1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you pay the heated seats bill?

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 22, 2021.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh I’m sure it will get even better. By-the-minute charges for using features, plus the inevitable environmental impact fee, franchise fees, infrastructure fees and let’s not forget local, state and federal taxes.

Now get on the bus like a good sheep!

TurboBlew and Ducati89 like this.
  2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Time for me to start building an old squarebody with cummins swap and biodiesel plant.....while my wife drives a new Toyota hybrid with subscription shit because she doesn't care and her ass and hands must be warm at all times, no matter the price lol.

27 and Knotcher like this.
  3. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Yes and no. That’s the objective, but ultimately it’s not going to pan out. Our social system is destabilizing and will collapse, the tech dystopia they want to impose might happen for a time but it’s not going to persist. Hang on to your old cars that don’t charge you to fart into the seat fabric, and ammo.

27 and kangasj like this.
  4. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I’m building a 2wd d350 gen1 Cummins dually super single conversion on drop spindles. Regular cab. Lightly upgraded powertrain. 5sp manny.

in my head.

evakat likes this.
  5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I've been keeping my eye out for a decent quad cab squarebody chev for a few years. I'd rather put 20-30k into building that truck than buying another new one, or one a few years old. I will never daily drive a truck again, so I don't need something new and fancy. Just something to haul a camper, and equipment around, and just do truck stuff. I missed one back in October that would have been a good base to build on.

BigBird likes this.
  6. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

7. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

My 07 Cummins looks better every time I come back to this thread.

Montoya, pickled egg and cav115 like this.
  8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I would think the "best" model to own would the most recent model where the features aren't dependent on paying a subscription fee.

I've got a 2020, but insofar as I know they can't decide in XX years to start charging me for options that came with my car when I bought it. Now, if there's a software update and all of a sudden there's some new technology that I want to add to my car via subscription, then they can obviously charge me for that.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yep.

Put a remote starter in my ‘09 fucking Honda. Doesn’t tattle on me if I cross the fog line while posting comments on the beeb, and I don’t have to worry about my car being disabled because I opted out of sharing my French fries that time I drove through the McDonald’s drive thru.

Rebel635, BigBird and Ducati89 like this.
  10. Ducati89

Soooo...if they're shutting off features of the car you paid for, is Subaru and Kia going to refund buyers?

I love people buying into something that can control them and then bitch when it actually happens.

pickled egg and BigBird like this.
  11. Making this new shit retroactive and charging people for shit they already paid for is complete horseshit.

If someone buys a new car, and the options work like that (subscription), so be it. They made a conscious and educated decision to purchase the vehicle knowing that.

But to go back and start charging a subscription for options on a car that is already purchased, that’s fucked up.

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

13. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Underground vehicle module tuning is already picking up steam. Look at all the BMW guys “upcoding” their cad to have more features.

I added an oem ford brake controller and used forscan to “code” my truck to activate it in the system.
    I see that becoming more mainstream. Or bypass panels. Someone’s gonna make an oem looking panel that will have seat warmer buttons, cruise control button etc etc.

evakat likes this.
  14. Ducati89

Till their ecu reads a bypass and shuts your car off.

15. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

And then someone manufactures a bypassed ecu...

Rebel635 likes this.
  16. Ducati89

Theyll control it. And fools will keep buying these cars, get controlled and then pay for an app to get what they paid for in the first place.

17. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

At that point, we can finally retrofit with carbs and points ignition to keep on the road!!

18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Cali is already legislating in ECU scans to check for modifications.

Ducati89 likes this.
  19. Ducati89

Yep....it'll be part of a regular inspection for some states.

20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Doesn't that mean that it's just going to be more of a "power commander" situation where the ECU stays stock but there's a component downstream that makes all the modifications necessary?