1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

autoclub speedway...is done

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Aug 17, 2022.

1. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i live less than 2 miles from it and i am sure this is old news to most on here, but i just saw it....theyre taking down the track, infield course, drag strip, oval, go cart track...and reducing it all to a 1/2 mile short track for nascar and selling off the rest of the land to investors. sad loss for motorsports in socal. another track added to the ones in this area that just vanished.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Damn, just damn. I actually enjoyed racing the WERA events there.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You saw in person they are tearing it down? They've been planning on it for a few years now but got delayed.

4. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Fuckin hell.

5. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Another set of lap records that will stand forever, that’s too bad.

Razr likes this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Selling parts to land investors? Oh, that’ll go over well. Warehouse and manufacturing might work but clone homes and McMansions? Building houses near a nascar track (or airport or the like) always ends well. :crackup:
    Shit, we’ve got people here that bought houses near the high school that bitch about the traffic, the noise from sports events and the lights at night. :D shit, they bitch about the damn golf course.

stk0308 likes this.
  7. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

its zoned industrial. the company i left last year was bidding on a lot of the warehouses and buildings that are going to go in. And Nascar "might" be selling the land but they are retaining the development rights/acting as construction manager for all the development. so they will make money on it and i also believe they will own some of them and just be landlords.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...people bitch. It's what they do.

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

That would have to go through a significant rezoning (its unincorp County) for it to go to houses. I don't see either Fontana or Ontario annexing it. My bet is more commercial/light industrial like what's around it. All that space is within the OIA Airport Influence Area special sound district anyway. YMMV.

G 97 likes this.
  10. G 97

G 97 Garth

It was a fun track and easy to get to although it was in a heavily industrial area. Not sure how valuable the property is beyond industrial warehouse value. It’s certainly not residential property value. There are a lot of nice places for eating, shopping and hotels within 20 min or so. I always liked it. Just goes to show how difficult it is for tracks to be profitable especially after the NASCAR decline. Gotta have gate revenue close to every week. Too bad.

malamute and Sabre699 like this.
  11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

JJJerry and MachineR1 like this.
  12. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Hell, race motorbikes and Go-Karts there. Enjoyed the place for sure.

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

2 miles from autoclub... hmmm by old town Fontana or north in the "new" housing development?

I used to work on Arrow near beach...maybe a mile as the crow flies. When the NASCARS were practicing it sounded like they were in your side yard.

As stated that area is industrial..I think it was a Kaiser steel plant so no way you want homes on that land. That whole are is scrap yards, manufacturing and warehouses so thats what will get put there.

malamute likes this.
  14. 418

418 Expert #59

To be fair, these road racing ovals never did take off. And out west they had a few of them. Las Vegas, Fontana, Pikes Peak...

Do they still run bikes at Pocono?

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They unpaved paradise and built an industrial park.

16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Dyslexic Joni??

Bugslayer likes this.
  17. MachineR1

MachineR1 Well-Known Member

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. malamute

malamute ARRA racer

Bummer. Was happy to have raced supermoto at such an awesome facility with the short lived XTRM there.

19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

The backstretch one? Probably. But trackdays and WERA have been running it straight since like 2014.

MachineR1 likes this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

I don’t remember the specific years but they made changes a couple of years the chicane and then the T1-2 area and then t5 IIRC. Just minor changes. It always seems the track was never exactly the same from year to year for a couple of years.