Someone please tell me what this is on my bike.

Discussion in 'General' started by xtest, Mar 5, 2006.

1. xtest

xtest Village Idiot

(pic updated) Someone please tell me what this is on my bike.

Yes...I am a f**ing moron for touching this bolt/sensor thingy (as per the Clymer manual - why oh why..)

Can someone tell me what this bolt with wires thing is. It is from my 02' 650SVS

At the least, I will need to order one from Ron Ayers and if I am lucky that will be all I need - the thread is completely gone. :(

[​IMG]:mad:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  2. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

thermostat maybe?

EDIT: Nevermind the thermostat it appears to be a switch as per the microfiche

3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

you can run to sears and purchase a tap and die set. It will save you alot of headache in a pinch.

As for the bolt, I have never seen one like that...

4. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Not sure from you fuzzy photo.

It looks like the heat switch for the fan. Was it screwed in the radiator?

5. xtest

xtest Village Idiot

Yes...

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

If you're talkin' about the part that's in focus, I believe it's called a "cam cover"...

:Poke:

7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

8. xtest

xtest Village Idiot

Yepper.

I found out what it is and ordered it.

The thread was completely missing. I am hoping that the radiator hole is made of a tougher material and therefore only needs to be tapped, otherwise I will need a new radiator (ouch!).

* Someone please tell me that the radiaotr hole is likely ok!

Regards,

DumbF*Not who should never go near the bike with a wrench! :(

9. ProPerformance

ProPerformance Rather be riding

Not sure

I am a little confused as to what exactly happened and what you did exactly. Did you remove the thermostat from the radiatior? If that is what it is? If so, are you saying you broke the old thermostat and stripped the thread in the process? I would think even if so, you hopefully can salvage it.

Ask someone else to confirm this but I would think you should be able to screw it in and maybe use RTV sealant or some kind of high temp goop or something. Just an idea.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a fan switch - now why he yanked it I have no idea. :D

11. oldguy

oldguy NC novice old dude

Read this before working on your bike

[​IMG]

12. xtest

xtest Village Idiot

Re: Not sure

Check it out:
    I went to replace the radiator fluid. I followed the procedure in the Clymer manual and somewhere it tells me (after the fluid is drained) to unscrew that thermostat switch. I get about 1 revolution to the left and say to myself "self...Why would they want this done, when the fluid is out?". So I turn it to the right. The thing is this. Both while loosening and tightning the bolt was a little more elbow grease than it should have been. Somewhere along the line I stripped it. Keep in mind that at this point I never took the bolt out.

I noticed the bolt is a little cockeyed and that it is not flush with the radiator..You know what comes next.. A little more elbow grease. Son of a bitch it is leaking. The bottom line is that I literally can take the bolt in and out with out twisting it.

So..I drain the system, salvaging the new radiator fluid and proceed to get pissed at myself and worry whether or not I'll be able to use the new theromastat switch or will I need to buy a new radiator ($350)?!?

BTW - Changing of the fluid myself, was not an effor to save money (I would have failed miserably at that goal) it is because I want to do my own work on the bike. I have done a heck of a lot more difficult things to the bike than this.

So...At the moment I feel like I royalling gave my self a good screwing.

Thanks for listening... I only hope that the new switch does the trick.

Regards,

Mike

13. xtest

xtest Village Idiot

Because I failed to follow directions. I re-read the darn section and looked closer at the picture. It is pointing to the a resevoir hose not the damn switch!

Competely my fault...But it does not solve my current problem.

Is there a reset buttom on this damn thing. :confused:

I call do over.... :p

14. oldguy

If you in fact did strip the threads, it is likely that you stripped the ones on the radiator. The softest aluminum is the one that will strip first. Look at the switch and, using a pick, see if you can pull the "stripped" threads out of the mating threads of the switch. That is, if there doesn't appear to be any threads on the switch. If you pull any "shavings" out of the switch threads, then a new one won't do you any good.

15. oldguy

Oh, and a good radiator shop can fix it.

16. ProPerformance

ProPerformance Rather be riding

Ok,

Well, can anyone confirm if there is a good product to use to secure this to save the existing radiator?

JB quick weld, some sort of epoxy? Something to just permanantly attach the new one. At least, that is what I would attempt.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On a race bike if the radiator is shot I'd just have a good welder close the hole.

18. oldguy

That's what I tried to tell him. JB weld will come loose and spray water at the most in-opportune time. Rad shops weld alum all the time. A good one will weld in a plug, re drill and tap it and you are good to go. Or, buy a new rad on e-bay.

PS: The coefficient of expansion of JB Weld and aluminum is quite different.

19. xtest

xtest Village Idiot

I'm such a tool. I am officially the village idiot of the board (apoligies to SW - you will need to relenquish your title).

Seriously. This will be an expensive lesson.

I can try to take it to a shop, anyone have an idea how much south of $350 it will cost?

It is only worth it if I can get it done for less than $350.

Here is the best part...Not only is it going to cost me $$...But it took a simple 10 minute job and made it about a good couple of hours of aggravation.

Too top it off...I was all set to watch WSB, but got side tracked by this.

I am officially having a bad day. :down:

20. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

My rule of thumb when working in the garage, is the second I start to get frustrated, I grab a beer and relax for a short bit. Things normally work themselves out soon thereafter. Sorry about the crappy day. If only I could count the number of bolts I've broken off in my miata's engine...:(