Down sizing ( getting rid of stuff)

Discussion in 'General' started by Photo, Nov 22, 2023.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Every year. If I haven’t worn it, shot it, or ridden it. Gone.

I hate clutter. It makes zero sense to me. When I sell a bike, I sell everything for it, with it.

Once a Wanker.. and Steeltoe like this.
  2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I'm going through this now. Trying to rid of stuff my mother hoarded, as well as my stuff that was in storage since I had to move and look after my mom. After 10+ years, most of the crap you keep has little value to you anymore. But I also know if I don't go through every box, I'll regret missing something that ~does~ have value to me.

Example: while cleaning the room adjacent to the garage, where the water heater is located, I found a very old Pringles canister. In it were pieces of brass with a 90 degree bend at the end, which were ground to a point. There was also a round piece of aluminum with an allen head set screw .

I then remembered: my father retired in 1972, after 28 years in the US Army. He elected to attend vocational school, to become a machinist/tool&die maker. So my mother went to work at a cotton mill, working third shift. My dad would cook my brother and I breakfast at about the time my mother got home from work. My mom would sleep while all three of us were in school.

My mother once expressed frustration on the tools she had to use to clear out cotton from the machine when it jammed. So that is when my dad made these tools for her. She was the envy of her co-workers.

upload_2023-11-22_15-2-12.png

upload_2023-11-22_15-3-28.png

cha0s#242, SuddenBraking, Tas and 8 others like this.
  4. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

You want the 2012-16 (pre emissions BS) 500 XC-W, what a great machine. I found a '12 with 12 hours on it and couldn't be happier.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

:beer:

6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

One of my friends was going through something similar.
    For anything that had/has an emotional attachment, it really helped them to take a picture of the "thing"

Somehow it seemed to transfer the emotional attachment to the picture, and they could more easily let go of the thing.
    Seemed to work for them.

BigBird, 27 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Thank you, didn’t realize that. Also out here I think it has to be a EXC-F so I can ride on the street between different trails and not worry about the time of the year I ride.

Is the 12-16 fuel injected? We can’t get ethanol free out here and I hate cleaning out carbs after a few months of non use.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. YamahaRick

Can you buy cans of ethanol free at HD? I know a friend here does that for one of his lawn care devices.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Actually not sure on buying at HD. I could probably figure out the proper race gas that may work, but it is easier to get something fuel injected and just hit the local gas station.

10. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Yes its fuel injected with premium, my XC-W is plated, but no mirror, brake lights, turn signals. or horn. You can buy a kit that has all that for ~200$ that is plug and play, if needed. The only streets I ride are to get to the next dirt road/trail and I have no issues using my hands as signals. Either way its a great machine and Im now a reformed anti orange guy:0

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You can, and it's $30 for 100 ounces!

12. YamahaRick

Isn't that what @Boman Forklift pays at the pump for self serve 87? ;--)

Razr and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

you mentioned in a thread that I kept everything or had it digitally… so I checked myself ;) thanks for that :) I think I’m doing ok really… I have 2 old Rubbermaid Action Packers, that have all of my important things in them and for my 52 years on earth I’m ok with that… I do have external hard drives and thousands of pics on them, there are 15k on this phone and clouds too, mostly all my kids pics… I learned long ago that the only treasures we really acquire are memories, mostly from travels and adventures, and pics are just ways to trigger and remember those times…

I’m dealing with three generations of others’ shit right now… and that’s what it is… just stuff with no sentimental value and damn sure no real monetary value… it actually pisses me off to have to spend time on it and I’m damn sure not putting my kids through this… rant off… yeah give it all away and let it be used or recycled by someone

14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

only $3 worth because he can save $.02/gal just a few miles and another 30min of his time :D

Once a Wanker.. and YamahaRick like this.
  15. YamahaRick

I've done good this week - I sold three unneeded TVs. Filled up both the regular and recycle cans each of the past two weeks.

Ever hear of the story of the guy that started with a paper clip, then bartered his way up to getting a car? Well, I don't need a car, as I have one for sale (2020 Toyota Avalon XSE Hybrid still under Toyota warranty). Then again, this showed up today:

[​IMG]

16. YamahaRick

So are you saying @Boman Forklift is my dad??? (who would do that).

27 likes this.
  17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

just in time for the MotoGP Finale!

18. YamahaRick

I'm a gonna park my Spondon framed TZ350 right in front, so it looks like part of the action!

boxcrash and 27 like this.
  19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Not long ago he posted about running out of gas and miraculously coasting from the freeway to a gas station and then only put in a few bucks because it was cheaper at the next exit… I told him he should’ve bought a lottery ticket with that luck but he wasn’t giving those price gouging gas jockeys another penny! :crackup:
    He won the cheapo award that day… which is hard to do around here admittedly:D

cha0s#242 and YamahaRick like this.
  20. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Works better if you make the ringadingding noises… so I’ve heard;)

YamahaRick likes this.