1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, I'm officially retired(not retarded), sort of

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Morgan, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

For the next 3-4 months. Season ended on the boat/quit. Going to Egypt to kiteboard for a month. Only give 30 day visas so, going to Greece and Turkey for a week each, back to Egypt, maybe go diving. Then off to Madagascar to chase wind. Any of you guys been to Madagascar???? Tips/advice, places to stay

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

All I know about Madagascar is watch out for the foosa and avoid King Julien and Mort.

Sounds like a wicked awesome trip. Have a blast!

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

:confused: Always thought you sounded like the fun mod. Who wouldn’t wanna party with mort?

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Mort might be fun in short doses but he has that foot fetish shit going on. Maurice might be fun.

but Stefano, man, he’d be freakin’ awesome to hang out with and do epically stupid shit with (even if he’s not on Madagascar.)

5. Captain Morgan

I love quitting jobs with proper notice, they have the concerned look of why, this time answer is because I want to go kiteboarding, fish and travel. You can document that on my way out

dtalbott likes this.
  6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That sounds like a lot of fun. Also sounds like an awesome vacation.

But to me, retired means you have enough money saved up, to never have to work again. If you do congratulations, as that was what l wanted to say when reading the thread title.

cav115 and jrsamples like this.
  7. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Quitters never win, and be sure to get some cinnamon for your next cook job.

8. Captain Morgan

I'm not fond on the American idea of you work your whole life with a weeks vacation and when you are 65 after you saved up all your money and benefits, then you relax and live the good life with money, but thats just me, Money is something you can always make more of, Time and health all the money in the world can't buy you those

Dom17, hotnail, ducnut and 7 others like this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Saving enough money is one thing. Remembering where you stashed it after yet another night of empty liquor bottle, that’s another thing entirely.

A. Barrister and Boman Forklift like this.
  10. Captain Morgan

I kind of do both, just found a 100 dollar bill stashed in my Captains license going to renew it. 1st world problems

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Very true! Sometimes I think it would have been neat to live that way. My wife’s older sister did that. Traveled the world, doesn’t have anything but clothes, and a car.

This past Christmas we took a family vacation to Costa Rica and paid for her trip to come along. That’s the hardest part of her free spirit lifestyle, she often can’t afford to do fun things.

In your case you are still able to, which is cool.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Good for you Cap'n. Don't crash into the sphinx while rumming it up. :D

13. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Congrats. Can't help w Madagascar. But I know the Med pretty good from living and serving there and have Arab fam and friends from there. Lots of great food in the region. And shitton of history and natural beauty. I could survive on the molokhia, ekmek, lamuchen, dolma and baklava for a long time. Walks around castles and ruins for therapy along with the diving.
    Decided the same @ 29 and like you, chose careers with good compensation, high demand and short staffed.
    Marine industry is full of people who work a few contracts and then vaca all over til the next boat. Also full of people with little drive who grind out 40 years around douchebags, glass, epoxy and rotating gear etc... who will not be capable of enjoying the retirement due to wrecked bodies.
    I'll never really retire but I never really worked that hard either after a few years to get a basic starting point.

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Never been to Madagascar. Hmu if you want to meetup in .ZA, rent a bike and cruise around. I'll be there around Feb 1 (dawg willing)

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the sort of life you can choose if you don't f%$ck it up by getting married and popping kids. I'm a huge advocate of what the Captain is doing. The downside being life might be empty and shallow once he gets into, say, his 60's-70's. At that point, he might have 20-30 years to think about what he missed out on, creating and nurturing a family.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Meh, he seems to be absolutely on top of his retirement planning. He won't need children.

cav115 and motion like this.
  17. Captain Morgan

If I did have kids I wouldn't couldn't live this lifestyle. I think its great to want to do better and make a life for your kids better than yours. BUT on the flip side no girl no kids, going to kiteboard, fish, dive the red sea, see some history, hopefully meet girls looking for a 1 night stand shallow relationship. I think the idea of modern western American civilization in the last 50 years sucks

18. Captain Morgan

I hear you, nothing worse than a hippie claiming money is not important until a breakfast check comes for 4 dollars, Talking to you California

Boman Forklift likes this.
  19. Captain Morgan

Depends on what you call winning for a lot of people other than me it can mean different things

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Never really crossed my mind that people pop kids for retirement funds.