1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overheating 2005 Ford Ranger 2.3L

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jul 6, 2022.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Coolant sensor located top center rear of engine, two wire connector, red-white, black-white wires.

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Is it a auto or manual trans?
    PID chart shows no ECT on a automatic but both ECT and CHT on the Manual trans trucks…
    CHT and ECT are different things.

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

This one is an automatic.

4. Boman Forklift

Update:

I ran the water and flush mixture all week. Even today with it hot and the A/C on and running 85 for a little bit on the freeway no overheating.

However today it looks like the reservoir level is down a hair. Now I’m on my sloped driveway, but it looks very slightly down. So I think I will buy that tester mentioned earlier. Is the harbor freight one ok, or should I buy from a Napa or O’Reilly?

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Any of them should work. Pressure tester will only tell you if there is a leak. Hydrocarbon tester will tell you if it is the head gasket.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I wouldn't leave the chemicals in much longer. Curious what the water will look like coming out.

7. Boman Forklift

Thank you, I agree it shouldn’t be in there too long and I probably have overdone it. However I was surprised it said to leave the flush in for 6 hous of driving, so I planned to drain it this weekend.

I just bought the block tester, (hydrocarbon tester) that is what harbor freight calls it. Will read the directions and either do it tonight or tomorrow.

8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I think pushing a Ranger to 95MPH is the cause of your issues. Have you run it that fast in the past?

9. Boman Forklift

You know that is entirely possible. In the morning, especially, I will drive at least 75-80 traffic permitting and depending on flow will hit 85 almost never much above that. I’m sure I’ve hit 90 a time or two and that was the first time I recall taking it till it was tapped. I was more testing this time to see what would happen, since I needed the data.

The earlier morning commute form Orange County up to LA, if I stay at 80 I’m passing some people, but I’m getting passed too. Once into LA the freeway gets narrower and the traffic worse so it usually slows down.

10. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I'm going with a collapsing lower hose.
    An inferior/cheap hose.

11. Boman Forklift

The hoses are new, but who knows? I was too tired last night to any tests. Hopefully later today.

12. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

It's not hard to diagnose. Engine hot, ac on, motor running...ya can visually see the lower radiator hose collapsing.

What the fuck are you up to?
    Drinking Red Breast at 2am. :)

13. Boman Forklift

No drinks. Just fell asleep early last night, I have been working so many hours lately, I came home from work early and I was going to go to the movies with mama. She went with her girlfriend because I knew I would just fall asleep in the theater. :D

About 2 miles from work now grabbing breakfast

14. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they are speed limited to around 90mph.

15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

What do you think it is, an Exige? :D

16. Boman Forklift

Sounds about right, it indicates about 95 when I drove it in this morning. You can feel it slightly cutting something. Don't hear anything like a rev
    limiter, but you just feel it.

I wish. The guy put us off a couple weeks ago and we are supposed to meet this week to do something? I've been talking with him for about 18 months and I'm still not sure he wants to sell it, even though he said he did a couple of times now? Having said that, I have the opportunity to buy up to 90 of those forklifts and buying the car at the same time could effect my loan abilities, so I'm probably going to put the brakes on the Lotus at this time. I spoke with my best friend and told him to still buy it if he wants to, as he has enough to do it alone, and he thinks he might use the Lotus money to buy a piece of land where he is originally from (Utah) and work towards building a retirement home there.

17. Boman Forklift

I forgot to address the most important part. You gave me a way to diagnose this. I've never learned this, so I will try it sometime in the next couple of days.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You must be really happy right now that home-built high-powered coffin decided to squirt fluids right when you came to pick it up.

BigBird likes this.
  19. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

The lower rad hose almost always has a coil "spring" inside it to prevent collapsing. Give it a squeeze with your hand. If you can collapse it, replace it.

20. Boman Forklift

Yep!!!!