1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LW or Relay? LW Bike Prep?

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by William Schneider, Nov 22, 2022.

1. William Schneider

William Schneider Well-Known Member

Hello All,

The endurance team I am apart of is considering racing in the LW class or the Relay class for the entirety of next season. We are weighting the pros and cons. I was hoping to get some insight from some other folks to help us decide.

On a related note, I am wondering what I should do to get my SV prepped for LW endurance racing. Do I need a quick fill cap? Quick change rear? Underslung rear caliper? Quick change front? Etc.?

Thanks,
    Will

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

You don't need quick fuel for relay as every rider on the team races on their own bike, so the bike will be fueled and ready to go, just need to put the transponder on from the bike coming off the track entering the pits. The downside of racing a lw bike in relay is there are no displacement classes in relay so you could be competing against a team with all liter bikes. If you wish to enter the lw class, most all of the bikes use dry breaks, dump cans, and enlarged tanks that enable a 2 stop strategy in a 4 hour race (80 minutes between pit stops). Pretty much every team runs one front tire in a 4 hour race. You can run a single rear tire on a lw bike in 4 hours, but some teams prefer a softer compound rear and change it out at the 2 or 3 hour mark. All depends on your strategy. If you're new to endurance racing and your riders are not at the pointy end of the grid, don't get too wrapped up in the endurance equipment. I suggest you enter a race and learn how things go. If you truly like it and want to put together a serious effort, then discuss investing in quick fuel equipment with your team members.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If being competitive is a priority, comb thru last years results to get a feel for laptimes on the LW vs. relay teams.
    I've raced LW for many years, and at this point we're usually midpack so that got me thinking of trying relay. In the first couple seasons entries were thin and mostly newbs so we could have collected some $$. Now there's more fast guys doing it.
    If your teammates all have their own bikes relay makes a lot of sense, no quick fill/change stuff to buy and no worries about wrecking someone else's shit.

Waterboy and William Schneider like this.
  4. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I'd hold off a bit on your decision. The relay class was originally created to give riders new to endurance a try at it to see if they liked the concept of endurance racing. The class has turned into not what it was intended to be. There have been some rounds where the winning relay team was in the top 3 fastest overall as well. Will a relay class exist in 2023? Maybe, maybe not. Will there be changes if it does exist? Maybe, maybe not. Could payouts in relay cease to exist to potentially discourage "cherry pickers"? Maybe, maybe not. What I will tell you is these things are being discussed.

William Schneider likes this.
  5. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

That's too bad. The relay class is the only reason I've run endurance for the last two years.

I thought the payouts were significantly less for the class too.

William Schneider likes this.
  6. William Schneider

William Schneider Well-Known Member

I appreciate all the feedback!

I think I should clarify a couple things. My team and I competed in the relay race at GNF. We had a great time and want to do the full season this year. We known we have the equipment to run relay already, but I was proposing we do LW on my SV because it seemed that more people competed in the class, we would be more competitive as a team (all slower than 1:41 @ Barber), and we'd actually be doing the endurance racing pit stops (i.e. fuel, change tires). I don't have a problem with one of my teammates crashing my bike, which I've already crashed 4 times. I also have a backup SV if we need it.

To answer a few points. We are definitely not at the pointy end, particularly with endurance racing. Each of us could barely finish a 30 minute stint . We are doing this for fun and to get better as riders. Although we'd likely start with one rear tire for the race (if doing LW), we were thinking of running a softer tire and changing it mid-race. What equipment do you think would be worth investing in to do that in a reasonable amount of time? If we ran Bridgestones (because of contingency) what would you recommend for the front, hard rear, and softer rear? Or do you have other tire suggestions?

I have a few beat up, dented SV tanks, so I was thinking of welding together an endurance tank just to try it. Any suggestions on doing that?

Thanks,
    Will

7. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

All I'm saying is they are reviewing the class structure and intent. I have no real idea if there will be any changes at all. I just know there is talk about it.

8. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I think you answered your own question. You already know the endurance scene and it seems like you have a great perspective on things. Seems like you all should jump into the LW class and give it a go. You know you will have fun and what you want out of it is very realistic.

Sudowoodo and William Schneider like this.