I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

It's another gun buying wknd for an AR in 556.

But first I had to figure out wth furniture has to do with guns. :confused:

I want to stay on the 'budget' side of the $ scale, under $1000 for sure.....$500 range even better.

I 'think' i want it to have aluminum upper/lower, M-Lok rail, optics ready and iron sights.

I saw a very bad review/situation with the Radical AR....the barrel bore was actually too big for the round and the bullet casings were splitting/bulging inside the chamber when fired. But all other reviews have been very positive for a $400 gun.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Radical Firearms
    Delton Sierra
    MP
    Ruger
    IWI Zion

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Is it your first? For around 800 you could get a base model FN-15 and really be done if it’s likely to be your only. The m&p, ar556 etc are running right around the same. But I’d go with the FN personally for cool points if nothing else, but they are great :D For budgetier we are also super happy with the psa’s that get well used and abused. edit:my bad……the FN I saw is just a hair under 900.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
  3. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

For the price range you listed look at the Palmetto State Armory Sabre lineup. They come with nice upgrades like an ambi Radian charging handle and you can get an FN cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel.

The only one I’ve seen to stay away from is anything with the Sabre lockup. If you like to tinker or have a problem with the gas block it takes special tools and a Chinese octopus to put it back on.

A friend of mine gave me stupid money for my upper and I am in the market to upgrade myself. I want the Daniel Defense RIS III upper but my sensible side keeps trying to convince to buy a Sabre. If I could find one right now I’d settle in the middle with a BCM.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
  4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

If you really want to have fun with your desire to own an AR10 or 15 build it yourself.

Buy a lower and then go shopping at Optics Planet, Aero Precision, and PSA. You don’t have to go nuts all at once. Take. Little time. Pick your parts after watching reviews and research and ask here if you feel inclined. Trust me. It’s fun and then you know exactly how the gun works. Cause you built it yourself.

The one thing I will advise. Use a drop in trigger. MilSpec triggers are a pain in the ass.

I’m currently pondering that new Shadow2 Compact. I know a shop that has 4 in stock. Dammit!!!!

5. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Q has a nifty promo, which I haven’t seen before; buy one of their pistols, do the Form1 two-step to SBR it, and then get a stock at no additional charge. Way faster than doing the Form4 and you get to enjoy your pistol in the meantime. I just need to convince myself not to get into .300BLK.

IMG_5415.jpeg

6. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Opinions on the Tavor or
    Cz Bren 2?

7. gapman789

...or find one that has already been built, kinda like buying a race ready track bike. Problem with that is, I don't know whats what when it comes to the different brands and shit...I had to google Magpul, M-lock, and i still don't know what QD is?

I wouldn't mind building an AR, but maybe just get a budget one for now, then build a 'custom' one over the winter.

Here's a 'custom' AR near me....https://www.armslist.com/posts/14745691/cincinnati-ohio-rifles-for-sale--aero-precision-16--ar-15

8. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

Aero’s aren’t budget friendly anymore if you ask me.

I just finished putting another aero together and they’re starting to increase prices to more mid range like a BCM.

9. Christopher Graybosch

QD is the way the sling mounts to the stock/rail. It’s a quick connect fitting system for fast sling customization.

gapman789 likes this.
  10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I wasn’t saying Aero was cheap, but it’s a solid brand and their customer service has been excellent in my experience. They’re an American company in a non gun friendly state. So maybe prices have gone up as a part of their fight to survive there. So I’m ok with the extra cost if that’s part of it.

11. Christopher Graybosch

I hear ya. I’ve built two Aero’s. They aren’t cheap by any means, I’m not sure why people are quick to throw them in the same bucket as palmetto (not saying you).

one thing I’ve noticed in the gun community is so many people claim certain things are the “best” and you can definitely tell it’s because they’ve overpaid for something and are trying to justify it to themselves lol.

12. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Look into Ruger AR 556. It's a quality gun and budget friendly. I have one and it is way nicer than my buddy's S&W M&P that was slightly more money. They come optics ready and a simple trigger upgrade makes them a really nice gun for not much money.

gapman789 likes this.
  13. gapman789

That was on my short list of 5.

14. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Not sure how pricing is these days, but when I bought mine, it was under $500 new in the box. They even have several options on what Magpul furniture you want and optics ready or not. Pick the setup you want and roll with one. They're nice units.

I've built several ARs since in both .556 and .22lr, so I know my way around them a bit.

15. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Get a PSA or M&P Sport for your first. After the new wears off, build your own off Aero bits. They run constant sales, and especially on their blem stuff, you'll save significantly. A few weeks back they had a, "buy a complete upper, get a complete lower for free" sale. For the money, there's no better upper/lower/handguard combo. From there choose higher end triggers, BCGs, barrels, and such to make a really nice gun

StaccatoFan and gapman789 like this.
  16. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

I read it, a well reasoned decision. Hopefully it sticks and other states review the issue. I was going to buy a compliant Ruger 556 but I'm going to hold off for a bit taking a chance that NJ laws will change with litigation that's ongoing. Rather wait and get a better rifle if that works out. Probably get a compliant PCC in the interim.

I really like the TX, put about 200 rounds through it without a problem. I have a G3 which is very similar so it's good practice. G3 is the same size but about a third heavier, grips are almost identical and triggers are very close. Very happy with both. Only 10 round mags here so fingers don't take much of a beating. :D

17. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

I hate having to deal with the magazine restriction here in NJ.
    Just a PITA for no valid reason; but if you want to look on the "bright side of life"
    it is a little easier not having to press those last two rounds into a high capacity magazine. :crackup:

Knarf Legna likes this.
  18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

What, like a 50 rd magazine or 100 rd drum?
    The standard capacity magazine is easy to get all 30 rds into.

Sabre699 likes this.
  19. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

thats too much work to do if youre just starting out looking to see what fits unless you enjoy it and dont mind some frustration. Maybe look in to complete uppers and lowers for the time being or just complete rifles. Should be lots of sales coming in the next month

gapman789 likes this.
  20. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

Will appreciate if you can share the name of the shop with the Shadow 2 compact in stock.