1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age question?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by collision pro, Sep 17, 2018.

1. collision pro

collision pro Well-Known Member

At what age can you start? Weather it be track days or racing. Is there something that starts teaching kids the skills of road racing? My son is 11 and races MX now. Just trying to figure out when he can switch. Maybe a 85cc supermoto class??

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Chapter 7 Number 6 of our rulebook -

6. Any rider under the age of 18 may not compete without the duly notarized consent of parents or legal guardian. The notarized consent will be retained by WERA. In addition, each rider under the age of 18 must have on file with WERA a minor release form which can be obtained from WERA. Some facilities may require this form every weekend, the forms will be available at registration. Rider 8 years old may ride in practice only with the mini’s. Riders 9 years old are limited to 50cc & 80cc classes. Riders 10 years old are restricted to F/E/D/Clubman class machines. Riders 12 & 13 years old are restricted to 650cc/LW Twins machines. Riders 14 & 15 years old are limited to “C” class machinery. Riders 16 and older are allowed to run any WERA legal machinery. These limits may be changed at WERA’s discretion on a case by case basis.

So basically he can start now no problem.

3. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

I don't know how old Kayla was when she started, but it was early.

4. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

My kid started with WERA at 10y/o on a KX65. The next 2 years he rode an RS125... couldn't keep up with maintenance. Depending on how big your son is, is recommend an R3 if he has the strength. Most likely he'll have more people to race against in the ESS class than he would in the minis (85 class). Just my opinion/experience... if you have spwcific things you'd want to talk about, feel free to PM me.

-Kurt