1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY - wheel alignment?

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Need to DIY the alignment on my FFR Cobra project in the garage. I want to get it in the ballpark, or perhaps even to its final stage.

So I cad do strings and jack stands to do basic wheel alignment, but what is the best value to cost way to set Caster & Camber?

Any tips, or thoughts on this?

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

No tips provided until pics are posted.

[​IMG]

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Not sure if FB images will link, but here it is. With 430hp, and 2,400# weight I am mildly concerned ))

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    BigBird, iagsxr and Sabre699 like this.
  5. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

6. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I have little digital level I use with straight edge to do camber between track and street. I have camber plates so it makes it easy to just push in/out.
    Caster just max out :)
    Toe you can do with long straight edges.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

My phone has a protractor app that's as accurate as the calibrated digital protractors I use at work. That would easily work for camber, castor could be done as well if you watch videos on using the "race car" ones on youtube.

8. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I didn't see this one coming. going to give that a go.

9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Doesn't it require the use of a standard 2x4?

BigBird, Ducati89 and Sabre699 like this.
  10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Like anyone can afford lumber these days. What were you thinking?
    :D

BigBird and Sabre699 like this.
  11. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Does FFR offer advice on this? Without intending to be snarky here, getting all four corners of their kit pointed in the right directions seems pretty basic to the building process, and is something every single builder has to do.

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

String is nice...bring a framing square.

13. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

Let me hit up Shervin Motorsports....

Knotcher and pickled egg like this.
  14. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

^^^ This. If you're handy and understand what you're doing it wouldn't necessarily ever have to see an alignment rack.

Even if you set the chassis to the ride heights you intend to run the alignment will change minutely as you finish the car and add weight. Get it as good as you can as the car sits now knowing you may have to tweak it a bit when it's complete.

BigBird likes this.
  15. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

D0 you just need a static alignment? Then an angle finder, strings, and a tape measure are all you need to be absolutely perfect. It's an easy enough that theres lots of decent overviews on the You Tubes you can follow.

Or are you planning to race (or make the suspension yourself) and need to check sweeps? Then, the real key is understanding the process. You need to be comfortable with slightly more than just the definition of whats what. More about how one thing affects the other. I'm staggered (PUUUNNNN!) at how bad some of the 'kits' are:(

16. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

+1 for the Tenhulzen kit
    I recently used it on 2 vehicles with great results
    Very easy to use

17. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Alex - Were there any particular reasons you chose a Factory Five over any of the others that are out there?
    My brother built one years ago, an Everett-Morrison if I remember the name right. Brutally fast and fun, his had a 427 and a 5 speed.

18. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Actually I think it was a 429 from an old T-bird. Only parts used were block, crank, caps and heads.

19. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Thanks for all the feedback. Used strings to get the car in the ballpark.

FFR was recommended by a couple of friends who are into auto stuff. Their customer support is fantastic, as well as support on 3rd party forums. Although I cant compare, but the kit itself is well thought through, and had gone through multiple revisions.

Buying a wrecked 5.0 Mustang on Copart significantly reduced the cost of admission. Overall it is a pricy project, so its best not to add all the receipts.

BigBird likes this.