School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Nope.

The sun loses mass fusing hydrogen into helium, converting the difference into energy. Since gravity is proportional to mass, the sun's gravity gets infinitesimally weaker by the second, resulting in the earth receding from the sun, estimates vary, but .6 to 2.36 inches a year.

Plus there's the solar wind to account for, but that's thought to result in the earth receding by about the width of a proton annually.

But, yeah, eventually this will reverse and it's a tossup whether the sun's bloated red giant phase will see the earth fall into the sun.

I think that the tides have an effect on it, too, but I can't remember which direction.

tony 340 likes this.
  2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

3. auminer

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Yes.

The earth is 2/3 water

The water is always moving, freezing, shifting, storming, etc.

Basically the planet you can think of like an out of balance wheel....it will always be different year to year

Only a liberal could possibly dream that they'll control the weather with a car purchase.

They're the same evolution believers that think the earth is millions and millions of years old.....which if that's the case then we've only collected weather data less than 1% of its age.

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Unless you know something astronomers don't, this is a foregone conclusion (assuming the earth makes it to that point).

BigBird likes this.
  6. auminer

Exhaustive 12 second Google search says it is possible, but not 100% certain.

I betcha a hunnert bucks it doesn't! :D

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Bet :p

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Send me the $$ and I’ll pay out to whomever wins this bet. ;)

9. auminer

Beat every analcyst metric but revs (DUH... STRIKE...) FCF outta the park, streaming profitability.

But, as expected, HAMMERED.

This is beyond stoopid.

[​IMG]

10. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

Soooo, are you on the phone with your mortgage broker?

11. Tristan

Apparently my "can't resist buying more" price for RIVN is 10.50....

12. auminer

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

AND I got my wife trickin' behind the Taco Bell. :mad:

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm waiting for single digits. It is so close. :crackup:

Soooo... buy?

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So I'm going to single out UBS but this is a general comment on stock analysts. The fact that you can have a" buy" rating on Rivian on Thursday and a"sell" on Friday pretty much says everything about that industry. There should be a mechanism for SEC to severely punish those people and incentivize them to tell the truth. The company did not become a disaster overnight. It either wasn't worth buying yesterday, or shouldn't be sold today.

418 and auminer like this.
  15. auminer

Clearly my judgement is flawed, but f@ck yeah! *

* This is the advice of a dog shit scooper. Remember that. :D

Preach, brother!!!

16. 418

418 Expert #59

Nothing that SEC does is proactive.

They just pretend to clean up the mess afterwards and hand out fines.

For the record I bought Rivian near IPO and rode it down like a distinguished gentleman well below 50% of value on the Tesla EV stock hype.

Sophisticated investor. :cool:

17. Tristan

It's pretty stupid... pretty much any stock that's in the crapper get's a sell or hold rating and anything at an all time high is BUY!

418 likes this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What the heck, it's been awhile since my last truly stupid buy. I'm sure the water's just fine. :D

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The cosmos is paying you back with some bad karma for being a hypocrite and buying TV stocks. Do us a favor and get out so we can buy. It probably won't meaningfully go up again until you sell. :D

418 likes this.
  20. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

:stupid:

What the heck, I'm a lemming! I'll give dollar cost averaging a shot, this can go with the 14 shares I got from the AT&T spinoff. Who knows, maybe I'll get back in the green at some point!