1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washing Machine

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Aug 2, 2022.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

LG Front Loader. Works great. it's our second one. First one we left in the apartment and it's still going strong about 14 years later. Our current one is on year 5.

Only issue we ever had was we put a floor mat in there and the rubber disintegrated and clogged the drain hoses.

We use powder for 95% of the loads. the other 5% are my microfiber towels which get Deft or Tide Free and Clear Liquid.

No smell, mold. Leave the door open for about 20 minutes after last load, and you're golden. And since we have guinea pigs that use a mat, we clean the trap and more often than others, but no issues overall

Razr and zx6rfool like this.
  2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Well - my mother being the old German lady she is - the machines get used a lot. :D

And your post made me wonder so I called her, was actually almost three years ago she did the remodel etc.

Now shoosh Papa…

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Yeah, sometimes people do dumb things.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That was a dig at the industry in general. Planned obsolescence is a fucking crime. But thanks for bringing it back up, I caught a typo that made my sentence nonsensical.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I agree with this totally. My parents had a Maytag set they bought in ~1975 that lasted until I got married in 2000 and the only reason they got rid of it was they built their retirement home and my mom wanted new. She’s probably had replaced washer/dryer 2-3 times since then. We still hear about that first set and how she should have just kept them.

We settled on the SpeedQueen this latest round because of the 10 year warranty (used to be lifetime) and the “commercial quality”.

HPPT likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I personally do not care. She wants front, she gets front :D

sheepofblue and rd400racer like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know I can repair it. I am not going to do so.

There is no bench in the laundry room or anywhere near the laundry room. I'm not going to yank the dryer out so there is room to put it on it's side and get to things. I'm not going to haul the washer down the basement stairs to a work bench and then back up. If it gets removed from the room it is in, a new one will go in its place and I'll ignore it for another 15 or more years.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Most here have met her. The epic mistake would be ignoring her wishes. :D

Razr and rd400racer like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We're at 12 or 15 years with this one, she leaves the door cracked and never a single issue with smells.

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My grandpas advice was fuck the final price, they'll figure that shit out through capitalism.

Buy the one with the longest "all in" warranty.

I've been following that advice a LOOONG time now and it's never let me down.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

[QUOTE="RRP, post: 6008394, member: 15482"
    We settled on the SpeedQueen this latest round because of the 10 year warranty (used to be lifetime) and the “commercial quality”.[/QUOTE]

Just looked at their site, only way I'd suggest that is if I want her to have a heart attack :crackup:

Her current budget is and I quote "they're around $500"....

12. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Since your boss, like my boss, insists on front load I’d recommend a GE with the UltraFresh vent option. There is a vent on the door and it turns the drum when you’re done to dry it out. We’ve had ours for about two years and the only time it stinks is when the kids leave a load of wet towels overnight. Use these once a month or so too.

418EE49E-D890-43CD-9BB3-74ED22D84CE7.jpeg

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It does make sense that the short person who uses the machine would want a front loader.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Eff you and your common sense.

15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Just looked at their site, only way I'd suggest that is if I want her to have a heart attack :crackup:

Her current budget is and I quote "they're around $500"....[/QUOTE]

Sorry - forgot to mention they’re pricey. :D

16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yup. Bought our LG almost 14 years ago and never had a single issue until 2 years ago when the spider arm holding the drum deteriorated to a degree that it snapped.

I fixed it myself (and did some other maintenance like main-bearing replacement etc. while I had it apart) and there's no reason it won't last another 10 years. Those direct-drive motors are fantastic.

Attached Files:

BigBird likes this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Forget the appliance store then...they just opened a Dave's Appliance Warehouse here in Augusta. I think it might be a surplus or scratch and sniff kind of place. According to the website, there is one in Staham, GA which is way more closer to you. I have no personal experience with them.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Do front loaders get the dirt out the same as a top loader, with an agitator?

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think so.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nah, the drum spins on a vertical plane, not horizontal, The clothes get to the top and tumble back down. They get traction from the perimeter of the drum, not from an agitator in the center.