1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personal phone use while on the clock.

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Feb 10, 2022.

1. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

That's a hot delicate topic.

Last company we had operators operating dangerous production machines. The machines were evolved enough not to injury anyone however when a safety fault occurred (light curtain, pressure mat, etc) it would really slow down the process. Each machine was expected to make "X" amount of product per hour.

You could guess what was the #1 cause of not meeting numbers...

The bathroom thing was also a huge issue. We looked into ways of diminishing a cell phone signal however it became a HR issue.

Unfortunately because the world changed, we had to put up with it because they had a hard time hiring ANYONE vs the government bucks.

Another issue we had to tolerate was chemical abuse. Whatever those pens are and smoking was so prevalent. You knew people were so baked however nothing could be done.

As a plant manufacturing engineer I had to install cameras (theft), key card readers and locks (jaded boyfriends upset entering property), break bells (get people to from on time). I would go into work at 5a and have a line five deep waiting to talk to me. Mostly HR issues. ("Becky disappeared and come to find out she had two guys in the bathroom for 45 minutes" can we review cameras) (Jerald got sugar put in his tank last night), (Machine 5 was only 25% efficient).

I put so much blood sweat and tears into that company. But it just wasn't worth my sanity and sobriety to tolerate.

I truly feel for all you you who own businesses or in production management.

cav115, bigtime and YamahaRick like this.
  2. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

Welcome to the new age where we removed accountability from school and respect for others in society.

3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

If it's a periodic check or issues that a parent/functioning adult have to handle, I don't make an issue of it. BUT, if it interferes with productivity, safety, etc...then I have a problem with it. I see it not much different than cigarette smokers always taking a smoke break.

But I'm also not an owner of a company that's paying folks a portion of my potential profits. Maybe if I were in your shoes my opinion would be different?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I would be nice about it until it was time to not be nice.
    If one is waiting on an important call its not hard to communicate that.

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Got any pics of Becky? Asking for a friend.

Bruce, backho and kangasj like this.
  6. FastByKids

Working 3rd shift at 16-18 an hour you can imagine the type of talent. No sir, I would not wish that on you...

SuddenBraking likes this.
  7. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Those responsible for the sacking of those who were sacked ... don't get sacked. :D :D :D

CR750 and TurboBlew like this.
  8. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Hell we got guys at work that LIVE on their phones. Used to have a policy, but only enforced against the people who were not the asskissers.

9. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

One guy I know of started sending dick pics to his staff whenever he noticed them on the phone. It helped right up until he lost his job.

badmoon692008, E Reed and 27 like this.
  10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

He got fired for this? That's harsh.

upload_2022-2-10_19-38-22.jpeg

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Should have clarified but he is an hourly employee.

No time cards, take a break and lunch around this time.

12. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I'm sittin on my forklift in the middle of shop floor reading the beeb.

Laz, Knotcher, 418 and 12 others like this.
  13. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

"How do we know when it's time to not be nice?"

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I said you need to chill out on the phone deal, it's becoming all the time. You can't be on the phone during work.

Probably said you can't be finger fuckin your phone all day.

Yep, shitty Boss.

Last Friday I took all the scrap metal to the recycling place and came back and handed an even split of the cash to them ($140) and said have a good weekend.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

So why'd you type "lit him up" and "went off"? Are you trying to make the beeb think you are a hardass and treat your employees poorly? Or are you now trying to diminish your unprofessional behavior because someone called you out? You are the one that asked and I said "may be a shitty boss".

Oh, so last Friday you were cool but other days you were unprofessional? Being nice one day doesn't give you any justification to be shitty on other days. I hate it when people say this crap like it means anything. Adding this anecdote to this convo is another red flag.

418, badmoon692008, Blammo and 2 others like this.
  16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

You sound like a cunt who doesn't want to be held accountable for their actions and just tries to deflect.

On your phone at work now?

Sabre699 and kangasj like this.
  17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

My approach to the situation doesn't change the fact that the employee is stealing time.

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It's way easier with employees who are on piece rate/commission backed up by hourly rate. When we went from straight hourly to 22% with a bump to 23% after a year, production increased dramatically. Very few employees don't hit their numbers over the course of any given day, which is good from my perspective, since it's the lowest slice of the revenue pie that I can pay them; and it's good from their perspective as they are making more per hour. I've got a guy consistently pulling $26 an hour picking up dog doo. He doesn't eff around on his phone much.

Makes budgeting much easier, too.

Spooner, kangasj and YamahaRick like this.
  19. FastByKids

So much smarter!

That company I was at had a 70/30 business model. Meaning 70% temp/seasonal and 30% full time. We were paid very nicely (full time) but the stress was absolutely devastating. With the way the job market is now, it's a recipe for failure.

20. 27

27 Well-Known Member

:crackup::crackup: Love it! We have cunts now this week too!

that makes Fuck offs, fuck yous, twats, perverts, and the best one cunts! I love this place... we could use a few more and I’ll post a thread about them and have a contest to use them all in the best sentence right @pickled egg ?!?

cav115, kangasj and Rebel635 like this.