1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 R6S question

Discussion in 'General' started by (diet)DrThunder, Dec 5, 2005.

1. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

This is the El Cheap-o R6...it's supposedly the same as an 05 in every way, buty with the 04 front end on it.

Does anyone know for certain that this is actually the case? Or, is there some possibility that they noodled around with other stuff taht might lame it up?

Inquiring minds need to know :)

2. porkyb

porkyb Chasing LWT Twins

Im not exactly sure but from what I was told , its the same bike as the 03-04 R6.

3. franklaw996

franklaw996 Well-Known Member

porkyb is correct. 03-04 motor too. better off with a used 05.

4. (diet)DrThunder

I didn't realize there was any significant diff in the motor between the o3-04 and the 05 model...interesting. Do you know what the differences are? I'm actually figuring out that exact question right now, to race an 06 R6S, or an 05 R6.

Thanks!

5. franklaw996

franklaw996 Well-Known Member

05 had more power, inverted forks, radial calipers, geometry set up for a 70 series front tire from the factory including different linkage etc.

you could go to motorcycledaily.com and read a review on each model and the spec list would be more specific.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

honestly, either will be just fine. you won't notice the power difference between the 03-04 and the 05. brakes? i doubt you'll notice that much either, unless you're hard on them and suffer from fade.
    are you talking a new or used 05?

7. (diet)DrThunder

Hi Chad...the bike would be new in either case. I know that at my skill level the difference isn't important, but if I have an opportunity to have either at an equally good price, I figure I might as well get the 'better' one.

I read the review of the 05 (good idea) and motor-wise it seems that the 05 got bigger throttle bodies and a retuned ECU...that's about it. Geometry-wise, interstingly the 06 R6S has a 120/70 tire on it, not a 120/60.

This suggestes to me that maybe it _is_ an 05 w. the o4 forks, and not an 03-04 model. What I really need to find out is what size the throttle bodies are...that will answer the question I think.

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

yeah, the 05 would have more resale and bling factor with the front-end, plus the fact that is does have a bit more power. the advantage of the R6S is that it is a year newer, so that might help resale. if it was me, new for new, i'd go 05. hell, i'm still running my 04 for another year(and have no plans to buy anything newer)

9. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Don't discount the inverted forks on the 05 compared to the 03-04. Heard many people say the front end felt significantly different (read better) on the 05 with the inverted forks. Much more planted, much better feedback. Would keep that in mind along with the engine changes.

10. (diet)DrThunder

Ya I'm definitely thinking about that...except the feedback I've heard is that the inverted forks were _worse_ not better. What is the general consensus? 05 fork better or worse than the 04 (I'm not talking about after the $800 Ohlins surgery either :) )?

11. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Give ToddClark a pm and see what he was saying. I was amazed listening to him rave about the difference in feel on an 05 compared to his 03. He rode them back to back recently and could probably give you a great summary as to the benefits and drawbacks of both.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

i know of one very fast guy that was running the lower fork clamps loose on purpose because the 05 was too stiff. liked the 03-04 feel better. of course 99% of us would think the 05 was better because new is good.

13. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I think that is the real issue. THe forks in the 04's ( and I believe 03's) were a thinner wall then the previos R6's so they would give more feedback. That may not be what every rider likes but going from that to the 05 with the inverted forks will make a huge difference in feel, especially going in on the brakes.

If it were me I would get the bike that is the cheapest. If they are the same price and both brand new get the 05 (better bling for resale)

14. (diet)DrThunder

Ya, I'm thinking that same thing.

Thanks!

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

actually, i think the previous generation(01-02) forks were identical, only thinner, and some guys were running them on the 03-04 bikes for more flex.

16. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I am pretty sure the newer ones were the thinner ones but yeah the forks were identical, except the lowers were black.

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

not to bicker about it, but it was 04 at barber that i was talking to said person, and that is where the thinner fork upper conversation came up. wouldn't be news if he were the correct year uppers, now would it? :Poke: :D

18. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Not to bicker but in 04 I spent some time replacing tubes for the thicker ones at a few tracks early in the year.:D I think it was just the 04's that were thinner not the 03's.

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

well shit, i don't know then. :moon:

20. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Hey it is possible I am wrong, stranger things have happened.:D

All I know is 99-04 forks were 43mm but at some point they changed the thickness of the walls.