1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 hour lightweight racing?

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by JROB, Aug 15, 2022.

?

LWT bikes in 2 hour endurance?

1. 4 hour only

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. 2 and 4 hour options

20 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. 2 hour only

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. JROB

JROB Active Member

@Mongo , have you thought about allowing lightweight bikes into the 2 hour race? Not necessarily taking them out of the 4, but just allowing people who want a shorter endurance option? Speeds between the 3/400ccs and lightweights aren't as different as lightweights and 1000s in the 4 hour.

I'm running ulw this year but thinking about lwt next year, but don't have enough friends or planning skills for the 4 hour

2. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

I'd be down for a 2 hour LW option! Our GT races already take 40 mins and that not long enough for drama.

3. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Sign up for the 4-hour and run only half the race? Not a cheap option, but a viable one lol

All I know is this weekend at Pitt the top guys on LW bikes were running well over 30 seconds faster than the slowest ULW bikes. That's a huge speed differential IMO to have. In the 4-hour race the top 1000s were about 22ish seconds faster than the slowest LW bikes. Of course it all depends on numbers too. If it's a small grid, then it probably isn't as big of a deal. This weekend we had big grids in both races!

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, I have thought about it. I agree the speed differences aren't as great as the 1k to LWT machines and doing that class in both races might work. I'll think about it and get some more input.

50Joe likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Usually the slowest bikes in the 4 hour aren't the LW bikes....

noles19 likes this.
  6. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I didn't even look at the times of others, just the LW bikes. Nevertheless the races this weekend ran nice and smooth. 6 hours of endurance races with packed grids, and ZERO red flags!

noles19 likes this.
  7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I don't hate the idea and would probably run both races if you do it (I'd need to get in better shape and/or take on a 3rd rider)

8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Be a good idea for people getting into endurance racing because most stock tanks will do a hour and one set of tires should do the whole race

9. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

We would sign up for the 2 hour race also.
    I think it is a good idea considering the ULW grids are not that full.
    LW and ULW already run friday practice together.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We're not talking about have two different LW races but moving the LW class from the 4 to the 2 hour...

DmanSlam likes this.
  11. Lance Molnar

Lance Molnar Aoxomoxoa

:Poke:

rcarson15 and noles19 like this.
  12. Ben W

Ben W New Member

It would be awesome to have an option to run 2hr and/or 4hr for a weekend.

The 2hr option will help get more people involved. Local teams that don't have the financing can show up for a one-off on practically stock equipment.

The 2hr option would also allow teams that are tight on financing the ability to attend more distance events that they typically wouldn't consider. Shorter race, lower costs.

To add to that, having the flexibility to hit both rounds in a weekend would be awesome. If we are traveling like we are, we want as much seat time as possible.

Not to mention, I know there are a lot of racers that are not racing twins now because they are racing the 4hr on a 600 or 1000 that would love some time on a twin.....

I would hate to see the 4hr our deleted for twins.

To have a 2hr option...it would probably make for a super entertaining jam packed turnout.

13. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Uh, yeah. That makes a big difference for some of us who are considering going from MWT to LWT for next year.

14. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Then I say no way.....
    LW needs to stay in 4 hour no matter what.
    I say also allow LW in the 2 hour but must use oem fuel capacity and no quick fill.

Are the ULW bikes allowed to change tank size and use quick fill?

50Joe likes this.
  15. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Not supposed to. SS rules for the bikes.

16. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

A 2 hour lwt race with no endurance tanks allowed in addition to the lwt 4 hours would be the best option.
    If you drop the 4 hour lwt next year you will have a lot of pissed off people with endurance tanks

JBall likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The conversation had changed.

18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

no...

No Brakes and noles19 like this.
  19. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

LW 4 hr has a solid turnout at every round. Don't mess with a good thing. Adding a LW 2 hr addition would be pretty cool though. I could see many team doing both hence, more money for WERA.

Wheel Bearing and regularguy like this.
  20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'm not swapping tanks between races, and even with a big tank there'll be one fuel stop required.

50Joe likes this.