1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire changer

Discussion in 'General' started by evakat, Jul 12, 2022.

1. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

If you have your own tire changer... what is your setup?
    Who has a "mobile" setup that they can take to the track?

2. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

We have the : Cycle Hill HD<br>Motorcycle Tire Changer-TC-CH100HD (nomartirechanger.com)
    Cycle Hill HD
    Motorcycle Tire Changer

Not going to lie, for us it is a two person operation. Took us about four tries before we became very proficient.

The main key was using this: Via Amazon
    Tire Mounting & Demounting Liquid Lubricant Tack & Bead Sealing Lube for Cars, Bikes, Trucks, ATV, Camper Wheels - Reduce Rim Sliding, Rust - Super Slick Liquid Lubrication, Leak Detector (1 Gallon)

3. Sudowoodo

Sudowoodo Error 404: Skill not found

Do 2x4s, tire irons, lower back pain, and a bucket of lube count?

969 and evakat like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

rabaconda has one... if anything its very portable

5. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I have a basic Cycle Hill (entry level Nomar) that I've used for about 4 years. Works very well, though it's a manual process and proper technique and application of lube makes a big difference in how easy it is. With a soft race tire, it takes just a few minutes to take the old one off and get the new one on - if you know what you're doing. You'll still exert some effort too.

They also have an attachment for a hitch mount, although I've never used one myself.

To add on to what Fastbykids said above, I've been using the original jar of supplied lube and still have at least half left after probably 25 changes. Agree that application is important. And while there is a learning curve to the first couple, if you watch a youtube video with good technique and practice a couple tires, it's not that bad. I do them by myself all the time.

Harder sport touring tires may be more difficult though.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I take my Pneumatic to the track when Tire Service is not there... 2 Ratchet straps on a Dolly and wheel it in the trailer when needed...

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

No-Mar Classic with the hitch mount. I have the bolt-down base, where one anchors it to a shop floor. However, the hitch mount is so convenient, I never used the base. I’ve changed hundreds of tires, with zero complaints. Steve and Sue are good people, as well.

8. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

After changing tires with levers the manual way for 3 years, I just bought a Derek Weaver Motorcycle Tire Changer. It was $1,700 delivered. It's taken me a few tires to figure out how to get the last bead on easily. Frankly, my favorite part of a pneumatic changer like this is the bead breaker. I figure I can use this changer for years, and then when I'm done with it, sell it for > $1,000.

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I got one of these simply because it takes up a lot less space in my garage than a no-mar and I don't use it much: AmazonSmile: Motorsport Products Portable Tire Changer with Bead Breaker 70-3002 : Automotive
    Add some irons, lube, and a Marc Parnes balancer on a couple of jack stands and it well enough for me. It is portable enough to easily take it with, but it is not something I would want to use frequently. I generally let the tire guys handle changes at the track. If you are going to be using it a lot and have the room in your trailer, get a no-mar with the hitch mount.

10. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I have a Coats 220, old school but works well and is built well. You have to do some creative things to not damage the wheels but that is easy enough.
    [​IMG]

11. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

May I ask...what's the best tire lube when using a pneumatic changer? I've been using a spray bottle with soapy water. I received a wand, but I'm not sure if it's meant for dipping into a liquid? I'd rather not have to spray a liquid that kind of gets everywhere.

12. TurboBlew

I wouldnt be putting lube on track tires. Really you wont even need it with proper technique.
    But if you must use some... napa sells ruglyde

13. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Worried about slipping on the rim? Has that actually been a problem people have dealt with?

Asking non-sarcastically.

14. TurboBlew

Yes. You can paint mark the rim & tire to see.

15. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Even using lube you should be avoiding the mating face of the rim and tire, but it's pretty easy to smoosh some to where you didn't intend.

I'll watch my marks more carefully in the future too.

16. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

From another thread...

Like someone else, I picked up the Harbor freight setup, and with a few upgrades it has worked flawlessly. I bought the No-mar bar and their lube.

1. I had the white inserts made from 3/4" HDPE, the material they make cutting boards from. I dropped off the measurements at a company that makes HDPE products and had them make 6 for me. 3 to use and 3 spares. It's been 3 years now and I still haven't needed to replace one. Drilled a hole and secured them in their slots with pins. Found out about mojoblocks after I made these but I'm happy with them. Edit: the guy who took my order thought it would be stronger if we left a little meat behind the lip that hooks onto the wheel, so you'll see that difference between my drawing/template (attachment link after the pics below) and the finished product. He was right.

2. I replaced the center bar that goes through the axles with a simple piece of rod stock.

3. I used a piece of the same rod stock as wheel stop. Just drilled a hole in one of the arms of the tire changer, and it stops the wheel from rotating while changing tires. Its wrapped in black gorilla tape so it doesn't mar the wheel.

4. I drilled a hole through the main stem and placed a removable pin in there to stop the MC adapter from twisting on the base. The other hole you see just above the pin is for my mount that I made for my truck hitch setup.

5. I rigged up the little bungee return to lift the bead breaker and hold it out of the way. I coated the end of the bead breaker in duct tape as well as the leg on that side so it doesn't scratch the wheels. Thought about making a plastic coating for it, but its held up fine for a few years, and I'll just replace it with some fresh layers when its time.

Edit: I have since made another mount/remount bar using some square tubing and a duckhead from a pneumatic tire changer and I like it a little more than the no-mar bar, but the no-mar bar is nice too.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    View attachment 181461 [/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    gixxerboy55 likes this.
  17. rymerc

rymerc Well-Known Member

I have a Triumph branded changer that's probably a chinese ripoff of something. It works great, doesn't scratch wheels, and is fast and easy for motorcycles. Parts are spendier than I would have thought for chinese stuff, and some of the metal is chinesium with shitty threads so you have to be careful with repairs/parts replacement.

evakat likes this.