling bin :D

7. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

LOL!
    Yep, turned 37 in October. I always had a bit of a weight problem when i was a kid. Lost weight and maintained 165lbs through high school and into college. My senior year i tipped the scales at 215 and realized i had to do something. I started playing rugby again and working out harder (in addition to diet). Maintained 185 for the better part of 15 years. I'm a bit soft now, so i need to hit the gym harder!!!

See you guys at Summit??

8. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

Didn't read all 4 pages so excuse me if this is reposting. This is a copy of a "menu" of mostly healthy foods I have made up that I like. When I go grocery shopping I limit myself to this list 99% of the time.

Main Courses
    Tilapia
    Lasagna
    Pork Tenderloin
    Steak
    Hamburger Helper (with 97% lean hamburger)
    Ham Steak
    Hamburger (made with 97% lean again)
    Cube Steak
    Turkey Tenderloin (VERY good, 99% fat free)
    Chicken
    Pot Roast
    Cube Steak
    Bar-B-Que Sandwiches
    Spagetti
    Chili
    Wheat Crust Pizza

Side Dishes
    Rice & Tomatoes
    String Beans
    Corn
    Mac & Cheese
    French Fries
    Butter Beans
    Cucumbers & Dressing (Lite Ceasar)
    Blackeyed Peas
    Broccoli
    Zuccini
    Carrots & Fat Free Ranch

Snacks
    Grapes
    Apples
    Strawberries
    Bannanas
    Pears
    Peaches
    Yogurt
    Blueberries
    Pineapple
    Baked Lays
    Whole Wheat Goldfish
    Triscuit
    Granola Bar
    Wheat Thins
    Trail Mix

Deserts
    Healthy Choice Ice Cream Sandwiches
    Plain Hershey Snack Size (one serving of chocolate per day is good for the blood pressure)

Drinks
    OJ
    Cranberry Juice
    2% Milk
    Red Wine

Superfoods (get at least 2 from this list)
    Beans
    Blueberries
    Broccoli
    Oats
    Oranges
    Pumpkin
    Salmon
    Soy
    Spinach
    Tea
    Tomatoes
    Turkey
    Walnuts
    Yogurt

9. ngarvin

ngarvin Active Member

Healthy diet? Check diebetic menu/meal plans/books.

Get a book on "foods/eating/meal planning" for diabetics. There is nothing special or unusual about it - just carbohydrate and portion control. It's what every overweight american should be doing anyway.

People who eat way to much of the processed foods and overeat (and many can do it without getting really fat or obese) are at high risk for adult-onset diabetes. It's an epidemic in this country right now because everyone pigs out and is overweight. If you get Type II diabetes (adult on-set diabetes) and don't control it with a sensible diet and exercise then it leads to fullblown diabetes requiring insulin injections and it will kill you (after you go blind and have several amputations). Keep a common sense diet with portion control and exercise and you'll be healthy and safe and hopefully never have an issue with it. :up:

People with diabetes can eat pretty much what they want as long as they control their carb intake and keep their blood sugar levels in a normal range. FYI, OJ, soda, most fruit juces and simple processed foods like white bread, pasta, white rice, candy, chocolate etc digest very quickly and raise your blood sugar very rapidly. If you eat a lot of this crap often, you stress your pancreous and it's insulin production will drop. It also causes your cells to become amune to insulin so your blood sugar stays dangerously high for long periods. This will effect your eye sight and the small capilaries in feet, hands etc over time in a very bad way :(

Eat smaller portions of fish, chicken, turkey, veggies, fruits, whole grains, yogurt (the common sense healthy foods) and not only will your blood sugar stay more stable and not spike up, but you will feel better, have MORE energy and you will have a clearer head. Like the old saying goes: "Food dulls the mind"!:tut: Being just a little hungry all the time is good. Being bloated is very, very bad.:tut:

So, take a lesson from diabetics. They know how to eat properly for good health and longevity. Their life depends on it. Search the web for Type II Diabetes" or "Meal Planning for Diebetics". Most of the low calorie, low carb, low sugar dishes are way better tasting than that Big Mac and you won't be comotose on the couch after eating it.:eek:

Eat right and pray you don't get that call from your doctor after a routeen blood test.:wow:

10. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

scotty-

take a look at the food program for "Body for Life"...6 smaller meals a day. great metabolic booster. (the workouts are killer too)

I lost 35lbs in 10 weeks following BFL.

11. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I really want to thank everyone for all the great advice. Apparently I'm the only person in the world who doesn't own a George Foreman, so I guess I'll go buy one. :D