1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is A New Yamaha R1 Coming For 2023?

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Jun 20, 2022.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

3. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

Have they delivered more than 100 to the states this year?

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Can attest I never saw a single one at the local Yamaha dealer.

Then again they told me every sportbike they've been able to get came off the truck and left that same day. Every one.

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

W is for white...BNG

RichB likes this.
  6. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I had to look hard to find one; all sold.

7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Hopefully its not going to have the same fate the R6 had when they released the 'race only' model ... :(

8. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Greg White mentioned on the last Greg's Garage Podcast that he's heard from pretty inside sources that there's no more inline 4cyl superbike development happening at Yamaha and that the R1 will remain the same until it's cancelled like the R6.

RichB, sharkattack, Schwiz and 2 others like this.
  9. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Good luck finding any dealer of any kind that wouldn’t pass up the chance to hype up the demand for whatever they are selling. Nothing drives a sale like the hollow threat of a tire kicker being told they might not be able to buy it later.

DucatiBomber and badmoon692008 like this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

What's that mean? Yamaha is planning to kill their entire ICE sportbike dept? going electric?

11. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Maybe special order and/or track only model like the R6 RACE?

12. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

I also heard this.... but Yamaha did just hire an ex-Ferrari engineer to help continue the development of the M1 engine. If Yamaha is putting R&D into the M1 engine, it would seem silly that it wouldn't continue to flow down to their production bikes.

13. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Well, an I4 is different than an I3 or twin or whatever else they have being worked up .... still pretty sad that the I4 bikes are being relegated like this. Nothing sounds as good as a screamer at 16,000 rpm.... even if I do like a good the sound of an unrestricted v-twin. :D

BigBird, ShadowBoxer and R1Racer99 like this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Per a MotoGP interview with him, he said they were exploring everything, when asked if Yamaha were keeping the I-4 configuration.

15. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Talk like this makes me miss my 2001 R1. It’s one of my previous bikes I really wish I still had.
    99E766D3-834A-4E4D-A0EF-508E8B6F7DED.jpeg

GM GIXXER, Steeltoe, evakat and 4 others like this.
  16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Just sold my 2000 R1 last year. I don't miss it....yet. It was just too much on the street and I wasn't riding it as a result. It was purty though, all in red and black. IMG_2692.JPG

17. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Had fun with my 2001, could wheelie it for miles.

Screenshot_20220622-080858_Gallery.jpg

sharkattack likes this.
  18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I was an idiot for not buying that at the time. Seems like I had just bought something the week before you put it up for sale.

Right about 2001 I went to the Yamaha dealer to buy the RWB R1, and all they had was blue. Didn't want the blue so said fuck it and bought a RWB 929RR. Boring bike. Kick myself in the ass every time I see either color version of the 1st Gen R1 for sale because color doesn't matter now.

ducnut, evakat and sharkattack like this.
  19. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I'd love to get another one sometime. It was smooth as silk, yet could be a real beast to ride. Sounds contradictory, but if you've ridden that gen R1, you know what I mean. It was such an easy bike to get into trouble on. I loved how one of the Brit bike mags described it. I'm paraphrasing, but of the power delivery, they said "it gives you the same look on your face you'd have if you're wife whipped out a strap on mid-session!"

rd400racer and cav115 like this.
  20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Had one... it was a beast.

sharkattack likes this.