1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any EZ Go Master Mechanics Robin Engine Here?

Discussion in 'General' started by FastByKids, Apr 17, 2022.

1. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Have you ever heard the term of biting off more than you can chew?:mad:

Started my first EZ go kart project, 98ish TXT (I think). It’s a bit beat up runs but had a huge oil leak. The engine compartment and engine was completely baked in sludge / oil / dirt.

I decided to remove the engine and power wash everything. Unfortunately I couldn’t tell where the oil was coming from. So I decided to replace all oil seals, bearing cover gasket, head gasket.

We downloaded the manual and made sure that the timing marks were aligned and adjusted valves.

Now begins my nightmare. Weak spark.
    Thought process I possible damaged something electrical power washing.
    Items I replaced:
    1. Pickup Pulsar
    2. Voltage regulator
    3. CDI
    4. Ignition coil with plug wires
    5. Plugs

Steps taken:
    1. Sanded / cleaned all grounding points
    2. Used my truck battery to jump to current battery.
    3. 11v confirmed at ignition coil control wires

I’m absolutely stumped. Thought I was moderately mechanical/ electrically inclined but this project is whooping me.
    Open to suggestions.
    [​IMG]

=AZU1tkj_AE5v4g0J6Tlh_cnmzbNC3-dzkAAN75WnkV-kZ2SDM7zvkdWzuFHpn2yBzACAoQEhzs5cf0g7ptBa9C0zDD0l_ppLg6yZxHGdyHKacnf61sPg83nFb9vfGQwBfBgtPLX6FoUotzBOQ2X_7GLy6T0EhWprcS2fJpzbReO5LlTP8GmpK0oUoBkYmN7XAyQ&__tn__=EH-R']

2. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

How are you deciding it has a weak spark? Does the plug have a visible spark at all using the plug? If it does that's not likely your problem, a spark plug spark only works well when there is air pressure in the cylinder. It will look very weak/small outside the engine.

malamute likes this.
  3. FastByKids

"Using a spark plug that is known to be good, place on a grounded engine surface (muffler, cylinder etc), connect the spark plug wire and turn over the engine with starter. Look for a blue electrical arc at the spark plug electrode."

Per the EZGO Textron manual. No visible spark when performing this task.

Are you a master mechanic of robin engines?

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

That sounds like a guy that once told me "well I'm an ASE Certified mechanic", while I was troubleshooting a friends car....

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. FastByKids

^Not following your point. Do have anything viable to add to the issue or just well—- you know…

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

You new here?

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. malamute

malamute ARRA racer

Squirt some fuel in the carb to see if it "coughs". You may want look at the cylinder for vertical scratches. "huge oil leaks" may have allowed it to overheat and leave deep scratches, lower compression, and not fire. For small engines, weak spark is still spark.

FastByKids likes this.
  8. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I have no idea.. but is there a pickup on the flywheel anywhere that may have came off? Thus nothing to trigger the ignition? Had it happen on powersports engines in the past.

FastByKids likes this.
  9. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

So, you had a running engine with a presumed oil leak, and now you have a non-running engine, that may or may not leak oil. Also, it may have a weak spark, or no spark at all, based on your own posts. I'd have just power-washed the engine in place first to find the leak, but that's just me. I'd go back to the service manual, find the wiring diagram, and make sure all the wires go where they are supposed to. And then, find the diagnostic tree in the service manual, and start there. Fuel/Spark/Compression. I see a yellow wire that has a stripped end that isn't connected to anything in your picture. Where does that go? Replacing parts willy-nilly is no way to try to diagnose something.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. FastByKids

Please define "presumed".

That is a fact.

You obviously have not work on these karts. They shoe horned these engines in and power washing a engine that was in this state would be impossible. Exhaust Manifold, Air intake, fan shroud, clutch, timing belt cover are all in the way.

That is exactly what we did. Hence why I was asking for help from a professional whom made a living repairing these engines.

You have removed all doubt that you have not worked on these engines.

Via Troubleshooting tree:
    Step 3 says replace spark plugs
    Step 5 states to literally to slave in coil with know good unit
    Step 5 says to slave in a ignitor with know good unit

The only thing not replaced is the starting relay which checks out good.

Soooo, you just made a bunch of assumptions and placed yourself in a thread about a subject you know NOTHING about. The subject line was on purpose so that y0ur type of reply would not be had. The "Willy-Nilly" parts replacement was straight from the manual. However I am disappointed they don't give more detailed ohm measurements and voltage readings to troubleshoot the parts more accurately.

Another source whom has actually worked on the engine stated that parts are no longer made by EZ GO and that many purchased items via Amazon are bad straight out of the box. After careful consideration I think the new Pulser Coil is defective. I'll start again tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. FastByKids

Yes, I think this is my issue. I think I have a out of the box failure on the one I replaced. I'll be headed to the local Cart shop at lunch to purchase and avoid the Amazon Chinese parts trap!

12. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

I am the plant manager for the fabrication side of EZ-GO. The Robin engines have been discontinued since early 2000's.

Mr Golf Cart is one of the companies who still services the old Robin engines. He may be a good source to get you parts...

https://www.mrgolfcarts.com/

What voltage are you getting from the battery?

FastByKids likes this.
  13. FastByKids

A bit over 12v. Just to eliminate the battery I jumped it with my truck, jumper cables in parallel which should of supplied plenty of amps / voltage to the system. Included video of the control voltage behavior at the solenoid.

Are you in Augusta? In another life, I use to be the Bystronic Field Engineer whom would service your laser machines!

14. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Doesn’t matter what engine it is. Stop obsessing over looking for a “professional” that knows these engines. Lol 99% went to clubs that had high school kids maintaining them.

fuel/Air/spark. see which you’re missing. Weak spark is still spark.

also pull the plug cap off and confirm it’s not a bad plug cap as I’ve seen that a lot on small engines. You can ohm the cap as well to test it.

G 97 and badmoon692008 like this.
  15. FastByKids

And that is the exact mindset that got me in trouble! :p
    My son and I said, how much different can it be from our horizontal mini engines...
    Mechanically the engine is very simple.
    However, this ignition system works off of voodoo. I never seen a setup like this. Plus a complete lack of knowledge from the world on how to troubleshoot components. Seems like a "Swap-Tronic" approach is taken even from the factory manual.

Has no spark, I've said this over and over...

Done and checks good. Even replaced the plug wires for peace of mind.

16. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

Yes sir I am in the CSRA. The Bystronic lasers have still needed some love here recently... One of the field engineers was here last week actually.

Did you not have spark before you replaced all of these items? Or was it after you swapped all these parts?
    1. Pickup Pulsar
    2. Voltage regulator
    3. CDI
    4. Ignition coil with plug wires
    5. Plugs

17. Robby-Bobby

Sorry I could have sworn I read you state it has “weak spark”

my apologies.

beechkingd and condon66 like this.
  18. Robby-Bobby

Make sure it doesn’t have a safety switch as well where the brake has to be applied to allow it to start.

Think of kickstand or clutch safety switch on a bike.

It’s not rocket science. Lol when you wannna have a good time I’ll let you come tinker with Marelli shit.

19. FastByKids

As you can see in the pictures of how bad the engine was coated in oil.

But amazingly the cart started and ran. It was just a ugly mess and we couldn't determine where the oil was coming from. So we pulled the engine, did a deep clean and decided to replace all components that could leak oil. We think the oil seal from the fan shaft failed and the rotation of the fan helped saturate everything.

After we installed the engine we couldn't get it to start. Pulled the plug and placed it on metal to see if we could get spark. No spark.

My first thought was when we power washed the pickup pulsar was damaged.
    We purchased off of Amazon and replaced and still had no spark.
    Then we replaced with new plugs---no spark.
    Replaced coil with new wires--no spark.
    Replaced Voltage regulator--no spark.
    Replaced CDI--no spark.

I'm going to pick up a new pickup pulsar from the local dealer and start over this evening.

This thing has kicked me square in the nutz and has humbled us greatly.

20. FastByKids

Yup I did, my typo. Sorry

No spark when I put the plug to ground per service manual.

Before finding the service manual troubleshooting guide I used a actual spark tester inline with the system. The light dimly/quickly flickers when the gas pedal is pressed but then stays off. Another reason why I'm leaning towards the Pulser Coil.