1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2021 Vintage 7 projects

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 2Big4Bike, Oct 17, 2020.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I thought I was going to make it. Not looking like it since having to replace my vehicle when prices are ridiculously high:(:mad:

2. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

First track day in a while for the 750.
    Hope to get some pace laps and see how man and machine are...

Attached Files:

3. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Not a good outing for the 750...
    I think I pulled some residue and/or silty rust into my fuel system.
    I hope its just the filter all gummed up... but could be into carbs???
    She started nice but shortly on the track she just kept losing throttle... wide open on 1st and she would not want to pull any revs and after like 2-3 laps was out of commission.

4. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

What the heck, I'll mention my un-fancy V7MW. I switched to running it in V7MW or V6HW when the V6MW class was killed but it's OK. It's just an early FZR600. It is stock except for a pipe, shift kit and safety wires. This winter I plan on putting it on a diet and maybe carb/intake/timing tuning.

It is the only bike I have that I just put gas in then hit the start button and race. Now if I could just legally and safely put a kickstand back on it and always employ two gorillas to load/unload this lump I would feel like a factory rider (without the speed).

jrsamples and britx303 like this.
  5. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

Just a reminder to rebuild used parts for your projects no matter how good they look on the outside...this used to be brake fluid in this caliper.:eek:
    caliper.JPG

F3racer1 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  6. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

That's just a different viscosity brake syrup. Just let it sit in the sun for awhile before riding.

six6two and 2Big4Bike like this.
  7. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

My 87 Yamaha FZR750RT did great at my last practice day for 2021...
    Now to prepare for some racing in 2022...

Attached Files:

8. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I need to the same thing with mine...

evakat likes this.
  9. 2Big4Bike

Good luck to the Vintage peeps making their way to Grattan this weekend!:beer:

Unfortunately, I won't be there...shooting for August or maybe a Nelson round.:confused::confused::confused:

Regards,
    Chad

Attached Files:

mte78 likes this.
  10. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Is it just me or was the 86-87 handling just sublime. I had a friend whom had one I rode the heck out of it, that bike leaned w such confidence...back in 86-87 I was impressed....
    The 16" front was a total non issue. That's the first bike that I felt "brave"on.

dave3593 likes this.
  11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

The 86-87 was the FZ600 not the FZR. I have 3 of them I will make you a really nice package deal on.

evakat likes this.
  12. 2Big4Bike

It has been an entirely too long and frustrating journey with this project.:rolleyes:

I'm getting close...but:

Engine has one "bottle fed" heat cycle in the garage and never went over 5000 rpm (don't even know if it will run higher yet)

Trying to sort out front brake issue (brakes mysteriously built up pressure on its own to the point that I had to crack open the master cylinder)

Haven't even ridden it around the block yet.

Need to put the number plates on.

Mostly drilled...just need to wire it up.

Who knows what else will pop up?

Regards,
    Chad

Attached Files:

DUFF, britx303, Killswitch and 3 others like this.
  13. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Super sexy looking!!!

14. 2Big4Bike

I have to look good while going so slow!!!

It’s actually a “10 footer”…I’ll add stickers to cover some paint blemishes.:D

evakat likes this.
  15. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Impressive!
    Flip that damper around or get a slightly longer one, if you fall on the left you'll wipe it out as it is...
    very nice job on the build, adapting wheels, swingarm etc. looks like it should,,proper !

16. 2Big4Bike

Good call on the damper.

Regards,
    Chad

17. 2Big4Bike

I corrected the damper and reminded myself how bad I am at applying vinyl number plates...o_O

You need to be a savant or have the patience of Job...neither of which I am.:D

Regards,
    Chad

Attached Files:

britx303, ungwaha and evakat like this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Soapy water under them until they're in position and squeegee them flat and heat gun/hair dryer for the wrinkles.

2Big4Bike likes this.
  19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Fuck sake, that thing is beautiful!!

2Big4Bike likes this.
  20. 2Big4Bike

Haha...thank you!

It was a real pain in the butt taping off the lines for the different colors and rattle canning it.

I wanted it to be reminiscent of the original 1991-1992 bikes, but I flipped the colors and made the original white = black and the original black and blue = white, while leaving the green = green.

A buddy clear coated it, but it didn't turn out as good as we wanted...oh well it's a race bike and looks good from 10 feet away. :cool:

I'm chasing a fueling issue...was idling fine but has a little delay in the rpm drop when blipping the throttle. Then I shut it off and turned it back on and without touching the throttle the rpms started shooting up as if I grabbed a fistful of throttle. So, it's not safe to ride yet and I'm hoping to figure it out and test it at Grattan this weekend. :confused:

Regards,
    Chad

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    evakat and britx303 like this.