1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I agree
    My night set up is a AR 10 6.5 creedmoor with pulsar thermal and a ti nomad can. It is a pleasure to shoot and comes in at 11 lbs. my only problem is finding free range places to hunt hogs.

2. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

If you ever decide to sell LMK . Would be interested in a 6.5 AR

3. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Everybody wants the 6.5! I built one in .308 (no idea why) and want it gone. Never even fired it! If there's any gun talk in her vicinity, my wife will make a point to ask "do we need any .308 ammo?"

4. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

LMAO
    I tried selling a 6.5 for months then just recently changed it over to 308 and sold it the same day. Clearly I was not marketing it correctly

5. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I haven't seriously tried to sell other than talking to friends about it. I'll get serious one day!

6. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

.30hate is my favorite cartridge but I still love my 6.5 AR. Can easily make accurate shots at 1k yards all day long with it. Biggest problem is sourcing ammo. Not hard to find but my local big box stores are generally the cheapest for ammo (and I have a credit card for one of them), but for some reason I can't generally find the ammo I like for my 6.5 there. Usually have to order online which means if I'm lucky, I get it for the same prices as the local stores then have to pay shipping on top. Inevitably, if it's free shipping, then the per round cost is simply higher.

britx303 likes this.
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

.30hate...
    That's beautiful, man...love my .30hates.
    :crackup:

six6two, britx303 and redtailracing like this.
  8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

.308 became our new favorite between the wife and I, for more HP fun. We snagged a case of target ammo on sale at Norma several months back for approximately .80 a round. Waiting for that deal again……….:rock:

9. Neily

Neily Member

Hot damn, that's a nice deal for Norma.

10. Sig P365XL or Canik TP9 Elite SC.

I have a lot of little guns. Off the top of my head, I’ve spent time with the Hellcat OSP, G43X, P365XL, XD-E .45, XD MOD-2, XDM Elite Compact, and Canik TP9 Elite SC for sure. Seems like im missing a few, but that’s the main ones I’ve carried.

The little Canik is my first choice, but it depends on what im wearing. The P365XL is a little thinner, and doesn’t print. Both are good for EDC, but the Canik is just a touch wider.

But both feel good in my hand. Sometimes the tiny (micro compact) guns are aggravating. They are hard to get a good grip on and very “snappy” (especially the .45).

But the P365XL and little Canik are perfect. Both easy to shoot and both Optic ready.

11. Neily

Neily Member

LCP is fine but not a great 380 in my experience. Stick to either Sig or Kimber Micro, Hellcat is great too. Ruger usually makes really good product, but LCP didn't feel good when I've had it. Sold it few months ago and got myself Sig p365XL, one of the best decisions I've ever made.
    On the offnote, do any of you lads hunt with a silencer? Been thinking about getting one for some time.

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I have the LCP and have basically turned into the LCPII with the upgrades I have done.

Pros:
    Small and very concealable.
    Plenty of shots for a pocket gun.
    Small size makes me more likely to carry it than my 34 or 26 or DB9mm or Springfield baby 1911 or XDS or Hellcat.
    Accurate out of the box.
    Goes bang every time I pull the trigger with any type of ammo.
    Relatively cheap so I don't mind scratching it up in my pocket.
    I find it easier to stay on, reacquire target as the gun doesn't seem as snappy as a micro 9mm.
    My wife could grab this in an emergency and it won't scare her with the recoil. Some 9mm's hurt her wrist. She's small and an excellent shot so it's not a matter of training it out of her.

Cons:
    Smaller frame which may not work with all hands, I have big hands (XL gloves) and never have a problem.
    It's not 9mm. I see this both ways. If I can put more rounds on target accurately does this really matter?
    Less capacity that all the guns listed above. Spare mags are reasonable and small.
    Not flashy. You won't win the admiration of the .45 guys at the range.
    It's so unobtrusive that I have actually forgotten to throw it in my pocket.
    Too small for any type of light/laser without changing the best part of the gun, conceal-ability. I am not a fan of having optics on my CC. I don't want to spend time acquiring the target, I'm much quicker with iron sights.

Go to a range and put some rounds downrange. To each their own.

britx303 likes this.
  13. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Can we talk flying with firearms for a minute? I’m flying from San Antonio to Atlanta soon and this will be the first time I fly with a pistol. I’ve got a Pelican case and a box for the ammo I’ll be taking. Obviously the gun will be unloaded. I have TSA and Southwest rules printed out. Honestly it seems pretty straightforward. Any tips or tricks to make it as smooth as possible? I don’t mind the hoops but my wife thinks I’m getting carried away traveling with a pistol, any slight inconvenience and I’ll hear about it for the next 27 years o_O

14. Neily

Neily Member

Shouldn't be any problems with your setup, but you never know with TSA. Make sure to remain calm if they start creating problems and just refer to the rules.

Gorilla George and GixxerJohn011 like this.
  15. GixxerJohn011

Another vote for a 365 XL here. I REALLY like the FN 509C but stayed with my 365 because it is a bit thinner.

How is the trigger on your Canik? A friend bought a TP9 on a whim on the way to the range one day and the trigger was probably worse than the LCP Max I ran into the dirt earlier. To be fair I think I shot the second mag through it , maybe it needed to break in.

16. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

You've got the pelican case (with locks I assume) so you are great there. Ammo needs to be in the original box that it came in which is wierd but hey them's the rules. Other than that leave it locked in your checked bag until you get to the ticket counter and say these words, "I have a firearm that I need to declare". They will instruct you from there and its usually very relaxed and easy. Don't forget to race to the baggage claim when your flight is over as your luggage will be running around the carousel unattended with your gun in it. Oh and don't put TSA locks on the Pelican case. They only need to check it at the counter then you lock it up and they don't need access to it after that.

GixxerJohn011 and Gorilla George like this.
  17. This.

Make sure to put a regular (Master, Brinks, etc) type lock on the gun. Not a TSA lock.

And make sure if/when they want to inspect the firearm, YOU are to open the box and show them. It seems like a minor technicality, but under no circumstances are you supposed to give them the key. The key must stay on you at all times.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  18. The trigger on the little Canik is “ok”. It’s not the best. It isn’t in the same league as the XDM-Elite, Walther Q5 Match SF, or even the regular Walther PDP. But it does get a little better after you get a lot of rounds through it.

But it is miles better than the FN 509 Tactical. The trigger on that thing sucksass.

I like the little Canik because of how it fits in my hand. It feels like a full/regular size gun, but I can EDC it.

19. GixxerJohn011

I have seen a few videos mentioning that. I have the TSA regulations printed out specifically for that.

Good to know on the 509. Every time I see one I want to buy it. I haven’t shot one or even dry fired it so maybe this will save me $900+ and put it out of my mind.

Have you seen the Boresight Solutions grip module for the 365? It’s a stipple job and they add some material to the back, they call it a Razorback. If it doesn’t quite fit your hand it made a big difference for me. You can also adjust how much they add to the back if you have massive hands.
    https://www.boresightsolutions.com/...-sig-sauer-p365x-p365xl-l-with-razorback-mod/

20. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

What EDC Semi-autos have the smoothest recoil? I have 2 reasons for this: 1st I want to like practicing with it because I want the use to become very familiar, and somewhat related, I have carpal tunnel issues where I need to be as easy on my hands as possible. I've heard a few good things about the PX4 subcompact, but haven't heard about other subcompacts. What sayeth the beeb?