1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey, it's some day, maybe Friday! What ya listening to? Screw you IYC.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Jul 29, 2011.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

understand completely but the days of the small shows and great mosh pits are long gone... no regrets from any tool shows of any size

2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I'm definitely not sure he sits at the back of the stage out of humility, I think it's just his twisted way of bringing attention to himself. Why would he wear costumes otherwise ?
    I disagree that they continually improved. Although I enjoyed Fear Inoculum, I thought they stagnated in their evolution and the whole thing sounded formulaic, almost copy/paste from their previous effort. Still good stuff, but after 13 years of waiting, I expected more progression in their sound.

27 likes this.
  3. 27

27 Well-Known Member

not sure... seems the theatrics have subsided... we’ll never know why...

I feel it was an expansion of some patterns that were held back previously to attain shorter songs... Danny has gotten even better which is incredible in itself.

before FI my favorite song was and still is Right in Two from 10k days, and I feel each album got better... FI is full of some of their best work and if it’s the last I’m ok with that and satisfied....

talk about lyrics... I know it’s common but I really like Rush musically, one of my old band mates is a fanatic, I can’t get into album listening because of Geddys voice... at least he’s the bass man too...

4. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Blodwyn Pig - Still sounds good decades later.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

[​IMG]

27 and L8RSK8R like this.
  6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

man... now you have me wanting music with the lyrics removed...

jimmy Chamberlin is my second fav drummer and I hate Billy Corgins voice more than any in music probably, but I suffer through just to hear the drums. Like on tracks like “Stand Inside your love” it’s incredible... proof that finding your musical mates is rarely easy.

I’m also unfortunate in the fact that I hate the sounds of nearly all horn instruments, so all the jazz bands the great drummers have I can’t even listen to. Strings played with a bow is my favorite sound musically.

I discussed it with Knotcher and think that the level of connection and higher conscienceness is obtained when musicians really click.

7. ton

ton Arf!

Chamberlin is high on my list of drummers, too. Though I liked the first two pumpkins records despite Billy’s voice. The heavy songs work, but the ballads hurt me.

as for horns and jazz… this is why dog created the great trios. Ray Brown’s, Oscar Peterson’s, and Pat Metheny’s trio incarnations are just fantastic. And Roy Haynes… damn.

8. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Or quartets, as the case may be.
    [​IMG]

(But I love horns, which is why, in addition to jazz, I love old Skatelites, too.)

motoboy likes this.
  9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Joe Pass.
    He was a regular player at Elarios just 1/2 mile from me.
    Never once went to see him.
    Phenomenal .musician.

2blueYam likes this.
  10. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I’m sure I’ve brought it up but Chamberlin and Carry have Jazz bands they keep their chops in all these years... SP Gish and Siamese Dream were good and half the rest... of Jimmys drumming the song is good, if Corgins whining with a drum machine it sucks... I don’t even know how I rank Iha and Corgins guitar tracks, Darcy’s base is just bla... but the damn drums make me suffer through the rest...

So some jazz is without tingey sounding horns? Trumpets and bugles especially hurt me, even certain notes on saxs do too. It’s something about the way the sound waves come off the metal I’m sure... it just hurts my ears... they’re all messed up anyway, some cymbals will do it too...

11. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

He overcame a very serious heroin habit that had him in jail for protracted periods and strung out others. I was lucky to see him with his trio at Yoshi's, circa 1984.

12. ton

ton Arf!

Plenty of my favorite jazz has no horns whatsoever. Piano, bass, drums, guitar

try:
    Ray Brown Trio-Summer Wind
    Pat Metheny-Bright Size Life
    Metheny Holland Haynes-Question and Answer
    Keith Jarrett with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette-Any of those records
    Jack Dejohnette with John Patitucci and Danilo Perez
    And there’s a series of great reccords with Charlie Haden on bass and various other players called the Montreal tapes.
    Bill Evans trio in almost all its incarnations, but particularly with Scott LaFaro on bass and Paul Motion drums.
    And Oscar. Just all of it

2blueYam likes this.
  13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

thanks Ton!

I’m obviously not well informed of the style and can only think of New Orleans style... I’ve spent a bit of time in Paris and they all had horns too.

I’ll check those out... I love pianos only second to Violins/Violas on my list of fav instrument sounds...

14. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

its a 90's R&B kinda day...

Ashanti
    Mary J.
    Mario Winans
    Aaliyah
    Blackstreet
    Donnell Jones
    Gina Thompson
    Musiq

15. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Anna Netrebko's Iolanta

Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath

16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Jason Isbell has been getting the nod over the last few months. Really great live shows too.

17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Thanks to @ton i just listened to Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream all the way through...

it is even better than I remembered... forgot about all of the strings.... and the drums... man....

I saw them at the Metro in Chicago before they moved to barely bigger places... right after SD came out saw them at a horse barn at the Indy fairgrounds... Corgin already had his chip on his shoulder... last time they headlined Lalapalooza and it was more bitching than rocking it seemed... horrible that personal experiences can jade your views for years...

I’ll try to ignore the artist and focus on the music as I’m sure most are asses anyway...

18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

A buddy and I walked straight out of a Nine Inch Nails concert for this very reason. I don't give two shits about an artists political views, even if they align with mine, until it interrupts my experience. You wanna bitch and complain in interviews, perfect. Keep your opinions to yourself during show time. Even if the songs are opinionated, leave the soapbox on the bus.

Shut up, and sing! :crackup:

27 likes this.
  19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I saw NIN for the Downward Spiral tour at a smaller venue that kicked ass! No mention of anything, just rocking!

completely agree, you’re at the show to hear/see music performed, besides maybe a hello, then a thanks for coming, I don’t want to hear anything besides music...

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

In that case, I recommend EggFoo and 27 avoid Christian contemporary and benefit concerts.