Pop Up Toy Haulers? Anyone have one?

Discussion in 'General' started by zracer196, Oct 8, 2011.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Couple things....Arent you a contractor? How the eff you driving a ridgeline instead of a 4x4, dually, 3500, 6" lift on 36's? Man step up your game. Then you can tow a real TH.

Also....that thing is ghetto fabulous. The only way to improve on that design is to make it yourself from an old mobile home frame, a pop up coleman from 1982 and some ratchet straps. Do that instead. Oh but make sure the trailer rims are chromed out...sano as eff. or maybe spinners.

2. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

That's gonna be way too much tongue weight I imagine.

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Ghetto Fabulous, sounds like an old school rapper:crackup:

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

We bought 2.6 acres earlier this year. It has a singlewide frame on it. Come get it and make one.

I agree with Pat2, once you put the motorcycles on that thing, it will crush the rear suspension of your ....truck(?)

5. rd400racer

Ridge is rated at 600# tongue weight and the trailer says 219# hitch weight...I'm not quite sure if that means their tongue weight, or what adding the bikes to the trailer portion on the front adds to it. I'm not very trailer savvy, but I did go to the Ridgeline Forum and some of the rigs people are towing are huge compared to this little thing. I mean Airstream huge.

6. rd400racer

Yep, that's what I'm afraid of now. And thanks, but I'm done building things. Spent my life doing that and I'm tired.

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

rd400racer likes this.
  8. stickboy274

I would still like you to come get this thing out of the way so I don't have to move it. I have to clear that spot to put a house in there.

Set up like that, that trailer will be super tongue heavy. They set it up so it would be safe to tow empty. You could have a great porch when you get to the camping spot. Once you throw 1000#+ of motorcycles that far in front of the axle, that thing will be a beast. You can't put enough weight on top of that pop up to offset what you put on the front.

You will need a good load leveling hitch, I recommend an Anderson, and airbags on the truck. Everyone that I've talked into getting one of these hitches and said it's the best they've used.

https://www.amazon.com/3324-Anderse...fos.2b70bf2b-6730-4ccf-ab97-eb60747b8daf&th=1

rd400racer likes this.
  9. rd400racer

You're right. I keep trying to tell myself it will be fine but I came here for common sense answers. Plus for what we'd pay for this thing, we could stay at the finest hotels in Oxford, AL or Garrettsville OH for a fraction of that. But I love to stay at the track after racing is over. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

10. stickboy274

I get more sleep staying at the track, and I get to hang out with my friends.

Now, I'll admit, that Anniston Econo lodge made from old pallets is really nice.

rd400racer likes this.
  11. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

https://www.sylvansport.com/shop/go/
    Ive got one of these. Its pretty lightweight, and pulls extremely well. I can fit two dirtbikes on it, but two SVs might be a bit much. Probably wouldn’t be enough room for all the bikes, and the gear with only a Ridgeline, but maybe, idk.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  12. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I've been researching the hell out of these, as the better half has decided she won't camp in the 6x12 cargo trailer that I have, no matter how much I pimp it out and I'm too cheap to buy an F-350 with a tune to haul anything larger :rolleyes:.
    I'd get a traditional, two axle pop-up like the one in the photo, as I have just 1 bike, but I've had to load up in the rain at the end of a weekend enough times to not want to bother with wet canvas later.
    In regards to tongue weight, depending on where you center the load on the deck, only a % of that load will go to the hitch. Then there's the option of strapping something to the camper's back bumper to counter-weight the hitch. Again, distance between the new load and the hitch and the distance between the axle and the hitch will determine how much you impact the hitch weight.
    There are lighter options like the Sylvan Sport, as well as single axle A-frame campers with a cargo deck. I'm leaning toward an A-frame myself,.

13. rd400racer

I've looked at the A frame and they're cool, but I've got too much stuff to bring with two of us racing. Plus the sleeping arrangement is a bit too cozy for two grown men. I like your idea about a counterweight in the back, maybe a bike hitch hauler for the Ruckus. Or the thought crossed my mind that I could put one SV in the bed and then the other SV and pit bikes on the trailer bed, with the SV more towards the axle. I haven't given up yet.

14. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

if you're ok with semi roughing it, look for a Scorpion upload_2023-10-26_13-48-41.png

or a Livin' Lite SUT
    [​IMG]

rd400racer and Sabre699 like this.
  15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

For 12k does it come with hookers and blow?

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  16. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

I paid way less than that. I agree that its still overpriced, but the original purchaser bought it to be towed with a Honda Accord. Other than a tent, there really aren’t many other options that are lightweight enough to be pulled by a car. A car could pull a “tear drop” camper, but those things are way too small. Its also a pretty heavy duty trailer. Ive used it for hauling my diesel lawn tractor before.

17. rd400racer

That Scorpion is perfect. Only problem is they haven't made it in years so it's hard to find. There was one in Indy and when I called the guy he just laughed and said they sold it 8 years ago!

18. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

19. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

These things all look like more tent than toyhauler... so why not just get a really nice big tent? Add a portable AC and toilet if you must. A bit more setup/takedown time is greatly offset by many advantages.