1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best starter bike class and machinery

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I am gonna guess, and this is my opinion, that riders on twins maybe get a false sense of security being able to stab the throttle on a twin and be relatively ok. Where a 600 or more hp will let you know when to come back to orbit.

Senna likes this.
  2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I could definitely see that with the 400s and some twins but this new age of twins not as likely

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Having high-sided my SV650 (77hp) and knowing others have done so as well on their SVs, I can assure you that throttle control is required on a lightweight twin. Not as much as it was on my R1, but it is still required. On a grippy track with no elevation changes or off camber corners and with a fresh soft race slick every couple of sessions then maybe you can just whack it wide open. I do not recommend that procedure for NJMP Lightning turn 5 unless you want to test your safety gear.

4. Robby-Bobby

Im fairly up to date on running mildly fast on a twin, especially with a nice fat Dunlop on the rear. I mean I have high sided a crf100 so of course there are variables.

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

That's nothing, I high sided a production class GS500E.

6. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

when you say twins, are you thinking a 2nd gen SV, R7, or Aprilla 660? the hp discussions on an older 600 are very similar on those new Aprilla's.

that being said, if your plan is to have the kid go in Jr Cup, why not have him learn on that bike?

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Midly fast, lol. You could kick my SV riding ass on a Ninja 300.

8. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Hayes comes in, drops a statement then ghosts everyone. :crackup:

I'm thinking there are different handing characteristics from a KTM 390 vs R3 vs Ninja 400. One of the kids Hayes is coaching has been on a 400 and will be going to Europe for the R3 cup. I'm only assuming that some very bad habits developed on the Kawi had to be coached out to get maximum performance on the R3.

After looking at some vids from the GNF my kids would would pull away the whole track with very good corner speed except turns 10-11-12-13 where their bikes had a hard tuning changing directions quickly compared to the 390 and R3.

I think we seen this same phenomena with the KTM in MotoA last year with Scott killing on the brakes / tight corners and slightly loosing on the HP in the straights.

But I might be wrong. I'm only assuming...

9. Robby-Bobby

I am talking we bought a Yamaha 700twin. If he gets to "that" level we will start him in Twins Cup AFTER going through the WERA channels.

10. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

should have seen him on a 750 last weekend. kid was moving!

FastByKids likes this.
  11. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Hey RB,
    I rented a CRF100 to race on a paved go-kart track later this month. It is equipped w/ Kenda(?) street tires.
    I have raced WERA/CCS in the past. I am brand new to the minibike race thing. I haven't been on a mini bike or dirt bike in decades. What can I expect? Is there anything I should know in advance, or bring with me?
    TY

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  12. Robby-Bobby

Nope, just have fun. You're gonna have a blast and prepare to probably wreck. Again, all fun. LOL

SpeedyE and TurboBlew like this.
  13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

heres what to expect with yours truely @Robby-Bobby

14. SpeedyE

Heck ya! :Putter: Thnak you Brother :beer:

15. SpeedyE

:crackup::crackup::crackup: OMG! :crackup::crackup::crackup: "You Jumped a kid?!?!" :crackup::crackup::crackup: :blart::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Edit: :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Looks like he ran over a few to me.

SpeedyE likes this.
  17. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Honestly I think it's because those bikes are so slow that it's hard to teach someone how to use the brakes correctly.

Not knocking the 400's, I've seen some incredible things done on them.

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I think Blake Davis lost his front tooth that day & Herrin deciding to implement qualifying cutoffs for the slower riders.
    The kid that got highsided at the start by Chris Evans is Damien Jigalov

19. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I went from racing dirt bikes age 6-14 then taking a break from riding to a 2004 636 at age 16 and my first time ever on a street bike besides going up and down the drive way was the ed bargy race school at lil tally. Did the Race school, then I did a barber track day, then the third time on the track was my first WERA weekend ever.

I ended up racing a sv1000 and the 636 the same weekend and looking back I should have only focused on the 600 but the sv was a lot of fun.

Looks like it's a little late but someone that has experience riding will do fine on a 600 IMO

20. Robby-Bobby

Lol that’s mostly me in that video.

I still get sore watching that. The most painful fun I’ve ever had. Like 30 bike grids!

TurboBlew and SpeedyE like this.