1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who knew club racing could actually look exciting?

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Jun 22, 2022.

1. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Saw this promotional ad from Dustin Coyner with CRA.. and it legitimately looks good. I think this type of promotion could really go a long way with WERA with minimal effort. Could make some promotion for each of the national/endurance rounds, Cycle Jam, GNF, etc. Would be an easy and good looking way to promote sponsors, rider registration, and hell.. even fans. If I lived in Cali, I would definitely attend one of these just based on the poster lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KneeDragger_c69, evakat, jd41 and 2 others like this.
  2. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

CRA carries a big stick in Cali. Wasn't amused at all when they deliberating ran a event last year the same weekend against WERA. Seemed kind of a douche move, but at the end of the day business is business.

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I don't know how big of a stick they carry, having only been around for about a year. I would say AFM is the most respected and attended club, although CRA is doing cool stuff, like this Laguna race and they are definitely up and coming.

I hate it when clubs schedule on top of each other too. I don't know in this situation if that was the only day available? For awhile out here, we had two good mini organizations and they started scheduling on top of each other, which hurt both clubs and the kids that wanted to race twice a month.

Dustin is very well known, for more than his "Ask a Superbike Expert" with Richard from Attack. He owns TrackDaz and also ran Friday track days back at Willow Springs when they had a motorcycle club. They had a falling out, and he was instrumental in Chuckwalla, and ran Friday track days there, but they had some kind of falling out, so he started CRA with some others.

In my experience he is a really good guy.

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I'd love to do flyers like that for wera

5. Boman Forklift

I's sure Sean and Evelyn would love it too. Even if they are only put on Facebook, Instagram, etc.

evakat and William Schneider like this.
  6. noles19

I've offered and will again

evakat, BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  7. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Do you know how many years WERA fought the double bubble and slicks in super stock? We're still on the after market master cylinder topic. Give us another 30 years to get into promotional material.

8. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

And qualifying. Or have they started doing that?

Not sure, as I had to stop racing WERA because my new bike (ZX-6R) doesn't have a steering damper, and I haven't added one, yet.

9. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother wasting any time on it. If you've seen previous posts about these type of things, you'll know why.

drop likes this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Cmon that’s a piss poor reason. :DWith the money you have spent on trucks and trailers plus racing, you could have paid someone to put it on very easily.

Hell I will help you if you still live in s. Cal and need a hand.

Greenhound386 likes this.
  11. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Dustin was instrumental in CVMA's rise to fame. He can be a dick but he's a fair dick to everyone, probably why he and Stanboli get along so well.

I ran the inaugural CRA event last year (June) and it was awesome.

Gixxerguy855 and Cooter! like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We've done the flyers, they make no difference. We've done posters and even when you can actually get shops to hang them up - still no difference. We've offered free display space for shops - nope, they don't show up. Offered free tickets for shops to give away...guess what happened?

Looks great, makes for a great online graphic on your social media, doesn't actually attract riders or fans. All of the classic promotion just doesn't work. Riders go where their friends go. The fast ones will chase money. The slower ones will too for a year or two until they realize all the purses posted don't mean a thing when you're not one of the handful of fast guys. It divides an already small pie into more slices and hurts the sport but everyone and their brother seems to think they know how to do it better - and then when they piss away too much money and realize it's not as simple as they thought they disappear leaving us ot pick up the pieces and try to rebuild yet another region. That's assuming Evelyne is willing to do it yet again.

Radio ads and billboards work for fans but the gamble is way too risky, a mediocre to bad weather forecast will put you way way deep in the hole for the event.

13. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I recall a similar response from you about 8 years ago, regarding shops not wanting to display and free tickets etc.

14. noles19

I would do them just for social media, they get riders excited and that's a good thing.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've done them for social media and my posts about the schedule being posted and pre entry being open gets as much if not more response. I do need to work on my instagram stuff more with posting schedules there.

16. noles19

Well let me know if you'd like some flyers like that to share on Instagram or Facebook. Or even some event schedules with some excitement.

G2G, yokohama1, L8RSK8R and 1 other person like this.
  17. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I've ever seen any good promotional ads from WERA?

18. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

If memory serves I use to see them in a popular speed shop in Marietta Georgia back in the day.

19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I think they used to have some stuff like that at shops...in the 90's. Probably didnt help much even then.

Sean and Ev have been doing this a minute. Maybe they could get a few more people to show up with slick ads on the facetoobs...but probably not and not worth any cost associated with it.
    9 million trackday businesses is what is slowly killing club racing. And less people in general riding bikes to convert into racers.

THe number of TD guys who say "I race" or am going to "a race" when they mean go to TD is about eleventy million.

20. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

I've done many many track days with Dustin and Track Dāz, and this year racing CRA with a few friends. We all decided to do it because it's a smaller/new series and we ain't fast enough to podium anyway;). Looks like CVMA is where the faster local peeps are and a couple headed to MA:bow:. I must say, @Circacee's comment is spot on. Dustin and GiGi put on a very professional and well run show to my noob eyes but still don't hold the caché of WERA.