1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage... Ask the father ???

Discussion in 'General' started by bluebandit2g, Oct 26, 2005.

1. zombie

zombie Active Member

since you are in the south how bout..

"Sir, i realize that your daughter is promised to her cousin, but i was thinking it might be nice to break family tradition by taking marriage outside of the family."

2. bluebandit2g

bluebandit2g Well-Known Member

haah :down: dont' think that would work

3. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

pretty sure mine woulda been, had i asked. 'cept it woulda been from her mother...evil, controlling, devil-incarnate, mormon bitch.

she had no problem agreeing with the dee-vorce tho'.

4. zombie

zombie Active Member

you must be further south than i thought....

how bout

"sir, i know you were saving her for yourself....but"

5. VTRDarren

VTRDarren Well-Known Member

I did this a few months ago, and he pretty much saw it coming since it was the first time I called and asked to speak w/him without some other event going on.

I didn't ask permission as much as convey my intentions. "I love your daughter very much, and I plan on asking her to marry me in two weeks on our trip" He put his hand out and gave me a welcome to the family handshake, "assuming she says yes" he said.

Then we each drank a couple more beers while figuring out the best way to keep her little brother from spilling the beans that I was there that day.

6. CMatt026

CMatt026 Duct Tape Monster got me

My cousin was rejected by his g/f's dad.
    Everything happens for a reason thought.

As far as asking the father. Yeah do it. It's the right thing to do and it will definately make the wife to be a happy lady!

Good luck!!!!!

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My wife doesn't speak to her father (parents divorced). My life is simpler when I don't either. He did not attend or pay for the wedding.

8. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I asked Papa G for the go ahead:D

9. bluebandit2g

sounds good... :up:

10. Chris Stevenson

Chris Stevenson Hell I like you!

Ya I'd say ask....for a number of reasons...it's just the right thing to do.

11. Chip

Chip Registered

You got to ask.....It's polite....

12. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I agree with you:up:

13. mango

mango Ewah Felicitys underpants

Best thing I ever got from a father was "Listen, I know she's

cute and all, but run the other way as fast as you can, while you

can. She's as crazy as her mother."

:beer:

I did.

14. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I asked and got, "you should both make sure that this is what you want", so we waited to get married in May instead of August.

Got married, had the best 2 1/2 years of my life, then one day she decided she didn't want to be married anymore.

She took everything except my dog and my motorcycle.

So in the end, everything worked out ok. :D

15. TRUBL MKR

TRUBL MKR Active Member

You need to ask his permission, and you should also do it in person (if he lives close). Good luck!

16. bluebandit2g

He lives about 2.5 hours away.. is that close or long distance ?? I see them like 4 times a year.. I can make a special trip if needed though ..

17. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Ask her first and then run it by her parents. You are not marrying her dad.

18. TRUBL MKR

TRUBL MKR Active Member

I would make the special trip...2.5 hours isn't far! It would really mean a lot to your fiance' too! My EX didn't ask my father...and I don't think he ever got the respect my brother-in-law did because HE ASKED...and he is still part of the family! :wow:

19. Mitch

Mitch MV Persistence

asking someone else to marry the woman you love implies that she doesn't have the wherewithal to make the decision on her own. I'd never do it. of course, I'd never promise to love someone for the rest of my life since there's no way anyone can ever know a thing like that.

20. scotth

scotth Banned

post of the week. I don't care who ya are that's funny right there now...

I'd ask, but only after you ask her and feel her out to see if her dad wants to be asked or if he'll view that as you thinking she's just a possession, not a person, etc., etc.

but, ya, ask.