1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top Gun Maverick.

Discussion in 'General' started by cortezmachine, May 28, 2022.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Asshole!

auminer likes this.
  2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Shut it, Riff-Raff!

3. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

I remember randy mamomollia,? apologizing for the spelling a 2 up at laguna! with him on back of bike In . 06..... seen him and seemed ok....kentucky kid!!won that at Laguna.......was amazing!!

4. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I once caught a double feature: Firesign Theater's Martian Space Party and Reefer Madness.

beac83 and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  5. Johnny B

Lenny probably heard everyone going apeshit about him coming and wasn't going to react. Think Ted Goddard at Loudon.
    First thing, if you got hit by boneheaded moves, something should have been done about it. Again, he was immediately given a National license just because he was Tom Cruise. And he started taking people out right away. Don't tell me you wouldn't have been really pissed if you got taken out by a rookie who shouldn't have been out there.
    I haven't experienced that. In addition to all the bike orgs I work with, I've worked for VSCCA, VRG, NEMS, Legends, and 24 Hours of Lemons. If anything the bikes are snobs towards the cars and the cars are friendly to the bikes

6. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Maybe that’s because they know we’re better than them

[​IMG]

Gino230 likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Vanishing Point, Mash, and Catch 22 were making the rounds in that era.

8. Paddy O

Paddy O Well-Known Member

Driving standards have gone way down in SCCA the last 10-15 years, lots of crashing by people with too much money and ego. These days in some classes more than half of laps in a given weekend are lost to red flags and FCY conditions as cars are towed in. In the late 1980's when TC raced it was much cleaner and his crashing stood out. Paul Newman was a very clean driver and rarely crashed after his learning years. In 30 years of competitive SCCA open wheel racing, I had three crashes where I hit something, spins don't count. Consensus was that Tom was driving way over his head because the media was always watching closely. Newman had media attention too but he did not care, Tom did.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

It’s nothing to do with talent. It’s everything to do with taking selfies and missing brake markers.

Paddy O likes this.
  10. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

Monty Python & The Holy Grail :bow:

Gino230, YamahaRick and R Acree like this.
  11. Johnny B

Is that why VRG broke away from VSCCA?

Another celebrity story. Bette French (Second Ops Director at NHIS) was working as a Pit Steward at an SCCA event. She spotted a short blond person in an age restricted area of pit row. She walked up behind him, tapped on the shoulder and said, "Excuse me young man, you're not old enough to be here."
    The kid turned around to look at her. It was Paul Williams.
    (He's shorter than Tom Cruise. :D )

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  12. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I think this is an insult to Grindr.

13. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Great movie for sure….the tie ins to the the original were classy.

Oddly enough, the office scene with maverick and ice was my favorite part of the movie. The “letting go” scenario is real life shit.

BigBird, Rebel635 and gixer1100 like this.
  14. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

Great flic! Well played. Worth seeing again.

15. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

“I don’t know how” I’m sure resonated with a lot of people who are holding onto things from the past.

16. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Looks like paramount screwed the pooch and will be paying out a lot of $ and the movies distribution may be halted as they no longer had rights to the story.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/top-gun-heirs-sue-paramount-221146492.html

Looks like they are not just after $ too since they want to stop distribution and block all sequels.
    Also looks like Paramount messed up and knows it.

17. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Did you and I read the same article you posted? Asking for profits and cease and desist in a lawsuit is a far cry from it actually happening.

Secondly, the ORIGINAL article IP reverted back to them in 2020. I’d argue that the second top gun is based on the first one, not on the article. Since they bought rights to produce the first one, any new work is now based on the first one they made.

Clearly a money grab. Pretty shitty one at that.

code3ryder likes this.
  18. dasrider

dasrider 99 problems

Went and watched it over the weekend. That was a damn good movie, really entertaining. Tom Cruise might be an odd duck in real life, but just set that aside for 90 minutes and enjoy the movie. And yes, Jennifer Connelly has absolutely aged well.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone watched it in RPX? I'm going to be in ATL solo for a couple of days for bidness and figured this'll be a good way to spend an evening.

BigBird likes this.
  19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Saw Dr strange at a rpx theater it was pretty damn cool

20. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Have a business trip end of the week and not much going on so I'm going to see it again.

BigBird likes this.