1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Beyond that, you can use your federal tax "refund" towards buying more.

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

yes.

3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Got it. You are betting on Red, Black, 0 and 00.
    #D - all the above

4. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I’m down with the D for sure

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Yeah, we've all seen the lipstick picture.

NTTIAWWT

A. Barrister likes this.
  6. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

I wish I could make a series of eloquent run on sentences like that.

Jedb likes this.
  7. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

that's what happens when you turn into a crazy person, you can do it, i believe in you.

also, how's them bitcoins doin today? :D

Rico888, motion and R1M370 like this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Its ugly! I went in on COIN awhile back. Clever!

9. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i thought about it at IPO, and then i thought... as more and more places dip their toes in, like banks and the like, why would you use Coinbase with all their fees? and if they have to lower fees, they got nothing else to generate money. so i abstained. nobody's perfect though. i literally said out loud i should buy $20k of ETH right when COVID kicked off and it was like $100 and i didn't and well, even if i rode it all the way out to here, which i never would have, i'd still be 12x my money. realistically, i probably would have cashed out at like $2500 on the way up, and then i wouldn't have had a mortgage. instead here we are, and i just paid my mortgage haha.

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

A good chunk of my proceeds from the house just cleared my Etrade acct... what's my move? All in on BTC? Porsh-uhh? Already set some aside for hookerz-n-blo

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Buy DJIA index fund, maybe add Nasdaq or russell 2000 as well.

Or Astra and pray their next rocket actually works 100% and then 2x or 3x your money and run.

12. Tristan

I already have a decent amount in IRA and 401K employing this (rather boring) strategy. Looking to be a little more bold here. Glad I got the really stupid stuff out of my system the last few years (BABA,JMIA,HCMC, stupid BEV stocks). Already put in several lowball limit orders on mostly "safe" stocks hoping to catch the dips over the next 60 days.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Bitcoin all the way. Three years from now, you and @cortezmachine will be comparing business jets.

14. auminer

Take all the suggestions you get here, and in 2 years compare them with WBD at 14.46 a share today.

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

In that case look at Biotech (AXSM, EXEL, REGN and others) with late stage drugs in the pipeline.
    Solar and electric car makers.
    And tech stuff.

All those areas are where stocks go 2-3x really quick.

16. Tristan

Part of my plan is to hold anything I buy for at least a year unless they really explode

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Got the quarterly statement for a mutual fund today. Down 30.32 % since the first of the year. Let's go Brandon.

18. auminer

:eek:o_O

Down 30.2% YTD is far more the fund manager's fault than anyone else's. The S&P500 is down less than 20% last Friday when I computed my own holdings (-4.93 YTD). Just goes to show that few, if any, of the ostensible "professionals" are worth a flying turd.

What do you have? One of those target date piles of dung? My wife had an old 401k with a vanguard 2025 or 2030 target fund. A fuckin drunk monkey with a damn dartboard could have outperformed that crap over the past 5 years. :mad: I was SHOCKED when I happened to open the envelope with the statement. Thankfully we're not talking about life changing sums, but I was still pretty pissed.

If you're not going to take the time and energy to educate yourself and manage your own accounts, then an S&P index fund is by far the best choice for your stock market exposure. Even your 401k should offer that as an option.

Edit: I just re-read this post and it comes across kinda dickly. I'm certainly not trying to denigrate you with it, I just get infuriated at these money "managers" making beaucoup bucks for doing such a shit job with the money entrusted to them by hardworking people such as yourself. It really makes me angry.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  19. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

@Mongo :D

Btw from a purely Apolitical perspective that is the stupidest catchphrase I’ve heard in a while. it’s extremely juvenile. say what you mean.

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

A 2025 or 2030 fund would generally be "underperforming" the S&P 500 in up times. If done properly, it also wouldn't be dropping by as much in down times. Those timelines are very close (2025 at 3 years) and pretty close (2030 - 8 years) to retirement. A decent portion of your portfolio should already be in income funds if you are retiring in the next 5 years. Planning to move your portfolio into income funds on the day you retire is what has a number of people that were going to retire this summer changing those plans (oops). The target plans may be too conservative for many, as they assume that is your entire retirement nest egg and as such must be protected vs allowed to grow and occasionally shrink.