1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica I Superbikes at Minnesota I Brainerd International Raceway - July/29-31

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Simple, there was a bunch of Moto America teams in the Daytona 200 that someone called "traitors" using a different tire brand. This brand swept the podium and 6 of the top 10 were on the same rubber. And during the press conference the guy that finished 2nd was expressing his happy, happy thoughts about those front tires.

Because of this I would guess that the teams asked the MA tire supplier for something new. Racing is about going faster and developing new things/ways to win. So, if the bikes are being improved so should the tires, and here you go a new Japanese tire to try.

backbone and Boman Forklift like this.
  2. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I totally get it.
    I am all for it

I am interested in whole this pans our for the championship, would be awesome if that allowed Petrux to fight Gagne.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

We got an email about this tire a few months ago, but I ignored it because it was SB /STK1000 only.

Comparing specs, it seems it's 1mm wider and 5mm smaller diameter. Don't know if that will have any effect once it's mounted on a rim.

I guess they discontinued the 516 front compound? That was the softest option available, but many riders had trouble with it. The carcass was supposedly softer and it didn't rebound under hard braking, causing turn in issues. Perhaps this is a second attempt at a softer carcass?

As usual, I'll let the fast guys figure it out while I roll around on my 0129's.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Interesting. I remember we caught the very end of the front 302(?) made in the UK, I believe. It gripped really well and lasted forever.

5. Boman Forklift

What’s that saying, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

YamahaRick and stk0308 like this.
  6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Remember that different factories produce different tires even if they are the exact same spec. The biggest difference is the mixing machines and vulcanizing ovens, because no two are the same. Then the next variable is the fabric and compounds, they may come from the same or different suppliers that produce closer to said factory. And even if they shipped materials from Buffalo to Japan (very expensive to do so) the diff is the mixing machines and the ovens.

cbush and YamahaRick like this.
  7. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Is this why the UK Dunlops were so much better than the US tire of the time? I was always told that it was materials that weren't allowed in the US but allowed in Europe. Seems fishy to me.....

8. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

Nope, the KR151 H1 is a 5th front option, 516 is still there

https://www.motoamericaregistration.com/PDF/2022/brainerd/2022 SBK Allocation Brainerd.pdf

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mid Ohio has amazing amounts of traction when wet compared to a drag strip.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Gagne will get the same better tire so why would it change things?

11. Boman Forklift

That’s really very interesting insight. I could see materials being different and too expensive to ship. I would have never guessed the mixer and oven are different enough that Betty Crocker can’t fix her flat cookie problem, because of the machine she is using, versus because of the ingredients.

That’s exactly what I heard.

As a business owner, it would suck that I can no longer make the best product I’ve ever produced for the club racer. I’m assuming it still is the best Dunlop ever made and the moto2 stuff hasn’t surpassed it?

But, since it is made by a certain mixer and oven in the UK, it’s over. I have to close that factory down and rely on sub par product from my other plants for all my customers.

That would be soul crushing!!! This is also assuming the plant was closed, as that is the story I remember hearing

12. prm

prm Well-Known Member

‘Better’ can be a bit of a relative term when it comes to subtle changes in tires.

A. Barrister and YamahaRick like this.
  13. G 97

G 97 Garth

No idea but it is possible for the new tire to work better for Petrucci and the Duc than for Gagne and the Yami. Quite possibly, actually. We won’t know until the term “better” is defined by both riders.

Petrucci won’t like the track at Brainerd anyway, so it won’t matter either way. :D

Chino52405 likes this.
  14. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Stanboli said they might try them in one practice session and was very dismissive of them.

Sean bice’s wording made it sound like one team wanted these tires. And we are to assume that is ducati.

G 97 likes this.
  15. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

The forecast looks pretty good
    upload_2022-7-28_14-20-26.png

henry_carlson and 5axis like this.
  16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I still don't think it's safe to race on in the wet.

RRP and 5axis like this.
  17. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I dont know if the tire is necessarily better.
    But maybe fits the Ducati chassis characteristics better than the Yamaha?

Didnt something happen in WSBK when Pirelli changed to size of the front tire? Some bikes liked it more than others?
    Its all just speculation, just hoping to get some more competition for Jake.

Boman Forklift and Gino230 like this.
  18. G 97

G 97 Garth

It’s not. It’s like ice in the wet as well when it’s cooler.

RRP and 5axis like this.
  19. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Isn’t that what Dunlop did for Yamaha to dominate Suzuki with their new rear tire a few years ago? Not saying it was intentional or that it will happen this time, I just think tires should be the same for the whole season.

drop and 5axis like this.
  20. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Don't make me drive up to Minnesota and bust out the banner again.

[​IMG]

G 97 likes this.