The Electric Car Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

You're not using the most factual source on the planet - joy behar. The non-partisan world genius will correct you shortly.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Yes

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I was wrong we misunderstood each other. Thank you @diggy for posting that, as I was looking it up.

When I spoke with my buddie, "the special rate" was that with solar he produces so much electricity that even with his car charging at any time of the day, he still gets a rebate. He said he hasn't paid for electric in over 7 years and currently has 2 EV cars that get charged at his house.

I thought he told me with net metering he was getting a special deal for electric and what he meant was, the high rates with net metering don't get him, because he is under the old plan where he generates so much electricity he never pays an electric bill.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
  5. pickled egg

That is utter and complete horseshit.

People don’t like being FORCED to change for no reason other than to placate the propagandists and pay off the grifters.

Without even getting into the practicality (or lack thereof) of the grand vision of a “carbon-free world…

6. StaccatoFan

Except the huge majority of materials for your $30k battery doesn’t source from North America. It’s all monopolized by one place they throws your dreaded carbon emissions in the sky with wreckless abandon cause they got all you virtue signalers to take the bait.

7. StaccatoFan

Solar panels have a life span. Your friend isn’t paying now. But when the panels need replacing. He’s gonna pay. They’re going to charge him well for taking the old panels. All his savings. Poof. Gone.

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

The human body is about 20% carbon so there's that.

9. pickled egg

Time to selectively eradicate them. I volunteer to vet the candidates to be shot into space :D

10. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

15 years if I remember correctly and a wind turbine only produces 50% of its power 15-20% of the time. To say that a utility is truly 42% renewable is BS. They may have that much available, but it’s not their baseload. The Southwest Power Pool only allows companies to use renewable energy as 13% of their available generation. Not sure how the rest of the country works, but I would think it would be pretty close to that number.

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Let's go with the submersible.

BigBird likes this.
  12. pickled egg

That won’t work. The carbon will still be terrestrial and may escape its watery sequestration and cause the very worst of the worst in climate catastrophe.

13. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

It is kind like me having free water because I am on well and don't pay for it.
    Except maintenance and replacing pump/pipes every 10 years or so, electricity for pump and everything associated with it cost me same as I was on city water and paying monthly. :)

14. StaccatoFan

If EVs are so great. Why do they need all these subsidies and tax breaks to get people to buy them?

if an idea or invention is awesome. It sells itself.

dtalbott likes this.
  15. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

Sigh, we already covered this pages back. Batteries are $6k-ish to replace. And my EV surpasses an ICE in carbon savings around 8000 miles. It is estimated to be about 200 times more carbon efficient over its lifespan and this estimate will only grow as states move towards more renewables (mine will eliminate all coal power by 2030).

The anti EV arguments are all so repetitive. Please tell me which line and row you'd like me to address next. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
  16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Not hard to see the value in not having to consume Fluoridated poison though, at any cost. I’m with you there.

17. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

2020?

AC1108 likes this.
  18. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

dtalbott likes this.
  19. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

Haha, there is definitely no grifting in oil and gas... I work in the business and the majority of our company's revenue comes from the deep throat Middle East.

You're not being forced to do anything, INCENTIVES are put in place to evoke change. Don't want the incentive, don't do it.

I totally get it, you're not going to change your mind. To call everything utter and complete horseshit is disingenuous and not really studying what newer technology can offer.

20. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

Again, this is humorous as solar panels don't "throw a rod" and are inoperable ("poof, all his savings gone"). They produce electricity LONG past 25yrs. They are warrantied to 25yrs to produce 90% of when they were new.

It's almost like you're trying to be obtuse

Boman Forklift and cu260r6 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.