1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to Race Novice this year, what is the liklehood

Discussion in 'General' started by red54, Mar 14, 2006.

1. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i raced a few seasons a s a novice both with WERA(both sprints and endurance) and WSMC, and i have yet to crash - and i have won a few races in there too. just try to relax,look past other riders and go there. crash's can happen at any time, but it isnt a definate that your going down - so get out there and have fun!

2. DangerZone

DangerZone CAUTION!

this is a competive sport to see who gets to a certain point first, what was on your mind? :Poke:

oh and i dont think the trophies are plastic :Poke:

:p

3. sportbikerchic

sportbikerchic Sugar Daddy wanted.

I think a LOT of the crashes at the track are riders who put themselves down on the asphault and grass. Not nearly as many as you seem to think are riders bumping others off the track or taking others out when they go down.

I did my first race last weekend and yes, there were a LOT of bikes down in every 600cc race I did. I watched a lot of them go down right in front of me. Lots of 'em were front wheel tucks or too fast into a turn and running out into the dirt and ditching the bike there.

YOU can control YOUR riding. So that right there can minimize your chance of crashing. There WILL still be the chance of someone pushing you off the track or hitting you and taking you out. That much you can't avoid. Well, you could always take the inside line to prevent anyone from coming inside of you and taking you out, but if you wanna be THAT carefull just don't bother racing.

It's definately more dangerous than trackdays, particularly the 600 class. But if you can control your ride then that will help minimize the risk. The rest of it, well some good control and reactions can help with, but in the end it's still a risk. If you're willing to take it, then race. If not, then stick with trackdays. There's no shame in that.

I'm one of the safest, most restrained riders I know of. It's been about 40 trackdays since my last wreck. So I really didn't think I'd take to racing. But I got out there and it got into me. I'm hooked. Despite the risk to my bike (and my wallet to rebuild the bike) and my own health. I watch tons of crashes all around me this weekend, including a nasty 3-man pile-up, but I'm still hooked adn can't wait to come out and do it again.

Just my 2ยข.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Racing is all about pushing yourself and your equipment closer to the edge than the people you're racing against. When you go play at the edge sometimes you fall over it. It happens, you learn from it and move on.

Like Scott said - if you see someone going beyond the norm and being dangerous, let us know and we'll handle it. But seriously - that is rare.

5. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

Yes, the majority of racers are safe racers. Most of them have families and jobs to go home to. I've been taking pics for years and years and years...well, a long time. WERA, CCS, AMA, you name it. My husband raced for years without crashing. Then crashed after hitting oil on the track after the guy in fronts engine blew. Then again he was taken out in the old mans race. Neither one his fault. Sh%t does happen. And he is a VERY safe racer. Knows if he falls down I'll have to kick his ass

6. red54

red54 Well-Known Member

cool thanks guys/gals. I know its a risk and I am going to take it. I can deal with calculated risks, but everyone knows that there are those riders out there that just push too far past their envelope and that is what I am hoping the grid is not filled with. That is more or less what I was asking.

7. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Dude, don't sweat it. I mean, it's not like you're gonna go out for your first 600 race on a new shiny bike and bin it before you even make one lap or anything...

[​IMG]

8. FUZION

FUZION Well-Known Member

Racing is all about wanting to compete. I did my first race in Febuary at Tally and loved every minute of it. I even crashed going into turn one and ended my day of racing. But I will not let that mistake get to me. Everytime I enter a race I am going to try my hardest to win. will I win everytime no I may not when for a long time but I am sure going to try. You have to push yourself to the edge everytime to make yourself better. Worry about you riding your race and you will do fine.

9. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I think Gixxer1100 is the exception. I've never met anyone that hasn't crashed if they've been doing it for a while. Sometimes its something totally beyond your control (oil on the track, someone hitting you) but as Mongo said, its mostly about testing your limits and trying to get to the edge without going over it.

I consider myself a pretty steady racer but I've consistantly averaged about one a year. I had a fifteen weekend streak going once and was getting pretty cocky and BAM, got that reality check once again!

If you're going to worry about it you won't have much fun. You just need to do your best, don't ride above your head, and have a good time competing.

good luck!

10. Bob E.

Bob E. _________________________

Actually your first crash kind of takes the edge off and you meet some great people.

I remember being worried about crashing when I started. Then one day, bam!

Once I stopped rolling, I sat up and thought well that really wasn't all that bad.

The other rider came over and handed me my clip on. At first I was a little mift (after things stopped spinning), but it turns out the other rider is a great guy. We just both tried to be on the same piece of asphalt at the same time. (It was a draw). :)

The corner workers were very helpful getting my bike on the trailer. The crash truck driver took it easy across the infield and stopped for me to tell my wife that I was OK.

I didn't obsess about crashing nearly as much after that. Oh yeah, if someone catches it on film, you may get in RRW or on the next Roadrace DVD. :up:

11. red54

red54 Well-Known Member

thanks, thats exactly what I want to do, go out and ride my own race. I have crashed once before at the track. I was at putnam a couple few years ago and someone took the inside line, it was my first Intermediate trackday and I did one of those Oh shit manuevers where you stand the bike up and go off the track (think it was at the bus stop) So it wasnt all that fast, unnerving at first, but some duct tape to the fairings got me back out there. Like I said, I dont mind a calculated risk and accidents do happen, but I would be pretty pissed if someone tried some "iffy" passing and ended up fracturing my skull or some other big injury. (oil I can understand, tire issues I can understand, stupid maneuvers- wouldnt do it and wouldnt want it done!) Anyway, I cant wait to go out there and get on the grid. Just for future reference, does any company specialize in getting shit stains out of leathers?

12. lfg929

lfg929 Well-Known Member

You in the Columbus area red54? If so then you can travel with a group of us if interested.

As far as crashes go, it really is just racing. At a track day you are out there pushing yourself but are trying to stay well within your limits typically. In a race if someone passes you then you want to get back around them. If you don't then you aren't really racing, you are just doing another track day. Pushing yourself is what makes you faster. It is also what makes you crash. No getting around that... I understand not making stupid moves and taking people out, but if you are competitive then you are going to be going past your limit to try to beat someone else to the finish line. The trophy isn't the piece of plastic and/or wood you get at the end, it is the fact that you beat the guy that *was* in front of you and you dropped your lap times by 1-2 seconds.

13. Jamie Prohm

Jamie Prohm Active Member

It's Racing

Some shithead did one of those stupid moves that you are talking about and I broke my hip, pelvis, and trashed my bike. It sucked, I had to get fixed up, but I won three championships the following year. It's part of the game. Like you one guy stated the same thing another time but don't get me wrong there is an etiquette that is supposed to be out there on the track but if you get that nervous don't like getting passed, I suggest you stick to the intermediate track days. On the other hand you will get out there and you will get used too the close calls and it will end up being a blast.

Rubbing is Racing

14. prostang117

prostang117 Member

this is my first year racing and what i decided to do is run in the heavy weight classes less people do deal with and not as much carnage as the middle weight classes... plus i have a buddy that runs these classes so i can practice with him so he can show me the lines of new tracks that i have never been on before.... something you may want to consider