1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA is very good for vintage

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by dave3593, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

The first, and only, time I raced AHRMA was in the early years for them and after the race the head dude came by our pits and told us not to bring our bike back to their events. I didn't get the memo that we were just filler for the Team Obsolete bikes and actually was going to go for the win but broke the tranny.

We were there to race the pro-am twins race anyway so didn't really care, but they approached us, and because we were racing a Norton they wanted us in the field.

We finished top 10 against the pro twins bikes so had a good weekend

I have to say though, it's a lot different these days and with some of the racers that are on the board now I think it will continue to get better. I hope to run a race or two with them next year.

2. Norton 357

Put that hot rod motor back together and we will play. :beer:

3. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I road Friday track day and WERA Saturday/Sunday. Had a GREAT time. Just some notes:

Modern or vintage the racers are great! I usually park close to the tech area so I can hear through the speakers. This means I'm surrounded by modern racers. When people see I'm by myself (or old) people often come to help with stands and warmers when I pull in from the track. No matter which old bike I bring with me, people want to stop and look or talk.

Tom D. and Max who ride in V6HW and V5 are a hoot to hang out with. Tom passed me a time or three and gave me some excellent pointers. Thanks.

I rode with Fasttrax track days Friday for practice. In intermediate they allow passing everywhere except the inside at the apex. Obviously less restrictive than some.

When looking at past results there appear to be more vintage WERA riders down south. I'll make at least one Barber event this year for even more fun.

Even though there were only a few V7 or older bikes there, there were still people to race with since classes and practice groups are combined. As I continue to speed up with practice, I get more modern stuff to have some fun with while on a V6 or V7 bike.

4. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Another thing I did this week end was bring only one bike. Vintage bike reliability has made me want to have more than one with me. This past week end my FZR600 did not let me down. After riding a track day then two race days, for the first time I started remembering which gear I should be in and more details about the lines. Switching back and forth from a 450 lb. four stroke to a 240 lb. two stroke maybe is something I should stop doing.

britx303 likes this.
  5. TommyD

TommyD Well-Known Member

Dave if you need to get in touch with me call 585-527-9271 or email [email protected]

dave3593 likes this.
  6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yes, focusing on one bike at a time per weekend and stay on that one the whole season helps exponentially if you are just starting out. If you feel like you need a 2nd, then keep it the same model and setup as close as possible. Even jumping from an FZR400 to a FZR400/600 in a weekend throws me off a bit. Same basic geometry and suspension etc. but the extra little bit of power from the 600 makes the chassis respond differently then I start making mistakes, so I stopped that switching altogether

dave3593 likes this.
  7. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Glad you had a good time Dave.....WERA is always a blast!

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I heard stuff like that all of the time. At Daytona during the Battle of the Legends events and doing tire service they were OK, but mostly I dealt with the Daytona staff, the BMW corp. peeps and not them.

What made me say WTF was at a Grattan round when I was helping Mr. Cohee (13) and his TZ. I'm on hot pit during practice with the stopwatch and bikes are flying down the straight and then a rider slows and moves right, grabs the brakes and pulls in on pit out. Then he turns right again and heads up hot pit backwards under power and they encouraged it.:eek:

So, I'm standing there thinking WTF why didn't the rider pull in on the regular endurance pit in at the beginning of the straight? Or why didn't he continue to the regular pit in off 3? And at that point I said AHRMA and me are a no.

Norton 357 likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I just want to say thanks for being a part of WERA. I know it seems at times as if vintage is an afterthought and given the numbers we do have to pay more attention to the modern stuff but we really do like the bikes and classes and riders and appreciate those of you who do still support it.

Jeff McKinney, 418, CharlieY and 5 others like this.
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Try it on a 4 stroke and 2 stroke, it's a blast coming into a corner and realizing you're on the bike that doesn't have engine braking:D I miss the Vintage crew, it's been a couple of years. I have 3 different bikes I can throw together fairly easy, just need to get off my ass and do it.

This is the last time I tried two different bikes during the weekend. My little pit princess has grown up...getting married in a couple of months!

[​IMG]

VFR#52, Norton 357 and britx303 like this.
  11. Norton 357

Put something together for V3 and come on out. We are building the Norton back as a 750 so we can run that class

It looks like it will be spring, hopefully at RRR, before I can get back. The guy who is putting the bike together has to go back to Germany in a few weeks and can't get everything finished in time for this season.

My "baby girl" just turned 21. Holy shit! How did that happen?

rd400racer likes this.
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well, I've got an RD400, RZ350 and an SR540 currently. I'd really like to find an old Ducati to race but for the price of one I could probably fix all three of my current bikes:D

Norton 357 likes this.
  13. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I've done the 4 stroke and 2 stroke a couple of times. My Bighorn and SV were almost so different you didn't confuse the two. But I have also done a SV and RZ. That was difficult, the way you roll in the throttle is completely different and braking was completely different. The Bighorn and RZ are fairly easy to swap between, they have a similar riding style the RZ is just faster.

Norton 357 and rd400racer like this.