1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overheating 2005 Ford Ranger 2.3L

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Thats actually a good idea. 3B72B84B-4896-4791-897F-0BD19138CE05.jpeg
    This is what I’m pretty sure I am getting. Lotus Exige S260. I’ve been wanting an Elise or Exige for awhile or a Porsche GT4. I can get the Exige for less money, versus a GT4. it is more rare, but has typical Lotus fragility and English build quality.

The Lotus is much less comfortable and mama probably would like the GT4 much more on date night. But from everything I have read the steering feel of the little lotus is out of this world, compared to any current Porsche.

The lotus only weighs approx 2.000 lbs, where tthe GT4 weighs 50% more at 3,000 lbs.

I’ve been talking to the guy that owns this red one, which isn’t my favorite color, for over a year to see if he may want to sell. He just got in touch with me July 4th claiming he is ready.

It looks like my best friend and I are going to partner up and buy it split 50-50. We haven’t done this before with a car, but have talked about doing something like this for a long time and have been friends since 1990.

It is hard to find all the info, but supposedly the version this guy has is the lightest because it was the only year they made some with carbon fiber in a bunch of areas. The 260 final edition which was made in orange and Isotope green, which I prefer on this car, weighs more

https://www.encycarpedia.com/us/lotus/09-exige-s-260-coupe#specs

I suspect it will be ours within the month. My wife wants me to wait until after my daughters wedding in August to see how much money is left over. I don’t want to possibly miss out now that the guy is ready to pull the trigger and sell it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    motion likes this.
  2. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been covered in the thread or not.

I have a program that I could look up and see if you give me the vin number. But the temp sensor maybe has failed, and it is possible that it sends the signal to ecm then ecm to gauge. So, if the sensor failed it would read read high on the scan toll also if it is sending the signal to ecm. If that makes sense?

lopitt85 likes this.
  3. assjuice cyrus

Sound like to me you should let daughter know, she knows has a slightly reduced wedding budget.:crackup:

4. Boman Forklift

Haha. Wife wife would chop my balls off if I tried that shit. Lolol

My daughter actually said the other day, man with all this planning I wish I had eloped. I said, I will write you a check for what we would have spent and use it for whatever you want, but I know that isn’t happening. Plus little girls dream of this, which amazingly I didn’t even realize how much they do as they are growing up. I can say as a boy, I never once thought about getting married or having a cool wedding.

5. Boman Forklift

Cool, thank you. Will report back in a minute. That would be sweet if that was it, but I doubt I’m that lucky.

1FTYR10D35PA73296

Thanks again. Where this almost makes sense, is you would think with that many overheats the motor would be toast?

My Honda Civic, I literally saw the temp light come on, it couldn’t have been on long because I was less than 5 miles from the office on my way home. Anyway by the time I moved out of the car pool some and across 5 lanes of traffic, which happened pretty quickly, I heard noise in the engine and shut it off. Got so hot the plastic from the dipstick melted.

Plus on this ranger I’m not getting any weird smells and since I fixed the coil it is running good.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  6. assjuice cyrus

Looks like there is two sensors on that and one does go to the ecm but that looks like it just tells it when to kick on the fan? Have you verified the fan is coming on when it gets hot? The other goes sends signal to the gauge.

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Oh an electric fan.....relay though I would have expected that to throw a code (might not though) Another easy check. Start it was let it idle for a bit does the fan come on. Also if you engage the A/C most turn on the fan then.

8. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

He mentioned it was while @ speed.

9. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

If no evidence of c02, and it doesn`t sound like it as you are not losing coolant, before you pull the pump, pull lower hose and add water @ upper. Should flow out quickly and completely.

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Boman Forklift and cav115 like this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Offer 10% ownership of the car to the future son-in-law if he agrees to elope and pretend it was a romantic gesture. :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. Boman Forklift

I also learned yesterday that our old daily driver, 2010 Toyota Prius with 176k miles has a bad head gasket. Per the toyota dealer it is common once they get about 130k miles,”so we did good and should be happy”. I said it’s amazing how I do more Toyota head gaskets on forklifts, versus all other brands compared, seems Toyota quality isn’t what it used to be.

They want $4500 to fix it and I said no thanks. Then they start talking about sometimes they hydro lock and bend rods and you are over 8k. I said the car isn’t worth that much so button it up and I will think about it.

Kinda interesting, I remember the old 22R toyota motors would go 500k miles without an issue. Then in the 90’s Toyota V6 engines popped head gaskets left and right and they warrantied them. Now they fine tuned their planned obsolescence and get them to pop at 130k plus and that is basically ok. With leasing now a days, the manufacturers don’t care, since most customers don’t buy and hold like us old farts were trained to do.

That Prius has been religiously maintained by my wife taking it to the independent some and mainly the dealer. The hybrid battery failed just out of warranty, so we did a split on that. It has had a water pump go out and that was over 1k. 6k miles ago they did some sensors, I could look it up but I think that was over $1k.

Anyway that Toyota seems about as reliable as a German product to me.

Will do that, but when I drained the system that is how I drained it and it came out fast and clean. Plus it is only a 5 month old radiator.

I did notice we used traditional green coolant. When I went to OReilly to buy thermostat, pressure tester, etc they suggested some G05 phosphate free stuff supposedly recommended by ford? I wasn’t there when my mechanic replaced the radiator, but OReilly said if they mixed at all it guns up the system?

I’m still thinking water pump at this point?

cav115 likes this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Thank you. I saw the fan on, but since this is happening while driving between 65-80 I don’t think the fan matters.

14. Boman Forklift

Will check that too once I work on it again probably tonight. It’s sitting at home in the garage.

15. Boman Forklift

That’s what I think too, just wanted to verify my thoughts with others that have done this before.

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

FYI...you can make jello mixing incompatible coolant products but it is fairly rare. If he flushed the block when the radiator swap happened I wouldn't be too worried about that one.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. Boman Forklift

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Hell, 50% ownership and I would still come out ahead. That wedding is going to cost more than that car. When my daughter and wife started planning the wedding, I said, well there goes the GT4 money I've been saving.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If you give him 50%, you and your friend will be minority owners. :D

Are you drawing up a partnership agreement with your friend? I would recommend that.

19. Boman Forklift

It would be my 50%, but would have to remain garaged at my home and I get driving rights still.

Thank you and yes we are planning to do that, just need to figure out how what etc.

20. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Why was the radiator replaced? If it was plugged the following could be issues

He didn't flush the whole system well enough and gunk circulated into the new rad.

The rad is clear but the cooling passages in the motor are gunked up.

Either way I would buy some of the cooling system flush chemicals and run through system before you do the new water pump